Thread: Force Go Down in Season Finale

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Go Down in Season Finale

The Emirates Western Force took it right up to the Sharks and scored an incredible try at Kings Park in Durban, but fell short losing 27-22 to finish its 2010 Investec Bank Super 14 campaign.

The Force finish the season with 19 points and four wins and will end up in 12th position after an encouraging second half of the season.

Following the loss of a host of star players to injury, the Force lost the first six games of the 2010 season, but since recorded impressive wins over the Stormers, Highlanders, Crusaders and Lions, and showed plenty of good signs looking towards 2011 and beyond.

The game with the Sharks saw the Emirates Western Force dominate possession in the first half, but the Sharks managed two tries still on limited opportunities.

Brett Sheehan and James O'Connor had their kicking boots on to have the Force trail by just two points at half-time, before the Sharks added a third try to start the second half.

The Force then turned on some magic to score one of the tries of the season but couldn’t quite do enough to overcome the Sharks.

Captain Nathan Sharpe wasn’t at all happy with the end to the season as it was a game that he felt the Force could have won.

"It's disappointing. Both teams came out with the same mindset of playing and again we just made too many mistakes," Sharpe said.

"Both teams probably came home stronger than they started, but you'd like to be contesting finals at this time of year. We are disappointed with that performance and although the Sharks played well, we could have taken it."

The Emirates Western Force dominated possession in the opening minutes, but the Sharks took full advantage of their first foray into their attacking end by scoring a converted try through Lwazi Mvovo.

The Force quickly regained control of possession, though, and earned four penalties in the space of 13 minutes and kicked them all to take a 12-7 lead over the Sharks.

Sheehan took the first two as they were from long range and despite coming into the match having nailed just 1-of-7 penalty goal attempts for the season, his kicking boots were right on song in Durban.

The first was from 42 metres out from wide, and then a second from just outside 50 metres from in front. That gave the Force confident to keep attacking and they did so to earn two more penalties.

Both were much closer and James O'Connor booted both, but then the Sharks got hold of the ball again and took advantage with Ryan Kankowski running over for a try. Pienaar again converted to put the Sharks up 17-12, but O'Connor converted another penalty just on half-time.

After the break, the Sharks scored a third try through flanker Jacques Botes from a rolling maul and when Pienaar converted the home side led 24-15.

The Force's outstanding try then all began when O'Connor started the play from inside his own try line. He ran the ball up and passed off to Mitch Inman who made a great run.

He dished back to O'Connor and then Justin Turner consolidated the ball at the breakdown, and Tim Fairbrother and Ryan Cross combined to get the ball out to Nick Cummins who crossed for the memorable five-pointer.

O'Connor converted and the Force trailed by just two with 17 minutes to go.

The Sharks extended its lead to five through the boot of Pienaar and then a scrum penalty against the Force ended the match and the WA-side's season.

BY THE CLOCK

8th min – Try to the Sharks by Lwazi Mvovo. Conversion by Ruan Pienaar.
    19th min - Penalty kicked for the Emirates Western Force by Brett Sheehan.
    26th min - Penalty converted for the Emirates Western Force by Brett Sheehan.
    30th min - Penalty kicked for the Emirates Western Force by James O'Connor.
    32nd min - Penalty converted for the Emirates Western Force by James O'Connor.
    34th min - Try for the Sharks to Ryan Kankowski. Converted by Ruan Pienaar.
    39th min - Penalty goal for the Sharks to Ruan Pienaar.
    41st min - Penalty converted for the Emirates Western Force by James O'Connor.

HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 15 Sharks 17

48th min – Try for the Sharks to Jacques Botes. Converted by Ruan Pienaar.
    51st min - Matt Dunning replaces Tim Fairbrother and Sam Wykes replaces Ben McCalman for the Emirates Western Force.
    56th min - Nathan Charles replaces Ben Whittaker and Justin Turner replaces Brett Sheehan for the Emirates Western Force.
    61st min - Try to the Emirates Western Force by Nick Cummins. Converted by James O'Connor.
    66th min - Penalty goal for the Sharks to Ruan Pienaar.
    77th min - Sam Harris replaces Mitch Inman for the Emirates Western Force.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 22 Sharks 27

Emirates Western Force 22 (Cummins try; O'Connor 1/1 con; Sheehan 2/2, O'Connor 3/3 pen)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Did anybody else theing the Ref was exceedingly generous to have left all 15 Sharks on the park after the first 20 minutes? There must have been about 9 penalties on the line in the first 8 minutes, and five kicked by 20 minutes.....surely at that point a card would have been in order.

Also, the scrums in the dying minutes, He resets one on the Sharks feed about nine times until they put together the scrappiest shit piece of scrummaging I've ever seen, then penalises us for collapsing after the siren 5m from their line when scoring a try would have won us the game.......seriously? Are we ANY chance of collapsing the scrum there when we've been totally dominant in the last 3?

C'mon the

vCash

Thumbs up

I am VERY sad to say I missed the last game of our season.....I sincerely hope to get the TV working in my hotel in Darwin for the replay....So gutted to see we lost our last game..I can't imagine how Sharpie is feeling!!!

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I am VERY sad to say I missed the last game of our season.....I sincerely hope to get the TV working in my hotel in Darwin for the replay....So gutted to see we lost our last game..I can't imagine how Sharpie is feeling!!!
    No votes for Player of the Match for this game Coach?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    gimme time ...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Did anybody else theing the Ref was exceedingly generous to have left all 15 Sharks on the park after the first 20 minutes? There must have been about 9 penalties on the line in the first 8 minutes, and five kicked by 20 minutes.....surely at that point a card would have been in order.

Also, the scrums in the dying minutes, He resets one on the Sharks feed about nine times until they put together the scrappiest shit piece of scrummaging I've ever seen, then penalises us for collapsing after the siren 5m from their line when scoring a try would have won us the game.......seriously? Are we ANY chance of collapsing the scrum there when we've been totally dominant in the last 3?
    Well Gigs, as I think it is the first time all season Sharpey has looked like wanting to tear off the Refs head and stuff it up the Refs arse, I suspect that our Captain may have been thinking on the same wavelength...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Although we lost looking forward to reply.....PLEEEEEEASE get my TV working or me to another bloody room!!!!

vCash
    That was the Try of the round.. and certainly of our season.. Superb counter attacking play..
    Good work by OConnor for sparking it, great teamwork and inside passing and
    anyone think Crossy has had that carrot up his arse removed.. He had an absolute blinder for a change!

Veteran
    vCash
    any one have video of it?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Agree with you there, Zim - Cross was terrific! Why did he leave it until the last game?
    A much better showing than last week. And if Sharpie's looks could kill, he'd be in a lot of trouble!
    Very disappointed that we didn't get the win I thought we had it at one point there.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill