Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Wallabies Squad Announced

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

2010 Wallabies Squad Announced

Seven uncapped players have been included among a 30-man Qantas Wallabies squad named today for next month’s Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series.

The squad, which will again be led by Brumbies flanker Rocky Elsom, faces Fiji, two Cook Cup Test matches against England, and a one off Test against Ireland for the Lansdowne Cup through June.

A further ten uncapped players have been included as part of the Australian Barbarians team which will play two midweek Tour matches against England next month.

Members of the Qantas Wallabies squad will also be involved in the Barbarians line-up, with the full group of 40 being prepared for their respective engagements by the Qantas Wallabies coaching staff.

The uncapped players named today in the Wallabies are hookers Saia Faingaa and Huia Edmonds, props Ben Daley, Laurie Weeks and Salesi Ma’afu, flanker Matt Hodgson and centre Rob Horne.

Faingaa’s twin-brother Anthony has made it a double celebration for the family after being included among the Barbarians players.

While acknowledging that injury and unavailability had played a part, Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the inclusion of such a significant number of uncapped players among the 40 named highlighted the development that had taken place in Australia through the last 12 months.

This includes both last year’s Spring Tour, where nine uncapped players were involved in the touring party, and also this year’s Investec Bank Super 14.

“There’s no doubt that we’ve widened the base a little bit in terms of playing depth,” Deans says.

“We needed to, and the progress we’ve made has shown through this year during the Super 14.”

The Australian Barbarians’ two Tour matches against England, at Perth on 8 June and Gosford on 15 June, provide an opportunity to expose a wider group of players, outside of Test ranks, to international rugby.

The importance of those matches, Deans says; is underlined by today’s selection of the 30-man Qantas Wallabies squad, which includes three uncapped players with previous touring experience.

Loose forward Matt Hodgson, prop Salesi Ma’afu and centre Rob Horne were all involved on the Wallabies Spring Tour last year, with selection today offering them an opportunity to push on and nail a Test place.

“Those three players have all kicked on in this year’s Super 14, showing a level of consistency in their performance which indicates to us that they have the ability to step up to the next level,” Deans says.

Although today’s selection is notable for the inclusion of a handful of players who are carrying injuries, and will not be immediately available to play, Deans says all eventualities have been catered for in terms of selection.

“We looked at the situation with regards to each of the players who are injured. When they would be able to play again and what contingency options we had, prior to their inclusion, both in the case of the Wallabies squad, but also the Barbarians group,” Deans says.

“In some instances, players have been included for development purposes as much so that they can gain background with us in terms of our methodology and training, as for when they will be back on the field.

“If these players beat their scheduled recovery timelines, and are available to us sooner than is currently expected, that will be a bonus.”

This policy is consistent with practices Deans has employed previously, most notably last year during the Tri Nations with Elsom, although he admits the greater number of injuries currently experienced has exacerbated the requirement of “carrying” players.

“From a selection perspective on a week-to-week basis, it’s certainly not ideal, but if we are going to add to our playing base ahead of next year’s Rugby World Cup, we need to get guys started. This programme, which incorporates the midweek Tour matches played by the Australian Barbarians, was designed to allow us to do that.”

Australia kicks off the Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series against the 2007 Rugby World Cup quarter-finalist Fiji in Canberra on 5 June before playing back-to-back Cook Cup Tests against England in Perth on 12 June, and Sydney on 19 June.

The Lansdowne Cup Test against Ireland follows in Brisbane on 26 June, before a four-week recess ahead of the Bundaberg Rum Tri Nations Series.

England and Ireland have named strong squads to tour Down Under as they rekindle their relationship with the Qantas Wallabies following last year’s tight Test matches on the Spring Tour.

Australia beat England 18-9 in London, but was then denied a shot at a Grand Slam of the United Kingdom and Ireland, as Ireland scored a late try to force a 20-20 draw the following week in Dublin.

“Those games were great spectacles, but exceedingly tight games. We’re not anticipating these matches being any different,” Deans says.

“In the case of England, their manager Martin Johnson knows the value of achieving in Australia. He experienced those benefits himself as a player seven years ago. Make no mistake his team will be well motivated.”

As captain, Johnson led England to back-to-back wins in New Zealand and Australia in June 2003 before returning to Australia later that same year to win the Rugby World Cup.

Deans also expects stern competition from Ireland.

“The result last year will provide Ireland with a great incentive for the Test in Brisbane,” he says.

“They’ve still got the nucleus of the side that won last year’s Six Nations Grand Slam and they’ll be an ideal opponent to conclude our June programme with in preparation for the Tri Nations.”

The Qantas Wallabies Squad for the 2010 Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series is:

Player Position Team Age Caps
    Ben Alexander Prop Brumbies 25 18
    Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing Brumbies 26 37
    Berrick Barnes Inside centre-Flyhalf NSW Waratahs 23 21
    Kurtley Beale Fullback NSW Waratahs 21 1
    Richard Brown No 8/Loose Forward Western Force 25 12
    Luke Burgess Halfback NSW Waratahs 26 21
    Mark Chisholm Lock Brumbies 28 48
    Quade Cooper Flyhalf Queensland Reds 22 11
    Pekahou Cowan Prop Western Force 23 3
    Ben Daley Prop Queensland Reds 21 Uncapped
    Rocky Elsom Flanker Brumbies 27 49
    Huia Edmonds Hooker Brumbies 28 Uncapped
    Saia Faingaa Hooker Queensland Reds 23 Uncapped
    Will Genia Halfback Queensland Reds 22 11
    Matt Giteau Flyhalf Brumbies 27 78
    Stephen Hoiles No 8 Brumbies 28 16
    Matt Hodgson Loose forward Western Force 28 Uncapped
    Rob Horne Centre NSW Waratahs 20 Uncapped
    Peter Hynes Wing Queensland Reds 27 22
    Digby Ioane Centre/Wing Queensland Reds 24 8
    Salesi Ma’afu Prop Brumbies 27 Uncapped
    Drew Mitchell Wing/Fullback NSW Waratahs 26 41
    Dean Mumm Lock/Loose-forward NSW Waratahs 26 19
    James O’Connor Fullback Western Force 19 14
    David Pocock Flanker Western Force 22 15
    Tatafu Polota-Nau Hooker NSW Waratahs 24 23
    Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force 32 79
    Lachie Turner Wing/Fullback NSW Waratahs 23 11
    Josh Valentine Halfback Brumbies 27 6
    Laurie Weeks Prop Queensland Reds 24 Uncapped

Australian Barbarians Squad members:

Will Chambers Centre Queensland Reds 22 Uncapped
    Mitchell Chapman Loose Forward/Lock Brumbies 27 Uncapped
    Nick Cummins Wing Western Force 22 Uncapped
    Kane Douglas Lock NSW Waratahs 20 Uncapped
    Anthony Faingaa Inside Centre Queensland Reds 23 Uncapped
    Damien Fitzpatrick Hooker NSW Waratahs 20 Uncapped
    Ben McCalman Lock/Loose Forward Western Force 22 Uncapped
    Pat McCutcheon Loose Forward NSW Waratahs 22 Uncapped
    Rob Simmons Lock Queensland Reds 21 Uncapped
    James Slipper Prop Queensland Reds 20 Uncapped

Squad Notes:

• Of the 40 players named today, just 11 boasted Test experience with the Qantas Wallabies prior to the start of 2008, when Robbie Deans took over as national coach.
    • Four of those – Berrick Barnes, Digby Ioane, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Josh Valentine – had played four Tests or less.
    • The average age of the 30-man Qantas Wallabies squad is 24 years and eight months.
    • When the statistics of the ten uncapped Barbarians players are factored in, the mean age within the group drops to 24.

2010 Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series (includes Tri Nations)

DATE MATCH TROPHY VENUE KICK OFF
    Sat 5 June Qantas Wallabies v Fiji Canberra Stadium 7.35pm
    Sat 12 June Qantas Wallabies v England Cook Cup Subiaco Oval, Perth 6.05pm
    Sat 19 June Qantas Wallabies v England Cook Cup ANZ Stadium, Sydney 8.05pm
    Sat 26 June Qantas Wallabies v Ireland Lansdowne Cup Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 8.05pm
    Sat 24 July Qantas Wallabies v Springboks Tri Nations & MP Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 8.05pm
    Sat 31 July Qantas Wallabies v All Blacks Tri Nations & BC Etihad Stadium, Melbourne 8.05pm
    Sat 7 Aug All Blacks v Qantas Wallabies Tri Nations & BC AMI Stadium, Christchurch 7.35pm
    Sat 28 Aug Springboks v Qantas Wallabies Tri Nations & MP Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria 5pm
    Sat 4 Sep Springboks v Qantas Wallabies Tri Nations & MP Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein 5pm
    Sat 11 Sept Qantas Wallabies v All Blacks Tri Nations & BC ANZ Stadium, Sydney 8.05pm

* all kick offs are in local times (NZ – 2 hours, AEST, SA +8 hours, AEST)

Australian Barbarians versus England

Tue 8 June Australian Barbarians v England Perth 7.05pm
    Tue 15 June Australian Barbarians v England Gosford 7.35pm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    no Cross,no suprise really

vCash
    no phil waugh

but im extremely pleased to see Hodgo there. i hope he does get that wallabies jersey in a proper game

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Areas of concern having a look at that team Outside Centre, Lock, Halfback and Number 8.

