Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takiari ostracised after signing for Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Takiari ostracised after signing for Force

Burgs: Big news from Rugby Heaven, firstly in the signing of 27 year old Waratah Reserve Prop, Troy Takiari and, secondly in the way he has been treated by the NSWRU.
    At 192cm and 120kg Takiari is bound to make a big impact at the Force however, his signing may well signal the end of either David Fitter or AJ Whalley's time in the West as they with Pek Cowan are all up for contract negotiations.

Takiari's Profile (while it lasts!) http://www.nswrugby.com.au/HSBCWarat...oyTakiari.aspx

Takiari ostracised after signing for Force

THE Waratahs' Super 14 campaign is far from over but one member of the team has already been giving his marching orders, with reserve prop Troy Takiari stunned this week to be told to "clean out his locker" at NSWRU headquarters.

The robust Northern Suburbs tighthead has played two games off the bench for NSW this year, against the Bulls and the Sharks, and acquitted himself well as a fringe player in his Super 12/14 debut season.

But after recently signing a two-year contract with the Force, Takiari was told his services would no longer be required this season and not to come to NSW academy training.

"I'm very disappointed with what went on and I'm just waiting for Ewen McKenzie to get back from overseas so I can talk to him," Takiari said yesterday.

The 27-year-old also indicated he was waiting to receive clarification over the financial arrangement he had with the Waratahs.

NSW high performance general manager Tony D'Arcy, who finalised the situation with Takiari, said the matter was settled, with Takiari to be paid for the remainder of his academy contract, but that any player who moved on would be handled in the same manner.

"He's joining the Force and our policy for all players who actually move out of the academy is that we don't develop them any further from there, the Force takes over," D'Arcy said. "He is actually still involved in that he'll be invited to our Waratah dinner, but in terms of the academy stuff, [he won't be]. All our contractual obligations we'll continue to meet."

While he sorts out his situation off the field, the New Zealand-born front-rower will not be appearing on it as he recovers from his back complaint...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am very much looking forward to Sages expanation on how the Warratahs treat their own players

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs"He's joining the Force and our policy for all players who actually move out of the academy is that we don't develop them any further from there, the Force takes over," D'Arcy said. "He is actually still involved in that he'll be invited to our Waratah dinner, but in terms of the academy stuff, [he won't be
    . All our contractual obligations we'll continue to meet."
    Ok firstly, from what I've read about the situation, I don't agree with how this has been handled, he should be booted out of the academy, however it seems they're paying out his contract early and booting him from the entire NSWRU, which may be a little extreme.

But before anyone jumps the gun and gets all anti-NSW player treatment, I just want to make something clear. NSW stated that their policy for any player in the NSW Academy who sign with another province are no longer allowed to train using the NSWRU facilities and tutulage, which sounds fair to me. Don't agree that Rules are rules in this instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5 on Scott Fava's post game drinking
    Rules are rules and shouldn't be bent to accomodate anyone
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer on Scott Fava's post game drinking
    I'm afraid in my book, as far as this situation is concerned, the rules are the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs on David Pocock's ban
    First up I would say rules are rules, but then rules are also there to be modified as common sense prevails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile on David Pocock's ban
    I think I have to work on the theory of Rules are Rules. Whether you agree with the rules or not - You gotta play by them.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    I am very much looking forward to Sages expanation on how the Warratahs treat their own players
    I'd say Sage has rather eloquently explained NSWRU's position...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "NSW high performance general manager Tony D'Arcy"

................geez Darce.......you could be a bit nicer to our new boy......I remember when you were a new boy in kahki shorts and a horrible nickname

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice of them to invite him to their dinner though.

Seriously though, I would be dissapointed to lose a player after training him up to this level but that is the risk all teams take. I wonder if we have the same rule in place.

I reckon the reason the Tahs have done it so blatantly and publicly is to fire a warning shot to any others that may be considering a move. Not a nice thing to do but it's a business at the end of the day.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Pitty NSW and Ewen McKenzie don't have the money to put where their big, bullying mouths are. I think Takiari will be glad to get out of there and will be happy to find himself at the top of the Super 14 ladder in 2007, and in the Wallabies squad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Pitty NSW and Ewen McKenzie don't have the money to put where their big, bullying mouths are. I think Takiari will be glad to get out of there and will be happy to find himself at the top of the Super 14 ladder in 2007, and in the Wallabies squad!
    Before I post my reply, I just want to know if you're serious.

vCash
    Sage,

RE: all the evidentiary precedents you presented on "rulz is rulz, OK?"
    - you're not a lawyer are you?

I'm serious about one thing though, Ewen is starting to look like the kid who want's to take his ball home

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Sage,

RE: all the evidentiary precedents you presented on "rulz is rulz, OK?"
    - you're not a lawyer are you?

I'm serious about one thing though, Ewen is starting to look like the kid who want's to take his ball home
    No, just backing myself. This is a Force forum afterall so it'll be me Vs the rest.

In regards to Ewen, it may seem that way and yes, right now McKenzie isn't the happiest chappie. It'll take a couple of years maybe, but players will leave the Force looking for other opurtunities, first XV chances, etc. I can't imagine anyone is happy over losing players they've invested time and money in. So your feelings towards players jumping ship may change in a few years, maybe sooner. There will be oportunities with at least the Brumbies and Reds and those players that stepped up while other peope were injured will be the first to put the feelers out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    I can't imagine anyone is happy over losing players they've invested time and money in. So your feelings towards players jumping ship may change in a few years, maybe sooner.
    Well you're right. In fact the only posts I've made here about our signings so far have questioned them. I must admit to having a vague uneasy feeling at the moment. I know it's a business these days and players off contract this year have to be either recruited now or forgotten. BUT - i kinda liked the way things were looking. 3 year development plan, and all that stuff. Our "second string" backline is starting to look the goods and has done OK in trying circumstances. When you go to every match and watch an team of "underdogs" boxing above their weight, you've just gotta get attached to them. Loyalty. Even when they are still making game-costing mistakes.

But I still reckon Ewen is making a bit of a goose of himself

vCash
    I wasn’t specifically trying to stir you up this time Sage, although I do tend to over exaggerate sometimes.

I know we have had this debate (with Polls) before, but here are my views on the matter:
    The Force is good for Australian rugby because it has allowed for more players to gain experience at S14 level. Experienced players are also required in the squad, but they not going to travel all the way to Perth for nothing. The new Perth side has provided an opportunity for these players (e.g. Mitchell) to get off the bench and play more matches at their preferred positions. I think Laurie Fisher and Ewen McKenzie have been a little small-minded in the way they have tried to prevent a new side from improving its quality and depth by attracting some of the more experienced players. I’m sure McKenzie will just make up for the shortfall by purchasing some more ARL players.

The Force will be impressive next year despite the petty behaviour of the Waratahs, and this move will not do Takiari’s career any harm. If NSW were truly concerned about his development, then they would have made it worth his while to stay.

vCash
    My take on the situation, as foggy as it is to me!

I don't think a player should be able to negotiate with another team in the middle of the season. They should be forced to wait until after their last ganme. But as long as the are paying him it's their choice on what to do with him. Can't he just go over and train with the force?

The Waratahs better hope they win it all this year because their window of opportunity is closing quickly. It's pretty evident they are on their way down and the Force are on their way up!

vCash
    I wasn’t specifically trying to stir you up this time Sage, although I do tend to over exaggerate sometimes.
    Nah, I didn't think you were trying to stir me, it's not that easy to do anyway.

The Force is good for Australian rugby because it has allowed for more players to gain experience at S14 level. Experienced players are also required in the squad, but they not going to travel all the way to Perth for nothing. The new Perth side has provided an opportunity for these players (e.g. Mitchell) to get off the bench and play more matches at their preferred positions.
    I agree completely, it allows people who previously haven't had the chance to shine an opportunity to develop and show off their skills, it's great for Aus rugby. But I think it's happening the wrong way around. The more established players you attract to Perth, the more chance the eastern states will attract the bench warmers and the unknowns looking for a run elsewhere. But either way, the 4th team can be thanked for this.

I think Laurie Fisher and Ewen McKenzie have been a little small-minded in the way they have tried to prevent a new side from improving its quality and depth by attracting some of the more experienced players.
    I think they have bigger issues with the "way" they have been trying to attract some of the more experienced players. However no one is innocent here as NSW are poachers too.

I’m sure McKenzie will just make up for the shortfall by purchasing some more ARL players.
    Ouch, that was low.

The Force will be impressive next year despite the petty behaviour of the Waratahs, and this move will not do Takiari’s career any harm. If NSW were truly concerned about his development, then they would have made it worth his while to stay.
    Honestly I'm picking them for about the middle of the table, especially if next year is anything like this year, they could go 6th or even 5th!

Worth his while? By throwing money at him I'm guessing? I firmly believe Perth are overpaying to lure people, I hope it doesn't bite them on the arse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ
    The Waratahs better hope they win it all this year because their window of opportunity is closing quickly. It's pretty evident they are on their way down and the Force are on their way up!
    I disagree, currently the Reds and Brumbies are in far worse shape. The tahs have gotten off pretty lightly with the Force's poaching.

P.S. I haven't changed my opinion on MacKay's defection. The Force crossed me that day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast