Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decision time for Force targets

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Decision time for Force targets

Decision time for Force targets

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian June 19, 2010, 5:49 am

WA News / Mal Fairclough © Enlarge photo

Western Force management will spend the weekend in talks with three players crucial to next season's Super rugby campaign.
    And they want quick decisions from wingers Cameron Shepherd and Scott Staniforth and centre Ryan Cross so the Force can move forward with their planning.
    Shepherd seems closest to re-signing. He has turned down an offer from the ACT Brumbies and, although he is still being pursued by the Melbourne Rebels, looks set to commit to the Force.
    The Brumbies and the Waratahs are chasing Staniforth, who said he would announce his decision early next week. The Force admit they have some work to do to keep Cross.
    "Shep's pretty close," said Force chief executive Vern Reid. "He has given every indication that he's happy to stay with the Force, but we've said it's time to get it done."
    The same deadline has been given to Staniforth, 32, the inaugural Force player of the year who moved into a stronger bargaining position last week after surgeons decided he did not need surgery on a neck injury he sustained against the Lions in South Africa in round 12 earlier this year.
    Staniforth, who rejoined the club from Japan during last season's injury crisis, also is considering out-of-season employment prospects and what best suits his young family.
    "We'll be talking over the next few days and come up with a plan," he said. "There's a lot of chatting to be done with everyone involved."
    Cross' deal with the Force and the ARU ends this year and his manager, Nick Fordham, said there had been interest from other Super franchises, as well as from overseas. A return to rugby league had not been ruled out.
    "We've got a little bit of work to do there," Reid said. "We've put an offer to him for 2011 and he's currently in talks with the ARU."
    If Staniforth and Shepherd commit to the Force, the club still will be in the hunt for another back-three player and a centre.
    The club has been negotiating with former Reds and Brumbies utility back Gene Fairbanks for five months and an offer has been tabled. "He has agreed in principle, we're just waiting for the paperwork," Reid said.
    The club is looking closely at Australian under-20s centre Robbie Coleman, 19, who is in the Brumbies system.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...force-targets/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I hope all 3 re-sign, expecially Cross as he looks vital to helping Inman develop.

vCash
    Cross is likely to be behind the 8 ball a bit. It certainly seems that he's slipped behind Inman in the pecking order and I can't imagine him signing for the bench. The only possibility is if he considers it an opportunity to fight for a spot, giving him motivation to improve.

There will also be questions over his ARU top up, I would think overseas or NRL is a HUGE option. If Tahu, Sailor and Rogers can return to league and do well, Cross should tear it up!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Cross is likely to be behind the 8 ball a bit. It certainly seems that he's slipped behind Inman in the pecking order and I can't imagine him signing for the bench. The only possibility is if he considers it an opportunity to fight for a spot, giving him motivation to improve.

There will also be questions over his ARU top up, I would think overseas or NRL is a HUGE option. If Tahu, Sailor and Rogers can return to league and do well, Cross should tear it up!
    Cross is playing inside now though, that is where he found his form for Aus A aswell a few seasons ago.

I'd definitely keep him there for another year, he takes a lot of the heat off Inman and lets him play himself in.

vCash
    I am expecting Cross to head to Europe for the $$$$
    With the rugby world cup looking bleak and the emergence of inman i wouldnt blame him.

vCash
    bugger off melbourne rebels/eastern states ! Shepherd and Staniforth are ours. still undecided about Cross, when he's on he's on, but he has a tendency recently to be dreadfully off.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    If Cross goes then who is moved to 12?

Could O'Connor & Inman really handle the traffic together so soon?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    I am expecting Cross to head to Europe for the $$$$
    With the rugby world cup looking bleak and the emergence of inman i wouldnt blame him.
    I think you're probably right, I have been a big fan of Cross in the past but I think his days as a Wallaby have passed. I doubt whether the ARU will give him any top-up now that his contract with them has expired. Dingo is going with his youth policy and Ryan is on the wrong age side of that policy.
    If there is no ARU top-up and the Force is limited to a maximum payment then it will come down to a third party deal.
    The last few years he has in the sport he will rightly want to earn as many bucks as he can, so I think he will probably head off to Europe - if he does I hope he goes well.

vCash
    I doubt the ARU will offer him much of a top up, realistically he is behind AAC, Horne, Chambers and Ioane for a starting 13 spot in the Wallabies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    I hope all 3 re-sign, expecially Cross as he looks vital to helping Inman develop.
    Cross has not done a thing this year and Inman deserve the start next year

vCash
    Cross played the last two games as one of the best on the field!... definitely more comfortable this year at 12 than 13. I still think he is value even with his poor form early on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Cross has not done a thing this year and Inman deserve the start next year
    What games were you watching? Cross caught most of Inmans missed tackles and ran lines giving Inman more attacking runs on the set piece.

He hasn't been spectacular this year, but he has been solid - and that's exactly what we need with a new 10 and young 13.

vCash
    i think cross still has value to add to the force.
    if not value, definatley experience

Rookie
    vCash
    I have watched the Rats for the last couple of weeks and the form of current and ex Force players is so good. Brett Sheehan as a 10 is on fire and his combination Sam Harris at 12 is really good. Tom Hockings has played well in his 2 matches and the form of Luke Holmes has been consistent all season.
    Unfortunately Haig Sare injured his ankle last weekend and is going to miss the season.
    AJ Whalley played on the weekend and he went well as did Rapana.
    But the combination of Sheehan at 10 and Harris at 12 is so good, I wonder why the Force didn't try it this Super 14, I reckon its the best 10 12 combination I have seen throughtout the Toohey's New Shute season this year, and Sheehan goal kicking I awesome.
    I wonder if Harris continues his current form whether he will sign for another season because when he came off the bench as a back 12 he was very good and I wonder if they will Sheehan a ran as a 10.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Harris has been let go as well as Haig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast