Thread: Force lift efforts to get Ripia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force lift efforts to get Ripia

Force lift efforts to get Ripia

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian June 30, 2010, 10:04 am

Related Links

The Western Force hope to move a step closer this week to snaring the signature of New Zealand Maori and Hurricanes fly-half Willie Ripia.
    It is understood the 24-year-old, who featured in the Maori wins over Ireland and England, will arrive in Perth today to spend a few days with the Force.
    Signing Ripia is a priority for the Force, who were left without a recognised playmaker when David Hill returned to his Japanese club Toshiba and they failed to snare the Queensland Reds' Quade Cooper.
    Ripia played for New Zealand under-21s and under-19s but would not be an overseas marquee signing because he has not played for the All Blacks. The Force already have discussed with the Australian Rugby Union the possibility of signing Ripia as their overseas developing payer.
    He joined the Hurricanes two years ago but is behind Aaron Cruden and has not had much Super 14 game time.
    In other news, hard-hitting outside back Scott Staniforth last night agreed to a one-year contract extension with the Force. Staniforth, who came back to the club during last season's injury crisis, was chased by the Waratahs and the Brumbies.
    The Force expect to receive good news on the re-signing of Wallaby winger Cameron Shepherd before Friday's club awards night.
    Another Force target, junior Springbok fly-half Sias Ebersohn, has told South African rugby website Keo.co.za that a move to Perth would be "plan C". Ebersohn, 21, has not made the Super 14 run-on side at the Cheetahs, where he was also second choice in the Vodacom Cup team behind Louis Strydom.
    He said the Cheetahs were still his first choice. "But it will be stupid for me to stay if I don't get opportunities," he told the website. "I want to play in the Currie Cup and Super 15.
    "The Sharks have also made a deal for me and I will sign for them if I'm not happy with the Cheetahs' offer. If both deals go sour, then I will consider going to the Force. I want to play Super Rugby. If that's my only opportunity, then I will take it."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-to-get-ripia/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Don't bother coming, Ebersohn, if we are third choice!

vCash
    I'm with you on that one PG! If the Force are a third choice then stay where you are.

vCash
    Lol aaaaaaw but he looks like Drew " the lover" boy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Lol aaaaaaw but he looks like Drew " the lover" boy
    I think not! He's waaaaay to slim and trim around the edges

I wouldn't mind Ripia. But I don't fancy the 3rd choice kid who is yet to play Super rugby. I'm not too sure who he thinks he is, but really, I don't think he's quite big enough to shoot down offers like that. Rude, thats what it is. Hrmph.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nonsense. All Ebersohn has said to SA rugby is that if he can't play at home for the Cheetahs, or near home for the Sharks, then he will bloody well move a big chunk of the world away if that's what it takes to play Super rugby. Hardly any surprises there! Can you imagine how we'd react if someone interviewed Godwin and he said that, nice as it would be to play for the Force or Melbourne at a pinch, what he'd really prefer is to go play for the Chiefs?

Anyway, I wonder if they had a look at the NZ U20 flyhalf while they were at it?