Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cross to the Tahs

Player
    vCash

Cross to the Tahs

RYAN Cross has set his sights on toppling incumbent Test centre Rob Horne at both state and Wallabies level after signing on to come home and play for the Waratahs next year.

The eight-Test Wallabies centre will return to the SFS - where he played nine seasons as a Roosters star - on a one-year deal, leaving the Western Force after four years in Perth.

Cross, who missed Australian selection for the June Tests, is determined to win back a spot in the Wallabies squad for next year's World Cup and believes a NSW homecoming can bring out his best form. The first hurdle will be displacing Horne at NSW, the current Test No.13.

"Being at the Force wasn't putting any pressure on me," Cross said last night. "The move to a strong set-up will be good for me. Rob is in the Test team at the moment so that's a big challenge but one I am ready to take on."

Cross, 30, said he'd been contemplating a move from mid-way through the Super 14 season but only began talking with NSW last week. An offer was put forward and the deal was finalised yesterday.

"Hopefully I can start enjoying it more playing finals rugby for a strong side like the Waratahs," Cross said.

Cross played inside centre for the Force this year - and the Wallabies - and is being looked at by NSW as a utility who can play both centre spots and wing.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said he'd spelt out the strength of the NSW backline to Cross and was impressed he was willing to fight for a spot.

"He was prepared to back himself, which is always a good sign," Hickey said.

In other news, Australian rugby officials have poured cold water on a proposal to play an IPL-style rugby tournament in South Africa from 2012 onwards.

Reports of the idea, which is pushed by former Springbok turned coach Rassie Eramus, surfaced yesterday and would see a three-week competition in January featuring the "200 best players in the world". Games would reportedly be 40-minutes long and have amended rules to limit kicking and be more exciting.

Australia were among those named as possible stars in eight privately owned franchises but it appears the promoter's chances of getting co-operation from the ARU - and likely the NZRU and SARU - is almost nil.

An ARU spokesman said yesterday that "contractual commitments to broadcasters and sponsors" to participate in Super 15 took precedence and that no player could be approached while under an ARU or state contract.

Organisers want players to negotiate a window in new contracts but it would seem unlikely any teams would let their stars play just weeks out from the tournament.

Northern stars would be in the middle of their seasons.

"To be honest, I couldn't see us sending any players over there," NSW coach Chris Hickey said.

http://forum.planet-rugby.com/index....95558&start=0&

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Cross Gone

Eastern papers today that Cross has signed for one year with the Tahs. The inference from his comments was that it was too easy to maintain his spot in the Force while he would have to compete for a position in a talented NSW line up.

Probably right at the moment as the Force is struggling to fill a top notch back line roster.

Will this tip Sheps hand and see him head to the Rebels???

vCash
    Cross hit it on the head with this reference "Being at the Force wasn't putting any pressure on me,The move to a strong set-up will be good for me. Rob is in the Test team at the moment so that's a big challenge but one I am ready to take on."
    and was likely a factor in his poor showing early on in the year along with the distraction in having to make that decision.

vCash
    Bah if a bloke needs pressure to put in 100% at game time then we are better off without them.

vCash
    does this mean we're keeping Spanner??!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    Cross, 30, said he'd been contemplating a move from mid-way through the Super 14 season
    Hmmmm.... says a lot about what we got to witness really.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    Hope so but no guarantees

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    gee Crossy, Mrs Happy is going to be pissed with you when she finds this out!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Another bloody mercenary.

Good riddance.

vCash
    ???

It was too easy to keep his spot, even though he played at 12 because Inman took his spot and now he wants to play 13 again but he would get it too easily at the force?

That just makes no sense.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Another bloody mercenary.

Good riddance.
    just because someone leaves does not make them a mercenary.

I said in another thread that a change may be what he needs to improve...

he has worked hard, whilst not being spectacular the last two seasons...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    gee Crossy, Mrs Happy is going to be pissed with you when she finds this out!!!
    We kind of prepped her for it last week though

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    Might depend on what their plans are now for 12, perhaps?

Good luck to Crossy, hope it works out for him.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    after the game against the Highlanders in Queenstown,a few of us wandered on to feild chatting to
    the players etc.The Force gathered together to have a team photo in celebration of the win;I noticed Cross,who was chatting to someone,had not joined the group.i yelled out to him that a team photo was about to take place & he just looked at me & shrugged his shoulders & carried on talking.
    So much for being a team man--it appeared he couldn't care less
    I was very disappointed with his attitude,this move comes as no suprise to me

Champion
    vCash
    waving good bye to Ryan Cross, he was good up to this year in the Super 14 season, but the last we will see him in Super Rugby. Wont get a start in the Tahs and will go back to league like the his other mates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast