Thread: Season 2010 is over

vCash

Season 2010 is over

Season 2010 is over for the Western Force.

There were some special moments and others not so.

I'm feeling a range of emotions, the most positive probably being relief.

I feel there needs to be some debriefing.
    Does anyone want to start?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    even with the start from hell im still bloody proud to be part of the sea of blue and only good can come out of this year and hopefully we have a clean start for next year. carn force

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Senior Player
    vCash
    Some great signs including some definite future Wallabies coming through in the form of younger players taking their chances (JT, Whittaker, Charles, Inman, McClaman).

Wins against the Stormers and Crusaders show we can mix it with the best. Keeping up the intensity in a consistent way game to game is still an issue.

If we had won those close ones against the Bulls and the Waratahs, the season could have taken on a very different shape. How the Reds and Brumbies struggled when they had their injuries illustrates the need for depth.

We still need a 10, we don't need a hooker anymore, we could do with another centre and outside back. The Harris experiment didn't really work other than as an impact player coming on late in the game. We really need players who can step into the breach when injuries strike and perform for the whole game at this level.

The rectangular stadium is great, and we are probably harder to beat at home than in previous seasons. But a custom built 30,000 seat rectangular stadium would be more appropriate.

We need to sort out the coach thing as I'm not sure Mitchell will be here next season.

Some great cameos (thanks, Hilly, Spanner!) and Sharpie, Hodgo, Bam Bam and JOC awesome.

A rebuilding season? Bring on 2011!!

vCash
    Strange feeling to see the team sitting at 12th spot and possibly even dropping down to 13th after tonight but still feel like the boys did us proud...

Some serious promoting of our brand of rugby is needed by the recruiters for season 2011 because if we start another season like we did this one there will be empty seats at MES.

Stand outs for me this year

Hodgo! you absolute Beauty
    Sharpie - A real Warhorse that still has it
    Hill - So Long fella and thanks for the great moments! We wont forget THAT drop goal!

McCalman, Charles, Inman and Turner - Some real eye catching performances in your first year with us.. Awesome job!! im sure we'll be seeing much more of all of you soon (hopefully in green & gold too! )

As for the Rest youve all shown heart and courage in the face of Adversity and Im sure youve grown as players because of it!! BRING on 2011!!!

PS I almost forgot my Hero Spannah!!! Well done and thanks for answering the call... hopefully we'll see you again next year!

vCash
    the negatives ive got have been listed many times through the season so we'll leave them there... on the positive side, hodgo the most consistant and should easily pick up his second rolex at the EWF awards evening, bam, sheehan, sharpie and brownie also deserve a bit of recognition, on the youth side things do look bright for the future if we can hold on to them, nathan charles looks the goods for a long term hooker, i just hope pek isn't left out of the wallabies squad due to his duel hooker/prop role... there still seems to be a few fringe players that are not up to S14 standard, but hopefully the depth will come to our squad over time, to the players that are leaving all the best for the future....and a special mention of that group of players has to go to local lad, ryan tyrrell....
    the number 10 issue for next season still has to be sorted out for next year, quade cooper would be great but i cant see it happening, if JM leaves before the start of next season, i wish him all the best where ever he ends up....

2011, onwards and upwards.....

vCash
    Immensely proud of the boys, Yeah we need a 10, but surely Stef will either get some game time next year or be replaced, so there's a plan for the future.

I wonder about our mental strength, when Gits, Valo and Mitchell left at the end of last year, I seriously thought they'd take that with them, and the first half of our season bore that out, with a severely depleted side always making a good account, but towards the end, when we had our talent back, we still showed a fragility.

Maybe a change of coach will fix that.....it worked for Queensland

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Some awesome wins. My favourite is the win over Crusaders (since we have now beaten everyone).

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    im still not over the atmosphere of the game when Hilly hit that kick over through the goals for our win over the Stormers. best feeling ever.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    best moment for me was watching sheehan kick, chase, launch himself at the other player and then revocer the ball, all within 2 feet of the touchline.
    i cant remember who it was against, but it was my favourite play of the season.
    mainly because i could SEE it all happening, it all happened less than 30m from me.

was an amazing bit of play by an individual as well

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think many went into 2010 with unrealistic expectations of the potential we had.
    The type of chat was based on an expectation of a 100%, everything going for us season.
    Sadly that was shaky before the season had even started (Andre & Shep) and blown out of the water by the Bye.
    I was optimistic enough to tip a sixth place, or there abouts, for our best ever placing, while always with an eye on the cream rising to the top for 2011.

You could argue that the results of this season have increased the potential of next season through the extra unexpected exposure to our junior ranks. Every player on the list at the start of the season, except Flip Manu who has apparently bat ‘n’ balled it back to Queensland, had match time with (including the unfortunate cameo from Jono Jenkins) 18 Force Debuts and 11 Super Rugby Debuts during the season.

There are negatives for sure, but well covered throughout the season. My main two concerns are an apparent inability to stay focused for 80 minutes against bottom half sides and also the renewed search for a Flyhalf for 2011. If Pretorius is deemed fit then I would be happy enough to see him continue however, we still need a second old head in the Backs engine room and Bart didn’t seem to fit there this season to take that role. With the recent SANZAR/IRB announcement, I would be looking pretty thoroughly through the Argentine stocks for opportunities, though that may mean cutting Andre loose.

The pick of the players for me this season has been Nathan Sharpe, I think he has been far and away the most consistent performer all year and definitely in line to feature in the Australian S14 player of the year calculations. Also, highly commendable performances by (probably in order) Hodgson, Pocock, Sheehan, O’Connor, my Rookie of the Year McCalman and runner up Inman.

Our Props had a successful year without starring. Despite the sad loss of Tyrrell, it would appear that our pre season Hooker issues have been well and truly resolved with two great options going into the future.

The Locks stocks have been strong, and now enhanced with the versatility of McCalman.
    The Backrow is as good as any in the Southern Hemisphere and is being fully retained.

There has been encouraging signs at a traditional rocky position in Scrumhalf with a great season by Sheehan and, despite the loss of journeyman O’Young we have two excellent options in Turner and Swanepoel.

As above, there have been considerable issues at Flyhalf that by season’s end were resolved however, the problem now starts renewed.

With some glimpses of his old self in the last couple of rounds by Cross, our Centres have been sound during the second half of the season, with Inman worthy of building a future backline around.

Our Wings have been hot and cold all season, though not always seeing as much ball as they may have liked. There are good players available but those players need to impose themselves more.

Fullback has also been a little touchy at times, though our best option has been in the Physios or staying safe (ie available) on the Wing. O’Connor had moments of brilliance, Bartholomeusz was safe more often than not, but 2011 needs to see Shepherd return to the #15 jersey.

2011 has potential written all over it and, (riskily for the Force) assuming a smooth off-season, we should be looking a far better season and genuine Finals aspirations.

1 Cowan
    2 Whittaker
    3 Fairbrother
    4 Hockings
    5 Sharpe
    6 Hodgson
    7 Pocock
    8 Brown

9 Sheehan
    10 Pretorius or Marque
    11 Staniforth
    12 O'Connor
    13 Inman
    14 Cummins
    15 Shepherd

16 Charles
    17 Henderson
    18 Wykes
    19 McCalman
    20 Turner
    21 Bartholomeusz
    22 Cross

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think you have all covered the best of 2010 season in the posts above, but the one that seems to have gone missing is the move to ME bank, it was great being so close to the action seeing close up the effort the boys put in, letting them know we were behind them and they could actually hear us, and being so close to the players when Hill launched that drop kick.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”