Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grant could sound out Force if shunned by Boks

vCash
    Don't tell me SARU are dumb enough to not see he's far and away the best option as a backup to Steyn?

Has he played any time for the Boks? Could he qualify for the Wallabies and be our development player?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Im pretty sure he is capped by the Boks.

I actually think he is the #3 flyhalf option for the Boks, but he can also cover 12 (where he would be 4th in line I think behind De Villiers, Murray and whatsit who seems to get a lot of starts for the Boks for the quota). Steyn is by far and away the #1, but I think Peinaar is #2. The Sharks were starting Goode at the start of the season because he was their import. Once they realised he was shit, they moved him to the bench and Peinaar back in, and the Sharks turned their season around. Peinaar can also cover 9, where he would be second fiddle 9 to du Preez.

Does anyone know if Peinaar is staying in Safferland next year? If he goes that will really pave the way for Grant to get a shot at the boks, so I hope Peinaar stays.

vCash
    i was lead to believe most of the bulls and stormers boks wont be involved at the start and will be brought back in for trinations.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    i was lead to believe most of the bulls and stormers boks wont be involved at the start and will be brought back in for trinations.
    Yes Id forgotten about that, so Grant will probably get a run then. Bugger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Has he played any time for the Boks? Could he qualify for the Wallabies and be our development player?
    Grant has 5 Boks caps!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Marque player only.

vCash
    I'm not seeing what the fuss is. He's never been flashy. His brain is full of farts just waiting to explode during the game. His goal kicking is incredible, no doubt, but every game I've watched of the Stormers (granted, it's not very many) his tactical play has been total poo. Maybe the board of approval at my house are a little stung about his previous rejection of the Force.

I'd much prefer a 10 who can create play rather than can slot over a penalty goal from just about anywhere, which is what Peter Grant has struck me as a couple of times.

I'll watch tonight and see if he can change my mind.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    He had a cracker of a game, although maybe relied too much on Fourie to break the line and didnt seem to want to go himself, tackling was superb and his tactical kicking kept the Stormers in the Game...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Marque player only.
    That makes him a poor option....and Perth a poor option for him, He will only get a max 1 year with an option and he's looking for somewhere to make a retirement fund. Japan or Europe would be easier money.

The crazy thing is, he could qulify for Australian Citizenship, but not qualify to play for the Force, I understand the restriction on being a Wallaby, but not the provincial team.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post

Does anyone know if Peinaar is staying in Safferland next year? If he goes that will really pave the way for Grant to get a shot at the boks, so I hope Peinaar stays.
    Pretty sure I just read somewhere that Pienaar has signed for a team in Europe/ UK ofr next season. But that doesn't discount him from playing for the Boks- see F.Steyn and others recently named.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pienaar Joins Ulster

Following a report in South African Newspaper, The Sunday Tribune, in which Springbok Coach Peter de Villiers confirmed Ruan Pienaar's move to Northern Ireland, Ulster are delighted to announce that Ruan will join Ulster Rugby on a two year contract. Negotiations for his release are still ongoing with his Province, The Sharks.

Having made his Super 14 debut with the Sharks in 2005, Ruan then made his first appearance for the Springboks in 2006 against New Zealand and was a member of the victorious 2007 Rugby World Cup squad. To date, Ruan has won 36 Springbok caps and has scored 85 Test points.

Speaking about Ulster Rugby's decision to recruit the World Cup winning Springbok, Ulster Rugby Operations Director David Humphreys remarked: "Bringing Ruan to Ulster is a massive statement of our ambition to be competing with the top teams in the Magners League and ERC. He is one of the most naturally gifted players in world rugby and having had huge experience at international level with the Springboks, we believe Ruan will help Ulster achieve success over the next couple of seasons."

Ruan will be joining former Springbok and Sharks players, BJ Botha and Johann Muller, in the Ulster squad next season.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Apparently he is off to Japan now.

Grant to Japan
    2010-6-7

Spingbok and Stormers flyhalf Peter Grant departs to Japan shortly to continue his career there while the South African flyhalf cubbord is getting barer. Grant will however return next year to play for the Stormers.
    This announcement is expected on Tuesday at Newlands when the return of Jean de Villiers and the inclusion of CJ vand der Linde will also be announced for the Stormer’s 2011 squad.
    Joe Pietersen also departs shortly to France, along with loosehead prop JD Moller who have both decided to further their careers at Bayonne.
    Cape Town is hoping that Conrad Jantjies has recovered enough to fill the void left by Pietersen, and that Willem de Waal or Lionel Cronje will be able to fill Grant’s shoes at ten.
    Grant has represented Western Province 55 times, the Stormers 60 times and has 5 test caps for the Springboks. He is generally considered to be Monre Steyn’s understudy.
    With both him and Ruan Pienaar being abroad soon, and Frans Steyn, Butch James and Derick Hougaard already there, the scene is set fot the next generation of local flyhalves to prove themselves.

Cheetah, Meyer Bosman is rumoured to be a Shark as of next year. The Sharks have been aggressively campaigning to obtain a quality flyhalf themselves this year.

http://www.suparugby.com/pages/Defau...e=Grant+Japan+ toe+-+7+June+2010&FeatureID=15628&SectionID=167 (its in Afrikaans - they did a translation over at PR - http://forum.planet-rugby.com/index....93930&start=0&)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bugger...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Bugger...
    Wot he said..

vCash

confirmed ......

Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Wot he said..
    Fly-half Peter Grant will not be around for the Currie Cup season as he has been given leave to play in Japan. Despite several excellent performances for the Stormers this year, Grant has not found favour with Springbok coach Peter de Villiers and was overlooked for recent Springbok squads.

Grant will, however, return to Cape Town for the Super 15 season next year.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...197238,00.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2