Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooper key to Anesi move

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cooper key to Anesi move

Cooper key to Anesi move

WESTERN Force has expressed interest in former All Black outside back Sosene Anesi for next year's Super 15 season.

However, the level of its curiosity could be determined by Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper's decision on his future.
    The Force is waiting to see whether NSW Waratahs re-sign Anesi for another season before deciding whether to make him an offer.
    Significantly, Anesi would take up the Force's marquee import spot, which means it would need an Australian or an emerging foreign player to play five-eighth.
    Former Springbok Andre Pretorius was meant to play five-eighth for the Force this year, but sustained a season-ending injury.
    After playing Sam Harris and James O'Connor at five-eighth, the club eventually filled the position with former All Black David Hill.
    Pretorius is trying out for a place in the Sharks squad, while Hill has returned to Japan.

The Force could play O'Connor at five-eighth next year and Anesi at fullback, but is still hopeful of luring Cooper from Queensland Reds.
    "We are interested to see what Sosene Anesi is doing," Force chief executive Vern Reid said.
    But Reid said the Force's priority was still to secure a five-eighth.
    "We have had an offer on the table for Quade for three months," he said. "It's up to Quade. Number 10 is the spot we have to fill."
    The club is confident of re-signing fullback Cameron Shepherd and is renegotiating with centre Ryan Cross.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225878160448

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Why would we be interested in a player that in the end warmed a bench for the Waratahs because he wasnt good enough? GOBSMACKED!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Player
    vCash
    Agree. He was pretty disappointing. Very one dimensional with his running. I would say we should focus on getting either Grant or Cooper at 10 and let Shep go back to fullback and JOC to 12.
    A backline of Turner-Cooper-Cummins-O'Connor-Inman-Stanners/New wing-Shepherd would be pretty awesome I reckon. Don't think it's worth hanging on to Cross personally. I think Inman is looking more effective at 13 and our backline play is VERY limited with Cross playing at 12. Would rather get another really potent back three player. Wonder if Davies and Morahan are contracted to the Reds for next year... At least one of them is going to be warming the bench.

vCash
    They should give DHP the fullback spot if O'Connor is moving to second five with Cooper.

Champion
    vCash
    DHP didn't perform well this year when given the opportunity.
    Its hard as DHP is a star in local rugby, but can't quiet step up to Super rugby... offseason may bring a different story.

vCash
    Anesi would be a waste of money IMO, will provide depth but not much more
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Doug Howlett - Scott Hamilton are all wanting to come back to the southern hempishere.

but i thought we signed Gene Fairbanks.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    DHP didn't perform well this year when given the opportunity.
    Its hard as DHP is a star in local rugby, but can't quiet step up to Super rugby... offseason may bring a different story.
    DHP still so young...give him a chance! Plenty of time

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Well I hope this doesn't eventuate - would definitely be a waste of money & our marquee spot! He hasn't shown much all season for the Tahs.

Shepherd should still be the number 1 option for fullback if JO'C moves to 12.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    DHP wasn't too flash this year but its another year's experience. To be fair to him, the Faingaa twins weren't too flash last year and this year they were sensational. I'd rather give DHP game time than a fairly average marquee import. Anesi would be a total waste of money/time.

Recruitment has been very odd out of Force HQ.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm not sure all of these stories are from Force HQ - recruitment rumours are often generated by player's agents trying to drum up interest to get a better deal. The other alternative is that the rumours are smoke-screens put out to mis-direct others or hurry along signings (eg, they are talking to someone who then reads this and thinks "If I don't sign for the Force soon they'll withdraw their offer.")

Either way, the rumours are fun, but shouldn't be confused with reality.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah I guess I shouldn't read too much into it.

More concerned with the lack of recruiting really. I am kind of hoping that the Force are keeping a watchful eye over the U20 world championships before making a few choice acquisitions. There just hasn't really been a lot of noise re recruiting coming out of the Force camp.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    If we were to let DHP go in favour of Anesi it would be one of the stupidest moves the force have made. DHP has plenty of talent and will come good. He was probably a year underdone when he got tossed in this year (due to injuries) and his confidence took a hit.

As well as the Finger twins, last year Reds fans were saying Rod Davies was the worst professional winger they had ever seen and had speed but no skills. Now he is being touted as a wallaby bolter.

vCash
    IMO the reason DHP wasn't as flash this year was due to trust, not his abilities. We all know he can defend from his Sevens, but when you're not used to playing near someone, you don't know whether to move up or stay on the line/shift wide etc. Inman made a few of the same shockers early on but as he got more familiar with Cross they made a great duo in the centres on defense.

Anesi had a good start for the mooloos but never really hanged onto his early form and then Masaga took his spot.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That would be a really shit recruitment effort.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast