Thread: World Cup bid to build stadium

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

World Cup bid to build stadium

Soccer could deliver a world-class sports stadium for Perth after Australia's bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup included a pledge to build a new 60,000-seat venue in Subiaco.

Details and an artist's impression of the state-of-the-art stadium will be unveiled today as part of the Football Federation Australia's final submission to the sport's world governing body FIFA.

In the 750-page document, the FFA said "all levels of Australian government" have backed the bid, which would include spending $2.8 billion on three new stadiums and upgrading nine existing ones.

"New stadiums will be built in Perth, Canberra and Blacktown in western Sydney underpinning a national infrastructure legacy for Australian sport prior to and following a FIFA World Cup," the FFA said.

"The new stadiums include a 60,000-seat stadium on the Subiaco precinct."

The future of Subiaco Oval and the debate over Perth's next major stadium development have gone round in circles for the past five years after an official task force recommended that Kitchener Park, next to the current WA home of AFL, be used to build a new $700 million facility.

But Premier Colin Barnett dumped the plan soon after being elected in 2008, arguing the State could not afford it. He proposed a revamp of the existing stadium.

He indicated last week that any major development now rested on Australia winning one of the World Cup bids.

"If we do get it, that will trigger a $250 million injection towards the stadium here," Mr Barnett said. "That will change the maths of the exercise and I'll take that into account."

The winning bids for 2018 and 2022 will be announced by FIFA in Zurich on December 2.

A 60,000-seat stadium in Subiaco would mean WA could host quarter-final and semi-final matches as well as group-stage games of the month-long tournament.

Perth would be one of 10 host cities, which also include Geelong and Townsville.

"This nationwide hosting proposal means millions of sports fans across the country will be able to enjoy the biggest and most exciting sporting event in the world in wonderful new or upgraded stadiums in their own cities," FFA chairman Frank Lowy said.
    The artist's impression indicates the stadium would include retractable seating to bring fans closer to the rectangle-shaped soccer pitch. The image appears to show the stadium straddling the existing Subiaco Oval site and Kitchener Park.

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Hmmm. A 60,000 seat oval-shaped stadium with retractable seating and coloured external "walls" in Subiaco. Seems familiar somehow....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    the guy that does the artits impressions of various proposed stadia around perth must make a fortune,.....shame the never seem to get built...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Indeed. as i tried to post in the item..

"Hmmm. A 60,000 seat oval-shaped stadium with retractable seating and coloured external "walls" in Subiaco. Seems familiar somehow...."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    the guy that does the artits impressions of various proposed stadia around perth must make a fortune,.....shame the never seem to get built...
    Does Langoulant get paid every time that picture of the MPS is used?

That's gotta be the cushiest gig ever!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think they have just used the old image for the story as isn't it saying the plans are to be "unveiled today"?
    It is a bit hideous, but as with most things new that I am usually totally against, it would probably grow on me.
    Isn't there some requirement of having a warm up ground within throwing distance for FIFA, or is that Olympics?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think that's for every sport.....can't they come on prior to the game as they do now???

vCash
    Ok so since this stupid WA government (labor and liberal - all the bloody same here) are intent on creating a new stadium that would be multipurpose at Subiaco the first thing they need to do is control it's operations! The idiots, can't remeber who they are but they don't care much about any other sport but one, always seem to put their own interests first instead of the states sporting codes.

Getting rid of them would be a huge step, and I might even change my mind about this whole multipurpose stadium debarcle if operations of the stadium was not aussie rules centric!

To add to this, the WA state government obviously doesn't understand that we will soon have 3 rectangualr codes playing major competitions in Perth! If at least two of these teams, I would assume Rugby and League were to move to the multipurpose stadium to get larger crowds than at ME, there would be some major problem with this whole multipurpose stadium.

Firstly the League season clashes the most with the AFL. There is no way in hell that the AFL would let a League game get played a couple days before a aussie rules game because the turf would get ripped up! Who would control this juggling act? Additionally when the Super 15 begins that means Rugby would clash with the AFL even more as well!!! It just seems like an utter nightmare to even think about running a multipurpose stadium!!

The proposal to upgrade ME would a much better idea. The stadia in South Africa would show how to build what we need, with grandstands that are almost vertical (well not really but it damn feels like it). that way you pack lots of fans into a small area. Also look at Queensland with Lang Park (Suncorp), they upgraded that and it is bloody awsome, world class!!

Finally I would like to propose that the WACA gets upgraded. Demolish Subiaco ovala, upgrade the WACA and play cricket and aussie rules there! Have ME upgraded and everyone will be happy!!

We can't play rectangular sport on an oval ground, even if the stands move in!!! It just wouldn't work!!!!!!!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Champion
    vCash
    why not just tax rugby players we will get a stadium for sure..... WA pollys will never get their acty together ... hand it over to private entreprise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    Ok so since this stupid WA government (labor and liberal - all the bloody same here) are intent on creating a new stadium that would be multipurpose at Subiaco the first thing they need to do is control it's operations! The idiots, can't remeber who they are but they don't care much about any other sport but one, always seem to put their own interests first instead of the states sporting codes.

Getting rid of them would be a huge step, and I might even change my mind about this whole multipurpose stadium debarcle if operations of the stadium was not aussie rules centric!

To add to this, the WA state government obviously doesn't understand that we will soon have 3 rectangualr codes playing major competitions in Perth! If at least two of these teams, I would assume Rugby and League were to move to the multipurpose stadium to get larger crowds than at ME, there would be some major problem with this whole multipurpose stadium.

Firstly the League season clashes the most with the AFL. There is no way in hell that the AFL would let a League game get played a couple days before a aussie rules game because the turf would get ripped up! Who would control this juggling act? Additionally when the Super 15 begins that means Rugby would clash with the AFL even more as well!!! It just seems like an utter nightmare to even think about running a multipurpose stadium!!

The proposal to upgrade ME would a much better idea. The stadia in South Africa would show how to build what we need, with grandstands that are almost vertical (well not really but it damn feels like it). that way you pack lots of fans into a small area. Also look at Queensland with Lang Park (Suncorp), they upgraded that and it is bloody awsome, world class!!

Finally I would like to propose that the WACA gets upgraded. Demolish Subiaco ovala, upgrade the WACA and play cricket and aussie rules there! Have ME upgraded and everyone will be happy!!

We can't play rectangular sport on an oval ground, even if the stands move in!!! It just wouldn't work!!!!!!!!
    My argument precisely

nothing to add, just agreement

C'mon the

vCash
    I need to get my eyes tested. I tried to read the article, but all I could see was "Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah."

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I think they just re-coloured the Beijing birds nest stadium for that image? Either that or they photoshopped a vulva on to Subiaco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I think they just re-coloured the Beijing birds nest stadium for that image? Either that or they photoshopped a vulva on to Subiaco.
    ouch!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!