Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheetahs v Western Force Round 13 2010 Super 14 preview

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cheetahs v Western Force Round 13 2010 Super 14 preview

A visit to the Cheetahs provided the Western Force with an important piece of history during their maiden season in 2006.

Further significant achievement beckons as the class of ’10 touches down in Bloemfontein. Five years ago, the Force scored their maiden win, at the 13th attempt of their freshman season, with winger Scott Staniforth posting the try, while Cameron Shepherd kicked 11 points in a 16-14 victory over the Cheetahs at Kimberly.

On Saturday, Shepherd will again be on duty – after being a late withdrawal last week due to a minor quadriceps strain; as the Force bid to gain just the second batch of three consecutive wins in their history. The Western Australians clocked up three successive wins in 2007, accounting for the Hurricanes, Queensland Reds and Sharks, but these were all achieved in Perth.

The current outfit heads to the Free State on the back of wins over the Crusaders and Lions, and are shooting for the Force’s fifth consecutive win over the Cheetahs, dating back to the franchise’s foundation season. The Force has already had one opportunity this season to stack up three in a row, but muffed that chance when losing away to the Blues.

John Mitchell’s men will be confident of maintaining their winning sequence this time after turning in a professional performance last weekend at Coca-Cola Park, where they advanced from a 12-12 score-line just before halftime, to comfortably dispose of the Lions, 33-12.

Although the Force have won just two more than they’ve lost from all matches against South African teams, with 12 wins, 10 losses and a draw to date; their winning ratio is actually much better from games played on South African soil. Last weekend’s success was the Force’s sixth from 11 matches in the Republic, while also having drawn another.

The Force’s two wins over the Cheetahs away from home have both been close run things, with two points separating the sides in 2006, while there was just one-point between them on the Force’s most recent visit two years ago, with Matt Giteau scoring all of the visitor’s points in a 16-15 win.

While the Force did clean up the Cheetahs by 28 on their first visit to Perth in 2007, with Staniforth and Ryan Cross each claiming two tries in the then record 45-17 win; the issue was much closer in the corresponding game last year, with the Force taking it 16-10.

James O’Connor scored the Force’s only try of last year’s match, and the teenage international is expected to be available this weekend, after sitting out the last two weeks to rest a shoulder injury. O’Connor is 11 points away from raising 100 in a Super Rugby season for the first time.

Prop Tim Fairbrother could also return, after missing last week through injury. Last weekend’s thrilling four-point win over the Blues, which was the Cheetahs’ third victory of the campaign, means that last year’s wooden spooners have successfully handed that mantle on to their arch rivals, the Lions.

Juan Smith’s team are jostling with the Highlanders and Force, who are currently two competition points above the South Africans, for 11th position on the ladder. The outcome this weekend could go along way towards determining who wins that position, especially as the Cheetahs host the bottom-placed Lions in the final game of the tournament.

The win over the Blues was just the Cheetahs’ 15th from 63 Super Rugby matches; 11 of which have been achieved from 31 games at home. Their record against Australian teams is unimpressive, having lost all three previous games this year. The Cheetahs’ 10-31 loss to the visiting Queensland Reds in March was their fifth defeat from nine against visiting Australian teams.

They have previously beaten the Reds twice at home, and the Waratahs and Brumbies once each.

Last Year – Western Force 16, Cheetahs 10 at Perth

The Last Time – The Cheetahs have made a bit of a habit out of stinging visiting Kiwi sides at Bloemfontein, with the Blues the latest victim after an all-action 36-32 win. For the second week running, the Western Force totally dominated a second half, running away from the Lions to win 33-12.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well all the indicators point to this being a real danger game, 'Never lost to the Cheetahs' is probably the biggest worry, closely followed by us trying to win three in a row

Hoodoos aside though the Cheetahs grow an extra leg at home, and beat a Blues team which we were hammered by recently. The Kiwi teams suck at travelling to South Africa, where we've usually enjoyed really good tours. Juan Smith is playing for a Springbok spot and the Force might get complacent in this one.

I'm not betting the farm on them, but I am bettign a significant stake. I think the attitude problems of previous years are gone and we'll be hard as nails for this match. Swap Shep for Spanner, we get more firepower and JOC can slot into 15 which will work out as a net gain in the backs.

Hilly has been kicking beautifully and we'll have done the hard yards at altitude last week.........the planets are lining up, all we need is for the boys to have the confidence to own the ball and dictate terms!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The big issue is that the last two times we've played the Cheetahs in Africa they've made monumental cock-ups. In 2006 they were 2 points behind and kicked for the corner instead of taking a shot at 3 points with but a few minutes remaining and in 2008 with the full time siren gone and them ahead on the scoreboard they pointlessly kicked at a penalty only to miss, have the ball ran back at them (one of the few moments of Drew Mitchell brilliance), concede a penalty and lose the game. Stupidity with a capital S. We can't afford to count on that happening this year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I was actually counting on the fact that we have a vastly improved pack (particularly the front row) a backline of similar quality and a #10 with some game vision and an ability to kick tactically.

I don't think we need the Cheetahs to cock up to win this game, but we can't afford to be any less than our Bulls, Waratahs, Stormers and Crusaders beating best!

C'mon the

vCash
    Spanners out for the rest of the S14.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

vCash
    It's only two weeks, that's nothing. OTOH it might work in our favour since he's negotiating a contract whilst injured!

C'mon the

vCash
    also remembering that welkom and bloemfontein are both still altitude games.. This not going to be easy but if the team sticks to their defensive structures and gets inventive and unpredictable in attack we should have this in the bag..
    [size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Hilly has been kicking beautifully and we'll have done the hard yards at altitude last week.........the planets are lining up, all we need is for the boys to have the confidence to own the ball and dictate terms!

Now that JOC is back in the side I assume he will take over the kicking duties... does anyone know for sure if this will be the case??...

vCash
    Well, on recent form, I would have thought Hill was ahead

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    The Cheetahs concern me more than the Lions did - just because I actually consider the Cheetahs a real team. I'm still confident though.

vCash
    With Shep and JO'C coming back to the side I can see them having a good night providing, as always, they are "up for it".

This match will see the team fielding it's strongest backline for 2010, though I'd prefer to see Brett Sheehan (anyone know if he's injured?) wearing 9. His aggressive game would be better suited against the Cheetahs, who'll likely send a lot of traffic down that channel.

This would be only their second three-peat in 5 seasons if they bring it off. The last one saw the boys go on to NZ to collect three of their biggest floggings at the hands of the Kiwis, unfortunately. This one can set them up for an historic 4 in-a-row. A lot to play for, even if the semis are well gone.

Force bu 13+.

PS. Any others heading to the Carbon to watch?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Danger game.... Force by 18 points I think this is their semi final for the year they need to win to take the momentum to the final next week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    PS. Any others heading to the Carbon to watch?
    Sure am

vCash
    !?!

vCash
    not quite the start we were looking for!.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast