Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEDDIES SCRAPE HOME IN LOW-SCORNG NAILBITER

vCash

NEDDIES SCRAPE HOME IN LOW-SCORNG NAILBITER

Flyhalf Mike Denton converted captain and prop Joe Richie's try three minutes before full time as Nedlands staged a great escape to scrape home 12-10 over Palmyra at Sir Charles Court Reserve in today's match of the round, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

In a low scoring game where Neddies dominated the set pieces but suffered from uncharacteristically poor hands, both teams had long periods of trench warfare attack in the opposition's 22 and both teams defended like men possessed.

In the end Neddies' two tries to one was enough to get them over the line for the win.

Palmyra led 10-5 at half time despite Nedlands having more of the ball and better attacking opportunities but suffered from poor hands in the face of Palmyra's hyperactive defence.

There was a lot of activity with both running and kicking in the opening minutes but after nine minutes Paly won a lineout on their 22 and spun the ball wide. Paly kicked ahead and centre Maia King caught the ball on the full, passing back in to inside centre Jonny Alston as they took the ball over Neddies' 22. The pair exchanged passes again as they eluded Nedlands desperate defence and King scored beside the posts. Flyhalf Eru Hoimona slotted the sitter and the visitors took an early lead.

First Palmyra went on attack and then Nedlands bounced back, coming very close when they turned over a couple of Palmyra lineouts in Paly's 22, but the Royal Blues couldn't penetrate the visitors' swarming defence.

After 27 minutes Hoimona intercepted and sprinted clear, handing on to Alston who would have gone all the way but ref Julian Pritchard called the movement back for a forward pass.

But Palmyra stayed on attack and Hoimona kicked a simple penalty when Neddies failed to roll away from a ruck in their 22.

Nedlands were soon back up the business end and after 35 minutes from a ruck in Paly's 22, the forwards went blind and number eight Richie Naylor crashed over in the tackle for a try in the corner. Denton narrowly missed the sideline conversion but it was anyone's game at 10-5 at half time.

Palmyra opened th second spell strongly but ill discipline cost them territory. Nedlands pressured Paly in their 22 but the visitors broke out down the blind and gained an attacking lineout in Neddies' 22. Paly assaulted Nedlands' line with 12 long minutes of grinding scrums, rucks and pick and drives while their backs stood and watched, only to turn over and see the home side kick clear.

Nedlands immediately conceded a scrum penalty and Palmyra went right back to thumping away at the Royal Blues' line, but the visitors lacked coordination in their forward assaults and were well contained.

Again they lost possession and Nedlands kicked and worked downfield, Denton missing a relatively simple penalty goql after 25 minutes that would have brought the Royal Blues dangerously close.

Nedlands stayed on attack, trying their hand at the heavy forward work close to Palmyra's line but their hands let them down again, and Palmyra moved out of danger with a relieving penalty.

No sooner were Palmyra back on attack than Neddies broke out for a length of the field foray, and a movement later wing Nic Stratfield was over in the corner, only to be called back for another forward pass.

Neddies kept thumpimg away as the clock ran down and then with three minutes on the clock, Richie collected a pass from untidy play out wide and bullocked over for the try. Denton slotted the conversion as if he had been kikcing them from everywhere all day, and Neddies led for the first and only time in the game, 12-10.

There was a few minutes frantic activity before the full time whistle but without result.

In other games, second-placed premiers Cottesloe thrashed Wanneroo 35-6 at Kingsway , Associates confirmed their fourth placing with a 28-25 win over fifth-placed Kalamunda at Hartfield, a rejuvenated Wests-Subiaco moved within a point of Wanneroo when they defeated University 23-13 at Rosalie Park and Rockingham continued Perth-Bayswater's miserable season with a 39-25 win at Lark Hill.

by Rick Boyd

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58511.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Close one - maybe a draw would have been a fairer result

Rookie
    vCash
    Players are accountable as are coaches- what about some of the imposters we have running around as referees!!!

Absolute joke- watched a premier game today when the most 'popular' ref in WA was at his best.

I will bang on, while we continue to rotate the ' top 10' refs thru first grade WA will have mediocrity. FYI WA rugby is regarded as a joke outside the state!!

A word to the referees, the game is not about you. You are there to facilitate!!!

How serious are we about developing the quality of rugby in this state.
    We pay lip service to it!!!!!!!! Send all our best EAST!!-don't give me the crap about the Shute being the Holy Grail!

Go the Dockers/Eagles or Joondalup 2020

Rookie
    vCash
    To whom do you refer Reds81?

Can you be more specific?

Didn't think there was such a thing as a "popular referee".

vCash
    'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.' - Terry Pratchett - Eric

vCash
    A ref popular?

Now I am intrigued.......

Mutually exclusive, I'd have thought.

Rookie
    vCash
    'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.' - Terry Pratchett - Eric

Probably right!!

No need to mention names. Popular as in........................

Champion
    vCash
    Where was the real Darkness???

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Sorry Hansie, put that one down as one you owe me.

Had to fly to Sydney on Thursday, away for a week or two. Hope no other bastards claimed my beer!

Heard the boys only just scraped home in both 1sts and 2nds. Didn't you promise we'd thrash Palmyra? Are you losing your grip as President?

You may need to give the team a pep talk just before they run on against Wanneroo next Saturday.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Darkness, I organised for about half a dozen guys to go up to Hansie during the game, introduce themselves as Darkness, and ask for the beer he promised.

He stopped buying after the third one though ...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Champion
    vCash
    I had advantage taken of me.... it was a straight short arm infringement and everyone played until a try was scored.

Sucked in I was.....

Both games could have gone either way - put it down to home ground advantage.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    wish I was there ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    wish I was there ...
    To be brutally honest, Coach, it wasn't that good a game. It was tight, and exciting because of that but it was the poorest exhibition I have seen from Neddies this season. And yes, Frank, some of that was down to Paly's pressure.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, it was pretty ordinary.

I blame Palmyra.

Nedlands were much more exciting in their last game against Perth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast