Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grant could sound out Force if shunned by Boks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Grant could sound out Force if shunned by Boks

I must admit, watching him play last Saturday night having seen him shine basically all year, I could help but think "I wonder what might have been" had we been able to sign him the first time.
    Come on over Peter, even if you get selected for the Boks it still won't be to start.

Grant could sound out Force if shunned by Boks

RUPERT GUINNESS
    May 28, 2010

Peter Grant, the Stormers five-eighth who booted the Waratahs out of the Super 14 finals series, could be the next Springboks player to sign with an Australian side.

The Herald understands that Grant, 25, has told associates that should he not be selected for the Springboks squad this season he will seek to play next year in Australia.

The Super 15 side he would be most keen to join is the Western Force, which almost recruited him last year when it needed a replacement for Matt Giteau, who left to rejoin the Brumbies.

Grant was not in the Springboks squad for next month's Test against Wales in Cardiff that was named after Saturday's 25-6 semi-final win by the Stormers against the Waratahs in Cape Town.

As he is playing in the Stormers-Bulls Super 14 final at Orlando Stadium in Soweto on Saturday (Sunday morning, Sydney time), his omission could be because selectors have chosen to rest him. Several Springboks candidates from both starting sides were also not named in the squad.

However, insiders have told the Herald that Grant, who has five Test caps, is no certainty, despite his impressive season that included his scoring 20 points against the Waratahs, with six penalties and a conversion, last weekend.

If omitted, or if Grant senses his Springboks days are over, it is believed he will try to get a start on anyone intent on playing overseas once their World Cup hopes are over by joining the Force.

The Force yesterday reassured Grant that their door was open, although he rejected an offer from them last year that eventually went to another Springbok in Andre Pretorius.

The Force said they had not spoken to Grant recently. But their general manager, Mitch Hardy, said: ''We got pretty close to him when we were looking for a marquee 10 last time.

''So if he was keen to come and have a look at Australian again - pending what happens with his Springbok aspirations - we would be keen on having a chat to his management. Absolutely.

''We still have a No.10 spot available, so if he is still keen in a chat we would be interested. We had some really good talks with him last time. He has had a fantastic season.

''But I would be very surprised if he doesn't get in the Springboks squad, to be perfectly honest.

''We had sort of written off that he would be a Springbok now and that his time would be taken up this year and the next with the World Cup.

''But you never know. South African rugby is a strange animal at the best of times. So, if he gets cast aside, we will be ready to jump. I think he would go down well in Australian rugby.''

In the Super 14 final Grant will come up against one his biggest rivals for Springbok selection - Bulls No.10 Morne Steyn, a five-eighth from a different mould.

Grant is admired for his defence, delivery and ability to run with the ball in hand. Steyn offers a brilliant kicking game that all too often has broken the hearts of his opposition.

What will be one of the most intriguing elements to the final is what impact both men will have.

However, Grant is playing down the contest.

''A lot's been said about the kicking game, and I agree that Morne Steyn and [halfback] Fourie du Preez are brilliant kickers, but [in the final], a lot will depend on the performance of the forwards,'' Grant told the www.keo.co.za website.

''Every flyhalf wants to play behind a winning pack, and I've been getting some nice ball to work with from my forwards.

''Whoever gets that momentum will come out on top. I certainly don't think it's going to be a case of me versus Morne. It's not a man-on-man thing.''

Meanwhile, tickets for the final have all sold out at the 32,500 capacity Orlando Stadium.

Because it will be an all-South African title decider, SANZAR has allowed for the South African national anthem - Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika - to be sung before the kick-off.

However, despite all the expected pre-game fanfare, a final between two South African teams is destined to be a dour, low-scoring affair.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thinking the same thing Burgs.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Peter De Villiers attitude and ego could be the best thing for the Force. Grant seems to be issuing ultimatums to him which would go down well with PDV who has the last say on selecting the squad.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It'd be great if we could sign Grant. Add in a speedster winger like Clinton Sills and we have the making of a successful backline again.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Add in a speedster winger like Clinton Sills and we have the making of a successful backline again.[/QUOTE]

or SBW!

Champion
    vCash
    he be worth his $ just as a goal kicker... bring him on quick.....

vCash
    its a yes from me.....

vCash
    im not liking what/who we have to resort to..

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    there were a fair few among us who were very negative of Grants abilities last year when they sounded him out..

I say he was Probably the third Best 5/8th behind Steyn & Cooper this year and hisplace kicking is phenominal.

Bring him into the fold i say!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To be perfectly honest I couldn't even picture Grant when they first started talking to him to come over.
    Obviously have paid a bit more attention to him this year and it helps with him being in a more successful team.
    Mind you, I saw hardly any non-Force matches in 08-09.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Grant is as good as Hill at the very least. He's not injury prone and he's still pretty young and fresh. I'd take him in a heartbeat. It's a great option instead of Cooper who looks like he'll stay in Queensland and the sky would fall in if he did come over (according to some anyway).

So we'll need a lock, a backrower, maybe another fly-half or 12 and an outside back for next year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    He's just making sure the Boks don't make any stupid decisions like dropping him and using a development player this year.

He's easily top 2 in SA and could be arguably number one.

Who else is there?

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Im with you GIGS, Ill be very surprised if Grant leaves SA. Especially with Peinaar not being all that. Steyn has the 10 spot for the Boks sewn up, but GHrant would be upset if he didnt get a bench spot.

vCash
    Yeah, all he has to do is get a squad call up if I read his comments correctly, They'll pick at least three in the squad, simply to cover injury concerns, The Lions played much of the year with King Carlos in 10, Sharks had Goode for most of it leaving only Steyn, Grant and Pienaar as starters in that position......It'd be hard to leave any of them out of the squad, if anybody goes it has to be Pienaar

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, all he has to do is get a squad call up if I read his comments correctly, They'll pick at least three in the squad, simply to cover injury concerns, The Lions played much of the year with King Carlos in 10, Sharks had Goode for most of it leaving only Steyn, Grant and Pienaar as starters in that position......It'd be hard to leave any of them out of the squad, if anybody goes it has to be Pienaar
    but thats the thing:
    "Grant was not in the Springboks squad for next month's Test against Wales in Cardiff that was named after Saturday's 25-6 semi-final win by the Stormers against the Waratahs in Cape Town."

thats an ominous outlook for him if im reading it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast