Thread: James O'Connor to become the Wallabies X-factor at fullback

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

James O'Connor to become the Wallabies X-factor at fullback

James O'Connor to become the Wallabies X-factor at fullback

By Eddie Jones
    June 19, 2010 Debate rages over James O'Connor's best position, but his finish to Super 14 and this first month of the international season have confirmed the fullback jumper fits very snugly.
    His best attribute is his world-class running. He is quick and sharp, and has a nose for space.

With the new insistence on kick-chase defenders being onside before going forward, space for kick-return gains from poor kicks has really opened up and O’Connor at fullback gives the Aussies a real X-factor.

Smaller players such as O'Connor and new Springbok Gio Aplon, who is just 74kg, have come back into their own. Their ability to beat defenders one-on-one in space is invaluable.

An interesting stat from the early Tests is the high percentage of tries from kick-return and turnover ball - 80 per cent of the All Blacks' tries, 70 per cent of the Wallabies' tries and 63 per cent of the Boks' tries are coming from unstructured possession.

So while set-piece possession is important, the ability to attack with shape and motion from unstructured ball has grown in significance.

O’Connor has a reasonable kicking game but needs to improve his consistency in high-ball catching to be the full package there.

Adam Ashley-Cooper's future would appear to be suited to outside centre, where he can use his strength to dent the defence like another Stirling Mortlock.

The Aussies were decimated in the scrums by England in Perth last weekend, but the tactical nous of the English was so lacking they could not take advantage.

The Poms have a strong scrum and a good lineout. They should try to play the game from set pieces, play to their strengths.

They should be playing Jonny Wilkinson tonight, not having him sit on the bench.

He could kick to contest or to the corners. The Poms need to keep the phase play low and use direct ball runners such as Mike Tindall, Shontayne Hape and Nick Easter to crash over the gain line.

England are too confused to do this, which has allowed the Aussies the luxury of being so poor at scrum time.

The blooding of the young front row is admirable, and the benefits to the Wallabies will be seen in three or four years when prop Ben Daley and co will be fine Test players.

A World Cup just 14 months away is too close, so the scrummaging will need to be fortified or it will be exposed. Benn Robinson and Ben Alexander are needed back from injury.

The Springboks, for instance, will not let the Wallabies off the hook like the Poms have.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We are stuck with the front row we've got this year. Ben A is out for 6 weeks TPN is going under the knife and I can't find anything on the expected return of Benn the fat cat. It all adds up to either smashing the glass and getting somebody who doesn't figure in the extended plans or developing the players who will warm the bench in the future.

I guess Robbie's right in selecting the latter, but I hope the priority set has been approved by his employers, because ATM winning a trinations this year and preparing for a World Cup next year are looking a bit mutually exclusive!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    JOC I think was too good for himself tonite I dont think the backline needs gits joc and qc all togther too many stars trying to be tricky rather than play basic footy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    JOC I think was too good for himself tonite I dont think the backline needs gits joc and qc all togther too many stars trying to be tricky rather than play basic footy.
    No the backline needs them, they just need to work as a team and stop the stupid kangaroo jumping antics and pass to each other.

Way too much ego floating around. Deep down I reckon Quade and Gits would love it when one has a bad game or makes a bad play. He'd have been loving it when Gits missed them easy penalties.

Easily the best backline in world rugby at the moment, problem is you'll never advance as a team and win that cup next year until them pretty boys go behind the bike sheds and sort it out.

vCash
    its more or less a case that these boys need to learn how to play with each other, this is the first time as a backline that these guys have all played together and its proably going to take a few games to truly figure each other out but i have no doubt that they all have a position in the backline.

If anything, i think maybe Horne doesnt exactly fit into the backline, i think maybe AAC, Digby or even Chambers would all be a better fit for the backline at 13, they offer a more physical presence and the power to get over the advantage line when things are stangnant.