Generation next for Deans

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans has admitted he would be interested in extending his future in Australia for the British and Irish Lions tour in 2013.

But Deans, whose four-year contract with the ARU expires at the end of next year, is quick to qualify he is not dedicating any time or thought to his future while concentrating on steering the Wallabies to success this year.
Deans' time at the helm - he joined the Wallabies in 2008 - has been one of generational change. And although he has defeated every major Test nation, with 18 wins from 31 Tests, Australia have not claimed either the Bledisloe Cup or Tri Nations.
But many still believe the youthful Wallabies are timing their run well for the 2011 World Cup. With the Lions set to tour Australia two years after that, the Deans-built side could be entering an era of great promise.

Asked if he would be keen to stay through to the 2013 Lions tour, Deans said: "That will be a fantastic series to be a part of, no doubt."
Pressed as to whether he would remain as coach if the ARU were keen to have him around after his current contract, Deans added: "I would love it if they were keen to have me around, but it is just not worthwhile spending time thinking about it now. Yeah, that's my answer. But don't take that answer out of context."
The context is Deans' passion to remain grounded in the present, although he and his family are firmly settled in Australia.
"In terms of down the track, my philosophy is very much making the most of what we do. It is no different to being a player. If you master what you do at any given moment, then you have the best chance of enjoying the next moment and getting opportunities to that end. But you will never catch me thinking about down the track and not concentrating on the now," Deans said.
The 50-year-old could at least be excused a glance into the future for his Wallabies. He has slowly but surely reconstructed the side in both image and philosophy from the 2007 World Cup Wallabies.
Only 10 of Australia's 30-man squad in that tournament still remain with the Wallabies just three years later.
Deans has given 21 players Test debuts and continues to blood new talent.
Even with an average age under 25, many of the Deans era are now amassing experience. It is not only hoped they will crack Australia's silverware drought this year, but also challenge for a third World Cup next year. Deans said the generational change after 2007 was "a necessity".
"Because we had the passing of a generation and a group of players who'd been in their position for a long time and been part of the senior leadership, if you like," Deans said.
"It was a reality in terms of personnel there was some change, and it's probably a philosophical change as well as a result with that generational change.
"There was a conscious philosophical change around leadership as well."
Deans said he had to pick players who were bold enough to back their talents.
"We were in a position where we couldn't wait for those players to get experience under their belt because the viewing public doesn't care. The kids who come along and watch are not aware of how many caps a player has, they just want to see them thrive."
Asked if he felt he was now where he'd hoped to be back in 2008, Deans said he "didn't look at it in that light".
"It's a continuum. You learn it's day to day, hand to mouth, in this industry," he said.
With 16 Test matches to play before the 2011 World Cup, Deans doesn't entertain talk of Australia's chances in the tournament. But that's not to say one column of his planning sheet doesn't factor it in, and that was seen with his unwillingness to turn back to experienced props in the current injury crisis.
"It is a bit like on and off the field for me: short-term focus but with a long-term outlook. It serves you well. Because a short-term focus, full stop, doesn't serve you well. You start making decisions and choices and it ends up biting you in the long run," Deans said. "I am a great believer that you have to cater for both as you move. All the best programs have an eye on both."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225881743027