Thread: PERTH BACK ROW A WALLABIES FORCE

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

PERTH BACK ROW A WALLABIES FORCE

The Emirates Western Force back row will feature prominently in the upcoming test arena with Matt Hodgson, David Pocock and Richard Brown all selected in the Wallabies squad announced today.

The trio was a force to be reckoned with in the later part of the Super 14 season following the return of Pocock and Brown from injury, and could carry the responsibility for Australia against the likes of England, New Zealand and South Africa.

The selection of Hodgson is great reward for his stellar 2010 campaign. The versatile forward was a man mountain in the back row and the only player at the club to start and finish every game.

The 28 year old will be hoping luck is on his side this time around after his Wallabies dreams were shattered last year when an injury in the non-capped match against the Barbarians ended his spring tour.

“It’s one of your biggest highs playing for Australia and then getting injured and missing out (on the rest of the tour) was hard, it sort of drove me this year to put my hand up again and make selection and get that test cap that I want,” Hodgson said.

“Robbie (Deans) gave me a call yesterday morning, so it was good to pick up that unknown number. It is good to get that call early.

“He just sort of congratulated me on such a good performance in the Super 14 at the start of the year, and said just to continue working and keep aiming for that jersey that I want to get.”

For Brown and Pocock the recent Super 14 presented challenges in other forms as injuries to both players in round one forced them to watch from the sidelines for half a season. But true to form the pair returned ready for action and made a telling contribution to a positive second half of the year for the Emirates Western Force and are keen to add to their test caps.

“I’m a little relieved to make the squad after only playing half a season so I’m pretty excited,” said Brown.

“I was always hopeful but I was just happy to come back in the second half of the season regardless of whether I made the Wallabies.

“More than anything I’m just relieved to be playing again, the Wallabies was just more of a bonus if I made it.”

Other Emirates Western Force players selected for Wallabies duties include prop Pek Cowan, lock Nathan Sharpe, the most experienced player selected in the 30-man Australian squad, and full-back James O’Connor, the youngest member of the 2010 class.

With 79 tests to his name already Sharpe will provide the leadership and experience to a young squad, something he has done with distinction throughout his career and again this season at the Force.

“Sharpie doesn’t talk a lot about how his performance is but that probably sums the guy up, he’s had probably one of his best seasons in his time in Super Rugby and the way he’s led us through the year has been instrumental for a lot of blokes,” said Hodgson.

“I know it made me keep going at the start of the year when we were up against a brick wall. He’s a good bloke and his form has been great this year.

“He is probably the best Captain I’ve ever had. The way he leads us on the field is the same as off the field. He’s got that good combination with all the blokes from the older guys to the younger guys, everyone respects him.”

Tough forward Ben McCalman has been acknowledged for his excellent debut Super Rugby season with inclusion in the 10-man Australian Barbarians squad that will train alongside the Wallabies and play two midweek matches against England next month. Winger Nick Cummins is also part of that squad and will be hoping to impress after picking-up an injury on the opening day of last year’s Wallabies training camp.

“I’m really happy for Ben to get his chance I think it’s well deserved, especially in his first year, it’s just a huge effort,” Brown said.

“For Nick, people know he’s a talent and he is a colourful character too, so it should be good to have him along. He has done well to come back from his injuries and I think we all know what it takes to come back after a few setbacks.”

The squads will arrive in Perth on Sunday, 6 June ahead of a midweek Australian Barbarians match against England at ME Bank Stadium (Tuesday, 8 June) and then play the opening Cook Cup test match against England at Subiaco Oval on Saturday, 12 June.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Other Emirates Western Force players selected for Wallabies duties include prop Pek Cowan, lock Nathan Sharpe, the most experienced player selected in the 30-man Australian squad, and full-back James O’Connor, the youngest member of the 2010 class.

With 79 tests to his name already Sharpe will provide the leadership and experience to a young squad, something he has done with distinction throughout his career and again this season at the Force.

“Sharpie doesn’t talk a lot about how his performance is but that probably sums the guy up, he’s had probably one of his best seasons in his time in Super Rugby and the way he’s led us through the year has been instrumental for a lot of blokes,” said Hodgson.

“I know it made me keep going at the start of the year when we were up against a brick wall. He’s a good bloke and his form has been great this year.

“He is probably the best Captain I’ve ever had. The way he leads us on the field is the same as off the field. He’s got that good combination with all the blokes from the older guys to the younger guys, everyone respects him.”......

SHARPIE HAS TO BE CAPTAIN....HAS ANYONE SAID OR EVEN THOUGHT ANYTHING LIKE THIS ABOUT ELSOM???? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! OR

vCash
    I'm glad Robbie Deans doesn't watch the Rugby Club, They'd only picked four Forcemen in their team!

C'mon the

vCash
    As far as I'm concerned, Elsom's worth a place in the squad, and possibly the game day 22, but not the starting 15. Sharpie is definately in the starting 15.

However, when you make someone the national captain in rugby or cricket you sort of have to pick them. In these sports captains have more influence than in some other sports.