Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next Season

vCash

Next Season

I think that last season the Force used 38 players – 19 forwards and 19 backs. These are my thoughts on how we are shaping up for next season:

Props: This season: Cowan, Dunning, Fairbrother, Henderson and Longbottom. Next season: Henderson’s gone to the Rebels, but the remaining four look reasonable, as long as we don’t have the injury list of last year. Ah-Nua in the academy could be brought in as fifth prop.

Hooker: Charles, Tyrell and Whittaker. Tyrell’s career may be over, which leaves us possibly short at hooker, but Siliva has been performing well in the JWC and should be adequate cover.

Locks: Hockings, Jones, Stanford, Sharpe and Wykes (plus McCalman). Jones’s gone to the Rebels. There are question marks over Sharpe’s partner, and he won’t be around for ever, so another lock would be useful, but one of Hockings, Stanford and Wykes making the position their own would be preferable. We have no locks in the top two tiers of the academy.

Back-row: Brown, Hodgson, Jenkins, McCalman, Pocock and Postal. Undoubted strong point of the team, and with Manu and Pebbles in the academy this looks to continue. McCalman could be converted into a permanent (if slightly short) lock, but he, Wykes and Stanford are all flexible.

Scrum-half: O’Young and Sheehan, with Swanepoel and Turner from the academy. O’Young has retired, but Sheehan looked good last year and the youngsters both showed patches of incredible talent. Turner was hit by an injury in the JWC, but should be back next year, even if he’s behind Swanepoel due to fitness. A long-term injury to Sheehan could be a problem, but this is a guy who packed down at flanker in a scrum. I wouldn’t have thought the Force needs to recruit another scrum-half this year, but Stannard's name is being mentioned.

Fly-half: Hill, Hunt and Pretorius (plus Bartholomeusz, Harris and O’Connor). Hill’s gone back to Japan with all our best wishes (and not only for that drop goal) and Pretorius may or may not be back for next year. Hunt and the academy players (Godwin and Holmes, who can also play full back) have a grand total of zero Super 14 starts between them. This is our most problematical position. Can we get Pretorius for another season? Will Bartholomeusz use the off-season to prepare to be starting scrum-half? If Hunt and/or Godwin are as good as reports, is another marquee fly-half the best option (in for one year)?

Centres: Cross, Harris, Inman, O’Connor, Sare, Staniforth and Tatapu (with Rapana and Te Ante in the academy). I think Tatapu, Harris and Sare have been released/moved on. Cross had a poor season, but was playing with a significant amount of tape on his shoulder, and is linked with the Waratahs. Rumours link Staniforth with the Brumbies, Rebels and Waratahs (come on Reds – make it a full set!). O’Connor could be moved to either 10 or 15 full-time. There are a number of good players there, but only Inman has no question marks over his presence next season. Therefore, centre is another area of concern, and the retention of Cross and Staniforth are only short-term measures. I’d say we need to try and recruit another centre (or two). Getting Harris back may be an option, due to his versatility.

Wings/full-back: Bartholomeusz, Cummings, Haylett-Petty, Shepherd, plus O’Connor. Short on depth, especially with Bart and Rabbit performing multiple roles. Cross, Sare and Staniforth were used as wingers, but all are better centres. Some see Cummings as a centre ultimately, as he doesn’t have top-notch pace. I’d say this is another area of concern, and I’d scour the JWC, local comps and Shute Shield for true speedsters, regardless of ball skills. Alternatively, use winger as a position for an academy player to make a name for themselves.

The best team I can see next season, barring injuries, is: Cowan, Whittaker, Fairbrother, McCalman, Sharpe, Hodgson, Pocock, Brown, Sheehan, Bartolomeusz, Cummins, O’Connor, Inman, Staniforth, Shepherd; Charles, Dunning, Hockings, Wykes, Turner, Cross, Haylett-Petty.

Therefore, from what I can see, our needs going into next season are: young lock (much as Luke Jones was supposed to be), marquee fly-half (Pretorius back?), young centre or two and a speedster or two. We also need to tell some players (eg, Hockings, Stanford, Cross, Haylett-Petty) that they have to perform or move on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    just heard tryell has got all clear from doctors and can start playing again

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    thats great news

vCash
    That's not great news

THATS FUGGEN FANTASTIC NEWS! ! ! ! !

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    just heard tryell has got all clear from doctors and can start playing again
    Fantastic news! Will he be 'taking it easy' in local games this season and then returning to the Force? I can imagine the reaction he'll get if he comes back.

vCash
    FANTASTIC news from Ryan Tyrell.

With Nick Cummins - wasn't he a centre pre-force days? And JM slotted him in at winger. He wouldn't stuggle to swap back. Top analysis Sheikh

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    il probably get crucified for this, but with so many vacant positions in the Force squad and senior players like Cross and Staniforth looking at leaving and Shepherd unsigned, is it still considered the best option to have your head coach in south africa assisting another team?

vCash
    I was wondering that, too. But, this can't have been unforseen. What was the plan?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    fantastic news about tyrell!
    see you in blue next year mate!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    il probably get crucified for this, but with so many vacant positions in the Force squad and senior players like Cross and Staniforth looking at leaving and Shepherd unsigned, is it still considered the best option to have your head coach in south africa assisting another team?
    He's on leave - not much they can do about him being away...

vCash
    Who are we currently looking at that arent currently contracted (ive included spanner as he was only on a temp contract anyway)

Willie Ripia
    Spanner
    Josias Ebersohn
    Mike Harris
    Stannard

what about the engine room any names floating around?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

not having a go at you here. but bottom line is that they probably couldnt refuse his leave.
    i mean what he does with himself on his leave is no buisness of rugbywa or the force.

i mean, he could want the time off to sit at the pub...

vCash
    Good post Sheikh,

I'm possibly wrong here but I thought I read that Richard Stanford was released/moved on? If this is the case then we really need to prioritise our lock succession plan (if we ever had one) because we can't lose Sharpie and find we only have 2 inexperienced guys in the second-row.

You mentioned Jenkins, is this Jono Jenkins the guy built like an action man doll that lasted 1 1/2 minutes before doing his ankle? I thought we borrowed him last year because of the dire straits we were in with injuries? Didn't we give him back? - isn't that the general rule when you borrow? Have we ever given anyone back?

Like you say fly-half is the big worry but apparently it is being treated as a prioity by the Force. You mentioned Hunt but isn't there some concern with where he is at as far as his development is concerned? Didn't I read a post recently where someone said he is playing reserve grade in the Sydney comp. It sounds like he will need to lift his game a few levels befoehe could be considered for S15..

vCash
    ok so we dont know the details of the contract* and look purely at the fact that he is overseas concentrating on another coaching gig whilst he still has nearly 1/3 of the Force squad for 2011 unsigned, you cant tell me that something is wrong there.

*however it would be ludicrous of RugbyWA not to have a stipulation about coaching other professional sides

vCash
    TOCC you seem to have overlooked the fact that South Africa has the one of the Largest player bases in the world possibly behind France i think.. So while there is speculation about his intentions why dont we speculate in the positive... maybe he is looking at our player stock options over west rather than east..............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast