Thread: POCOCK PICKS PERTH TO BE A FORCE

vCash

POCOCK PICKS PERTH TO BE A FORCE

Emirates Western Force Vice-Captain David Pocock will continue his career in Perth for at least the next two years after signing a new contract with the Super 14 franchise and the Australian Rugby Union.

Pocock has been part of the Emirates Western Force system since the club’s inception, joining as a 17 year old, and has developed into a world class flanker with more than 40 Super Rugby appearances and 15 test caps.

While a finger injury had Pocock sidelined for the early part of this season he made his comeback against the Stormers in round eight and helped inspire the Force to their first victory of 2010. The young star has been in sparkling form since returning, including a man-of-the-match performance on his 22nd birthday last Friday night in the club’s stunning win over the Crusaders at ME Bank Stadium.

“There is a line of promising young guys coming through and I feel like Western Australia is the place I can best continue to develop my game and contribute to the team as we move forward,” Pocock said.

“I really felt this is the best decision I could make at this stage of my career and I’m looking forward to being here for at least the next two years.

“The coaches have done a great job developing the talent here and I think that is going to continue, so I’m pretty excited about the next few seasons here in Perth.”

Pocock made his Super Rugby debut in 2006, playing one match, before becoming a regular in his second season at the Emirates Western Force, and hasn’t looked back.

A huge appetite for hard work and an unparalleled dedication and application to getting the best from himself has seen the youngster become one of the game’s most exciting players. Together with Richard Brown and Matt Hodgson, Pocock is part of what is arguably the best back row in the Super 14 competition.

“We’re delighted to have David remain in our program for the next two seasons,” Emirates Western Force General Manager of Rugby Mitch Hardy said.

“David is a quality player and person. He has made a significant contribution to the club in the five years he has been here and continues to elevate his performances each time he steps onto the field.

“His commitment to the Emirates Western Force reinforces Perth’s attraction as a great place to live and play rugby,” Hardy said.

Pocock has seen rugby prosper in Western Australia since the Emirates Western Force was established and paid tribute to the club’s legion of fans who he said has made a substantial impact on the group and the enjoyment of playing in Perth.

“You only have to look at our crowds each week to see the passion for this club and the code in WA,” Pocock said.

“Rugby is definitely on the up in Perth from the grass roots and junior participation to the quality of the local senior competition, it is all very positive.

“I think we have the most loyal and probably the loudest crowd in Australia. That’s obviously an added bonus for the players here and I hope I can contribute to the continued growth of rugby in WA,” he said.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58140.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 27-04-10 at 17:08.

vCash
    Sensational news.

Couldn't be happier!

Great timing heading into the expanded Super 15's competition next season!

vCash
    “There is a line of promising young guys coming through and I feel like Western Australia is the place I can best continue to develop my game and contribute to the team as we move forward,” Pocock said.

“I really felt this is the best decision I could make at this stage of my career and I’m looking forward to being here for at least the next two years.

“The coaches have done a great job developing the talent here and I think that is going to continue, so I’m pretty excited about the next few seasons here in Perth.”

Pocock made his Super Rugby debut in 2006, playing one match, before becoming a regular in his second season at the Emirates Western Force, and hasn’t looked back. (That's not quite true)

“You only have to look at our crowds each week to see the passion for this club and the code in WA,” Pocock said.

“Rugby is definitely on the up in Perth from the grass roots and junior participation to the quality of the local senior competition, it is all very positive.

“I think we have the most loyal and probably the loudest crowd in Australia. That’s obviously an added bonus for the players here and I hope I can contribute to the continued growth of rugby in WA,” he said.

He is very astute.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    ...Pocock made his Super Rugby debut in 2006, playing one match, before becoming a regular in his second season at the Emirates Western Force, and hasn’t looked back. (That's not quite true)
    Which bit WF?

Player Debuts & Caps

#/Name/Date & Opponent/Caps
    32 Pocock, David May 12 2006 v Sharks 43

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    SWEET!

vCash
    Oh, woops, misread it.
    Thought it said since 2006 EWF hadn't looked back.

Apologies

Senior Player
    vCash
    Absolutely fantastic news!!! Good on ya, Bam Bam!!

vCash
    Any thoughts as to whether this will affect QC's decision? It seems that QC, JO'C and Bam are seen together a quite a bit?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the unofficial position is "unlikely" Nipper, odds are QC will be staying in Redtown regardless.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone one got the goss on how is brother Steve is going in the academy? And what position is he being developed for?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    well he is a fair bit lighter than Bambam so id expect him to look at a centre spot. Bam did play in the line during his school years and only started playing flanker when he came into the Force academy AFAIK.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A bit more here from The Roar with extra quotes:

Pocock sees best future at the Force

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 09:34 AM PDT

Wallabies flanker David Pocock believes his rugby future will be best served by staying in Perth after re-signing with the Western Force for the next two Super seasons.

And the 22-year-old hopes his decision to stay will convince others to do the same.

Pocock, with 15 Test caps to his name, has already established himself as the Wallabies’ first-choice No.7 following the international retirement of George Smith.

The Zimbabwean-born powerhouse, nicknamed Bam Bam, said the chance to build something special at the Force was too good to turn away from.

“I’m really excited about it. To keep playing with Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown (in the back row) was a big plus for me so I’m looking forward to it,” Pocock said.

“There were a few different options to think about and I did consider other things but the best decision for me at the moment is the Force.

“There’s a good feel amongst the side despite the losses.

“And the whole coaching question, we are pretty confident the new CEO will fix it all up and get the right coach when John Mitchell leaves (at the end of next season).

“That wasn’t an issue for me.

“Every player has to weigh up the pros and cons for whatever options are available.

“It’s up to other guys to decide what they want to do now.

“It’s a young group and just from this year, things have changed a lot since a few of our bigger name players left.

“Some sort of rebuilding phase I guess and there’s a genuine good feeling.

“This group really wants to work for each other.

“When the team does turn up and play well, guys are playing for each other, so that was a big thing for me.”

Pocock, who has notched 53 super caps since debuting for the Force as a 17-year-old in 2006, felt the Force was the right place for him to take his game to an even higher level.

“I do feel like I’ve improved a lot as a player here and I think there’s more opportunity to improve,” he said.

“My decision was based more on rugby and where I felt where I could develop more but it’s definitely a bonus living in Perth.

“The beaches are good, there’s hardly any traffic, it’s good to get around.

“And I guess it’s a bit of a plus it’s not really a rugby town. A lot of the media and hype is around the AFL, which I quite like.”

The Force started the season with six straight losses but have won three of their past four matches to climb off the bottom of the table heading into Saturday’s clash with the last-placed Lions.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    lol

to be sure to be sure!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

“I’m really excited about it. To keep playing with Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown (in the back row) was a big plus for me so I’m looking forward to it,” Pocock said.
    Here's hoping it continues for a long, long time!