Thread: Hodgson hungry for a Wallabies jersey

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hodgson hungry for a Wallabies jersey

Hodgson hungry for a Wallabies jersey

JUSTIN CHADWICK

April 9, 2010 - 1:54PM
    AAP
    Western Force flanker Matt Hodgson hopes his standout Super 14 campaign will finally earn him the Wallabies Test cap he so desperately craves.
    Hodgson's first stint with the Wallabies ended in misery last June when he injured his shoulder in a non-Test outing against the Barbarians.
    The 28-year-old has been a shining light in an otherwise dismal season for the Force, excelling in the No.6 and No.7 jerseys after David Pocock and Richard Brown were cut down by injury in round one.
    The trio will be reunited in the starting line-up for Saturday's clash with the Highlanders in Queenstown and Hodgson has targeted a strong finish to the season in order to stay in Wallabies contention for the upcoming international campaign.
    "It's a motivation getting so close and playing that Barbarians game and then getting the injury and missing out," Hodgson said.
    "Getting on the spring tour but to not get that cap is definitely one of the motivations this year and I'm putting a lot of effort into it.
    "I haven't talked to Robbie (Deans) this year, just been concentrating on the Super 14 and the performance of the Force.
    "Hopefully that (Wallabies Test cap) comes after the season."
    The Force, who have been bolstered by the return of winger Cameron Shepherd, have beaten the Highlanders in their past two meetings but Hodgson said the New Zealander outfit would be tough to beat on their home turf.
    "They're similar to us, they've been close in a lot of their battles and fallen away in the back end of games and only just lost," he said.
    "Like most New Zealand sides they're tough and physical and hard at the breakdown."
    Coach John Mitchell hoped last week's after-the-siren win over the Stormers could start a run of victories for the Force.
    "The great confidence that the players can take is that they nailed the game right at the end ... it gives you enormous belief and it's a great deposit finishing a game like that with a play like they did," Mitchell said.
    "A win gives you confidence but it doesn't allow you to get away from the detail or allow you to get complacent or accept just that one game is enough.
    "It has always been a difficult proposition down in the South Island and you've got to have a mindset that is prepared for a very physical onslaught.
    "They (the Highlanders) will never go away so you've really got to earn your wins down there."
    Force: James O'Connor, Cameron Shepherd, Mitch Inman, Ryan Cross, Mark Bartholomeusz, David Hill, Chris O'Young, Richard Brown, David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Tom Hockings, Tim Fairbrother, Ben Whittaker, Pek Cowan. Res: Nathan Charles, Matt Dunning, Ben McCalman, Sam Wykes, Justin Turner, Sam Harris, Dane Haylett-Petty.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0409-rx6v.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hodgo should be served a Wallabies jersey on a plate! He has really lifted and given his all (and some more) when he was really needed under enormous pressure and responsibility.
    Wallabies Vice Captain (to BamBam).

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    A walk up start. Dingo is a fan also. Cant wait for a Force loose trio fronting up for the

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    It'll take a couple of games for Cliffy to go missing, We'll be playing minnows at the beginnig, I also don't think the captain will start off the bench.

Hodgeo, Bam and Browny are probably all playing for a starting 7 and a bench slot.....There might be a second bench slot if Mumm plays lock and Elsom is willing to go down a number in cover. I do suspect though that they'll cover Lock for Lock on the bench and put another openside as well.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Brownie just got closer to the #8 jersey.

Cliffy down!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I think Brownie just got closer to the #8 jersey.

Cliffy down!
    Yeah but it would be better for the selectors to actually realise that Cliffy is only a wrecking ball against marshmallow teams, once he is getting some pressure, he turns to water.

Brownie on the other hand, is less impressive a specimen, but plays exactly the same regardless of who he's up against....I know which I prefer.

Speaking about Wallaby Jerseys, who here reckons Giteau or Barnes deserve a start this year? ....... ooooh and who will play 13 now that Mortlock is out of the picture? we could concievably have a very young backline! I would expect 12 to be decided by the depth at 15 actually, Rabbit has shown himself to be at least the equal of any attacking option in OZ and I reckon we could see
    9 Genia
    10 Cooper
    11 Drew
    12 Rabbit
    13 Digby
    14 Hynes
    15 Shep

with some utility on the bench, Maybe Gits and AAC

C'mon the