Thread: FOCUS ON THE FORCE

vCash

FOCUS ON THE FORCE

Emirates Western Force skipper Nathan Sharpe said Friday night’s match at Absa Stadium in Durban will be more about themselves than what the Sharks will throw at them.

While an in-form Sharks side and the challenge of winning at the only South African venue where they’ve yet to taste success confronts the Force, they’re confident of achieving a positive result to finish the 2010 season.

“They’re very strong up front, it is going to be a physical night, they’re a big forward pack and that’s the way they’ll play it,” Sharpe said.

“They also have the knowledge and smarts to play wide if they have to as well so we’re going to have to be right on our game.

“The Sharks knocked off the Stormers last week and are going to be riding high but at the same time we are coming into this game with plenty to prove to ourselves.”

Sharpe believes there have been significant positives this season despite the results not always going the club’s way and points to emerging talent and their exposure to Super Rugby as key elements in the club’s successful future plans.

“Rugby for us is about performing well as a team, of course we’d love to be challenging for finals but there are still good things that have come out of a tough campaign. We want to capitalise on the way we’ve gone forward this year with the guys that have had their first bit of experience at Super 14 level.

“Take Ben McCalman for example, he has been going really well for us in his first season and is someone I think has a huge future in Australian rugby, as do a lot of other young guys in our team.

“If you look at the last six games, four of them we played very well in. The two games during that stretch where we didn’t front up like we hoped is where we need to improve and we’re working through that.”

Eliminating the basic skill errors which cost the West Aussies the game against the Cheetahs last weekend has been a focus and preparations on the African east coast has been spot on.

“Everyone is very keen to make amends for last week,” said Sharpe.

“It is exciting to play against a very strong Sharks side who are finishing well, and to get a result on Friday night would certainly be terrific.

“This week we looked at parts of our game that weren’t up to scratch against the Cheetahs but also parts of our game we think can help us against the Sharks.

“Only our best will get the job done and that’s what we’re determined to deliver.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyWA View Post
    “Take Ben McCalman for example, he has been going really well for us in his first season and is someone I think has a huge future in Australian rugby, as do a lot of other young guys in our team."

Some people will disagree with me here but I have to say something that has been plaguing me for a little while so here goes. Does anyone else think that our other two Locks have been underperforming of late? Both Wykes and Hockings were spruiked to be up and comers but have done little with the opportunities presented this season. This is a damn shame because Lock is where Australia really doesn’t have the depth that we should, and these two could have forced there way into the Wallabies on the back of good performances. Last year they were talked up to go on the spring tour but they both suffered or were carrying injuries at the time.

Now with McCalman playing really well and forcing the coaching staff to place him in the staring team but out of position (my opinion he is a 6 or 8) you have to wonder if the other two are hungry enough or heaven forbid good enough? McCalman has made the most of his opportunities this season and should be an in the Wallabies training squad then he will definitely appear in the Australian Barbarians team. In the coming year he could force his way into the World Cup team as a utility forward if he continues to perform and improve at the current rate next year, but where will the other two be?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I can see where you are coming from Grope, for mine I think it is a combination of McCalman forcing himself on selectors on performance and Tom and Sam not adapting to the up tempo style that has evolved during the year. Certainly Tom is more of a traditional Lock, but with Sharpey almost always playing 80 then it is the #4 that needs to be able to adapt to each new selection &/or style.
    Sam is more mobile and possibly could feel a little more hard done by, but I think it is a brave and correct strategy by Mitch to continue with a performing McCalman.
    So, I'm not sure so much that the other two aren't performing to previous levels, perhaps more that McCalman has made himself almost undropable.
    So long as we can retain them both (especially Tom) I am sure they will be playing many more matches for the Force over coming years, especially post Sharpey in 2012 onwards.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    I agree S/G Wilkes and Hosking has no agro to be a tight forward. Ben McC is old school tight forward tough hit hard and looks mean....!! He will be a in the extended wallaby squad this seaosn I feel.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    I agree S/G Wilkes and Hosking has no agro to be a tight forward. Ben McC is old school tight forward tough hit hard and looks mean....!! He will be a in the extended wallaby squad this seaosn I feel.
    Jeez BD, you're getting worse, Wykes and Hockings

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    When Brown and Pocock were out with injuries we had Hocking in at lock and a back-row of McCalman, Hodgo and Wykes. Wykes looked easily capable of filling in for Brown at 8 and was close to man of the match (for the Tahs match, I think). I was a little surprised at how quickly he's dropped down the pecking order. Is he carrying an injury?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I worry about Wykes' hands, as I do get the impression that he drops a bit of ball. I think the call on Hockings is a bit harsh though - he is more an old style lock doing the hard stuff, rather than the one seen carrying the ball up. I would have liked to see at least one of them starting to call line-outs though, as Sharpie won't be here forever. Probably Hockings, as the definitive lock rather than the lock/backrower that seems to be how Wykes is viewed.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Both Hockings and Wykes are young and have lots of improvement in them. Hockings is a different style of lock compared to McClaman, more of the old style - secure in set play and a straight ball carrier. McCalman has a lot more mobility in attack and in defence. Wykesy, I agree, needs to improve his ball security when taking the pill up, but was playing really well before he got injured. When he gets going, he is great to watch. Will need to bulk up a but more - muscle rather than just weight.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "muscle rather than just weight"

The only other alternatives really are fat and retained fluids

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "muscle rather than just weight"

The only other alternatives really are fat and retained fluids