Thread: Ben Lucas sticks around for more of the good times in Queensland

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ben Lucas sticks around for more of the good times in Queensland

Ben Lucas sticks around for more of the good times in Queensland

By Greg Davis
    April 25, 2010 .

Utility Ben Lucas has bought into the Reds revolution by re-signing with Queensland for another two years.

In further evidence of the commitment to the Queensland cause at Ballymore, Lucas agreed to terms even though he is trapped behind the dynamic halves duo of Will Genia and Quade Cooper.

The 22-year-old knows he faces an uphill battle to force his way off the bench and into the starting side at halfback or flyhalf, but wants to be a part of the Reds revival under coach Ewen McKenzie.

Lucas is a talent. He started the 2009 Super 14 season in the Queensland No.9 jersey ahead of Genia but a rib injury handed the current acting-skipper his chance to shine.

"I see myself as a halfback that can cover a couple of positions such as flyhalf so obviously there is some good competition ahead of me at the moment," Lucas said.

"I'm very happy in Queensland. I like playing rugby here. I like living here.

"We've been through some tough times but you can see things are on the up. Queensland rugby is moving forward and I want to be a part of it."

That sentiment is running deep at Ballymore.

The prospect of being around for the good times after years of struggle is making the always difficult retention process slightly easier for Reds powerbrokers.

"We are a pretty tight-knit unit . . . and we have been through a lot together," Lucas said.

"It would be good if we can stick together and continue this form and continue to build on what we've done this year."

Lucas, who debuted for Queensland in 2008, said discussions with McKenzie, Reds general manager Daniel Herbert and Queensland great Tim Horan made his decision simple.

"Link (McKenzie) is a switched-on guy and he's got some good ideas on how I can build on my game," Lucas said.

"Dan Herbert was good, too, and speaking to blokes like Timmy Horan, who was a childhood hero, helps."

The Sunday Mail (Qld)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm surprised that the force or rebels didn't chase him harder
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    its all about priorities really.

we have three great halfbacks at the moment and Lucas wouldnt be my first pick for Fly half either..