Robertson breaks through for snooker title

04th May 2010

Neil Robertson has become just the first Australian since 1952 to win the snooker world championship, claiming the final 18-13 at the Crucible theatre in Sheffield, England this morning.

Robertson went into the third session 12-10 ahead in the first-to-18 final against Scotland's Graeme Dott and held his nerve to follow in the footsteps of Horace Lindrum, who won Australia's sole title in 1952.

The 28-year-old from Melbourne also becomes only the third champion from outside the British Isles, and the first since Canada's Cliff Thorburn in 1980.

The triumph capped off a real rags to riches story for Robertson, whose partner is due to give birth to a baby boy this week.

After leaving school to chase snooker stardom in the United Kingdom, he turned professional at age 16 before a lack of form and funds almost drove him to give up the sport.

He returned to the UK for the fourth time with just 500 pounds to his name and slowly re-built his ranking to break into the world's top 10 with four ranking titles.

"I had three goes at it really and I didn't do any good," Robertson said after winning the title.

"There is no way in the world any of the guys who beat me would think I could do what I've done.

"I kept persisting. I came over to Cambridge with 500 pounds in my pocket and I had to borrow a waistcoat off another Australian player. I couldn't afford to buy one.

"I could probably buy a few more now I guess."

Robertson's fighting spirit was clearly evident in the nerve-racking final despite this being just his sixth appearance at The Crucible.

The pair traded frames until Robertson edged out to a three-frame lead at 15-12, with the 27th frame lasting more than 40 minutes.

Dott, who won the world title in 2006, again pulled within two fames before the Melbourne left-hander reasserted himself as the favourite to claim his first world title by winning the 29th and 30th frames.

Robertson continued his convincing form in the final frame, blowing a kiss to his mother Alison in the stands before cleaning the table to achieve a life-long dream.

"I was really disappointed I couldn't have any family over for the final," Robertson said.

"Then I got a voicemail from my mum saying she had organised, when I was 15-9 up overnight over Ali Carter in the semi-final, to jump on a plane.

"So it was quite lucky I finished the job off."

Robertson said he hoped his victory will help the game grow in Australia.

"If this doesn't do anything, I probably won't call myself Australian anymore," Robertson joked.

"Australians love world champions and Olympic champions, it would have been a big blow if I had lost in the final.

"I had all sorts of those pressures to deal with.

"Hopefully this can start something special and get events out there."

Long journey

Robertson's brother Marc says Neil almost quit the sport because he was homesick.

He says coming back to Australia was always important for Robertson.

"You have to have a very good balance between staying at home and your professional career," he said.

"The main tour goes for about nine or 10 months, so whenever he has got a chance he always came back to Australia for a couple of months.

"He didn't really practice too much, just wanted to recharge his batteries, and when he heads back over he's all refreshed and ready to go again."

Mr Robertson says the win is particularly special because Robertson and his partner are set to welcome a baby boy any day.

"He has a lot going on right now. He's got a baby boy due yesterday. Mum's flown up [to watch him] last minute," he said.

Robertson was the first Australian to reach the final since 1975 when Eddie Charlton lost 31-30 to Ray Reardon in a tournament staged at Charlton's club in Melbourne.

Lindrum's success has long been a point of contention in the snooker world, with his victory coming at a time when many of the game's best boycotted the world championships.