Thread: Force on the hunt as Quade sticks to Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force on the hunt as Quade sticks to Reds

The Western Force's hunt for a quality playmaker has become just a bit more desperate with Wallaby fly-half Quade Cooper re-signing with the Queensland Reds.

While the move was not totally unexpected, the Force were quietly hoping Cooper would come west after tabling an offer to the star playmaker two months ago.

Now, with one less option open to them, Force chief executive Vern Reid said the club had to make progress within the next month.

"We don't have any choice. We've got to find a 10 good enough to run the game at this level," Reid said.

The door has also been shut on the Stormers' Peter Grant, who has signed with the South African Super 14 finalists for next year.

Last year the Force made an unsuccessful bid for Grant, who has relatives in Perth.
    They are still monitoring last season's marquee signing Andre Pretorius, who did not play a game after ripping his left hamstring.

The 30-year-old former Springbok hopes to make his comeback through the Currie Cup with the Sharks.

If he did return to Perth, it would only be a stop-gap measure for the Force, who must be hoping they can unearth a young talent for the longer term.

"Realistically we need two No.10s and we have four or five options that we are developing," Reid said.

Reid was coy about specific targets but revealed they had asked Australia's under-20 coach and ARU high performance coach David Nucifora to keep an eye on potential talent at the Junior World Championship being played in Argentina.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ticks-to-reds/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sign one of Greg Petersen or Phoenix Battye to replace Luke Jones. Re-sign Pretorius if he makes it through the Currie Cup and maybe sign a overseas development player from the JWC as suggested. Look into a young winger and centre from the Australian team and you are all sorted.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I think you will find a large numer of those u20 players are already signed up to teams for 2011
    5 of the starting side are signed to the Reds squad for the next 2 years, not including those in the academy

Johno Lance might be a good aquisition though, a solid player. Aidan Toua is a player I rate, but a run of injuries curtailed his chance for a s15 cap
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who said we were looking at just Aussies??

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    A lot of them are sure but a lot of them aren't. I think the Waratahs are very keen on Petersen but haven't signed him and as far as I'm aware Battye is only in the Brumbies academy and not contracted.

Pretty sure there is at least one wing and one centre in there who aren't signed anywhere. Don't think Robbie Coleman or Greg Whatshisname (Jeludeuv?) are contracted for example.

Jono Lance would be a reasonable option but would he only end up going back to the Reds? If you had someone over to do residency time they'd probably be more keen to stay at the Force for the three years + extras. Do you think the Reds won't hold onto Toua?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A lot of them are sure but a lot of them aren't. I think the Waratahs are very keen on Petersen but haven't signed him and as far as I'm aware Battye is only in the Brumbies academy and not contracted.

Pretty sure there is at least one wing and one centre in there who aren't signed anywhere. Don't think Robbie Coleman or Greg Whatshisname (Jeludeuv?) are contracted for example.

Jono Lance would be a reasonable option but would he only end up going back to the Reds? If you had someone over to do residency time they'd probably be more keen to stay at the Force for the three years + extras. Do you think the Reds won't hold onto Toua?
    Aidan hasnt been contracted for 2011, unless they are going to use there last squad position on him then i doubt he will go for a academy contract for another year. He has a lot of talent, he just hasnt been able to put it to fruition, he had a bad 18months where he was injured and then suffered from lack of enthusiasm, however he seems to have returned to pretty good form now.

vCash
    Lachlan MacKay is leaving Brive, he had a good season for them and i think he could be a good signing for you.

vCash
    Lachy's a good player, but we've already got Shep to keep the medical staff busy!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Would love to see Lachy back, he never really got going here because of injury