Thread: Lions have a 'mental barrier'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lions have a 'mental barrier'

Lions have a 'mental barrier'

Article By:
    Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:47
    Lions coach Dick Muir, battling a rash of new injuries, admitted that the 10-match losing streak is becoming a huge mental factor for his team.
    Speaking to iafrica.com ahead of the team's next assignment, the Western Force in Johannesburg on Saturday, Muir revealed that three key players are doubtful starters.
    "Yes, we have quite a few injuries," Muir said.
    Star lock Franco van der Merwe tops the list of doubtful starters, after he picked up a back injury in the 11-51 loss to the Bulls at the weekend. Muir said he will leave a decision on Van der Merwe up to the last minute.
    "He is a key player to us," he told this website.
    Both outside centre Marius Delport and All Black import Carlos Spencer suffered hamstring strains and a call on their availability will also be made "later in the week".
    The Lions will also still be without injured star midfielder Doppies la Grange.
    However, for Muir it is more important that the players overcome the mental scars left after the second-half collapse against the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld last Saturday - which condemned them to their 10th straight loss of the season.
    Having trailed just 8-12 at the halftime break and 11-22 going into the final quarter, the Bulls ran in five more tries (29 points) in just over 15 minutes, to rip the hearts out of the brave Lions squad.
    "That is what is so disappointing about it," Muir told rugby365.com, adding: "We were in there for so long and then the score blew out to what it did."
    He ascribed that final quarter blow-out to a combination of his own players' lack of experience, as well as the experience and composure of the season Bulls players.
    "The Bulls are an unbelievable outfit and when they get that momentum going, particularly at Loftus, they are a very difficult side. Added to that, we gave them far too much possession."
    He admitted that there is no let-up for his team, with the ever improving Western Force - who trounced the Crusaders last Saturday - arriving in Johannesburg this week.
    Muir said the "determination and desperation" to get that first win is definitely there.
    "We just have to keep soldiering on," the Lions mentor said, adding: "It is a huge mental thing now.
    "When we play, we can front up to the best, but we are just not putting 80 minutes together. However, we will continue to work to get better."
    He dismissed the notion that the Force would be easier opponent than the Bulls.
    "They are most definitely an improving team.
    "They also had that drought [six straight defeats] and a lot of injuries. However, they overcame that and they have been good ever since," he said of a Force team that has won three of its last four games, including last Saturday's impressive triumph over the Crusaders.
    "That just shows what that mental drain is and how it can affect you," Muir said.
    He added that it will require a concerted 80-minute effort from his side to get the win.
    "We know they are not a team that goes away, they have shown a lot of character.
    "They are a side that gives it a full go all the time," the Lions mentor added.

http://sport.iafrica.com/rugby/news/2241410.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It was a great 60-65 minute effort, there is no doubt.
    I can't see their woes ending this week though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I've gone all in on the Force

Nuff said!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might have wanted to save some for the margin betting for better odds

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The problem the Lions have is they are just plain garbage

vCash
    Id say its a culture..
    they have some great players

Le Grange
    Chavanga
    Marius Delport
    Mentz
    Clever

all great players.. but its the self belief, fitness and coaching program i think that is really hurting these guys.. they just dont have the pedigree or support that the other SA teams have. (chicken vs egg) I know of quite few expat Lions supporters here in Perth that changed their allegances because they have been so poor over the last 8-10 years.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was watching the last match with a die hard supporter and he rattled off the number of current players that either started with the Lions or are from the Lions catchment area but went elsewhere, it was a pretty impressive potential Squad.

The other thing that was interesting was the level of resignation in his voice when the wheels started falling of at the end of the match!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Might have wanted to save some for the margin betting for better odds
    I suck at margins, and first scorer etc, the Head to Head was where the good money was at. I got better money for the Force than the Canes and it was much more of a sure thing.

I'll throw around the Couple of G's I get between now and saturday into the Force v Lions book and wait for the money to roll in at 1.75!

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

that's true Burgs, but we were beginning to get that around week 5

Listen to us now!!!!!!

(OK I know the situations a bit different as in we had a light at the end of the tunnel, but still)

C'mon the