Like last year on the spring tour some of those Barbarians can seriously push for the main squad during the mid week games, especially considering if a 13 or a lock gets injured.

Ha the funniest thing is in times gone by we didn’t have two props to rub together now look at the squad!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Would've liked to have seen Burgess being left out - I think he's clearly displayed numberous times this year and last that he's not up to internaltional level, and barely even S14.

Interesting that higginbotham didn't make the cut either, after most people (eastern staters at least) have been almost pencilling him in the starting 15.

I would've thought that Tim Fairbrother deserved a spot in the barbarians ahead of James slipper, who only played a handful of minutes for the reds this year.

I also would've liked to see Shep squeezed in somewhere, but it was probably asking for too much given his injury problems and general form this season.

Other than that, looks like a pretty solid squad. The loss of Benn Robinson is going to hurt quite a bit though I think.

vCash
    let's just hope that Genia isnt injured for too long...

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Well done Ben and Nick

Matt Hodgson if he wasn't there I'd be presenting Robbie with a white stick - richly deserved.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    my pick for the Trinations:

1)Salesi Ma'afu
    2)Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3)Ben Alexander
    4)Nathan Sharpe
    5)Mark Chisholm
    6)Matt Hodgson
    7)David Pocock
    8)Rocky Elsom (capt)
    9)Will Genia
    10)Quade Cooper
    11)Drew Mitchell
    12)Matt Giteau
    13)Rob Horne
    14)Digby Ioane
    15)Adam Ashley-Cooper

16)Pek Cowan
    17)Richard Brown
    18)Stephen Hoiles
    19)Josh Valentine
    20)Berrick Barnes
    21)Peter Hynes
    22)James O'Connor

vCash
    Where the HELL is Brett Sheehan. I'm so angry. Second only to Genia, the bloke had the season of his life and that's just crap that he wasn't selected. Flipping Hell. Sheehan outclass Valentine, and Burgess no questions. Poor bloke.

Other than that. Nice the see McCalmum make an appearance. I'd have like Cummins in the main squad, myself.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I think I would probably go for something like this:

1)Ben Alexander
    2)Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3)Ben Daley
    4)Dean Mumm
    5)Nathan Sharpe
    6)Matt Hodgson
    7)David Pocock
    8)Rocky Elsom (capt)
    9)Will Genia
    10)Quade Cooper
    11)Drew Mitchell
    12)Matt Giteau
    13)Adam Ashley-Cooper
    14)Digby Ioane
    15)Peter Hynes

16)Pek Cowan
    17)Mark Chisolm
    18)Richard Brown
    19)Josh Valentine
    20)Berrick Barnes
    21)Lachie Turner
    22)James O'Connor

Would like to put JOC into 15, but I think with Cooper & Gits as the centres, a more solid 15 is probably required.

Definitely agree sheehan deserved to be there ahead of burgess, or even turner perhaps if we're looking to the future.

vCash
    I like your lineup Chiraag, I opted for AAC as Full Back simply because i like Horne at 13 but that was my next best back line.

I'm not convinced about Daley though..call it a bad feeling.

vCash
    Wonder if Cross will be looking to head back to mungoland..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    I like your lineup Chiraag, I opted for AAC as Full Back simply because i like Horne at 13 but that was my next best back line.

I'm not convinced about Daley though..call it a bad feeling.
    Actually Daley played out of his skin this year - he richly deserves selection.

I think he will be a permanent Wallaby in the next few years.

Overall a pretty decent squad.

Some good tests to be enjoyed over the next few months.

vCash
    a number of players very very lucky to be in that squad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Wonder if Cross will be looking to head back to mungoland..
    Maybe in Pommy-land. When his contract is up and there's no ARU top-up forthcoming. Otherwise, a superannuation contract in France or Nippon willbe on the cards.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast