Thread: Back row a tour de Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Back row a tour de Force

Back row a tour de Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian April 26, 2010, 8:55 am

• Buzz up!

Getty Images / Paul Kane ©

Wallabies assistant coach Jim Williams rated the performance of the Western Force's back row in the boilover win against the Crusaders as one of the best Super 14 displays he had seen.

The trio of Matt Hodgson, David Pocock and Richard Brown - with plenty of help from second-rowers captain Nathan Sharpe and Ben McCalman - laid the foundations for the historic 24-16 victory on Friday night, the first time the Force had beaten the New Zealand side.

Williams, who was at ME Bank Stadium with Wallabies head coach Robbie Deans to watch the Force come from 13 points behind at half-time, said: "That performance (by the back row) was one of the best. They were up there.

"They outplayed the Crusaders on the ball and had such a presence on the breakdown. David Pocock was superb in that area."

It came as no surprise to the former Wallabies back-rower that one of the trio was on hand to take the final pass for the long-range try that sealed the win after 70 minutes.

Hodgson raced the length of the field to grab the bouncing flick pass from Cameron Shepherd after hooker Nathan Charles had taken off on an 80m run.

"Any one of those three (back-rowers) would have been there at the end," Williams said. "Hodgo (who is 28) is playing like a 19-year-old. He's been unbelievable this season."

Williams described the leadership of Sharpe in the injury-hit season as phenomenal.
    He said Sharpe's performances had come at a critical time for him as the Wallabies prepare for the 2011 World Cup.

"It's Force first for Sharpie but he's taken great strides towards the Wallabies," Williams said.

"It's important to me that blokes lead by example. What they say is important but they have to back it up.

"Sharpie has been excellent all year. His leadership by example has been most impressive, his work rate has been phenomenal."

Force coach John Mitchell said Sharpe made an inspirational speech at half-time in the Crusaders clash and Pocock, who celebrated his 22nd birthday with the win, said there was plenty of feeling in the change rooms.

"Everyone knew we were still in it. It was a matter of who was willing to do the most to come out on top," he said.

"It's been tough at times this season. Sharpie has stepped up and we wanted to put in that extra effort with him."

A confident Force squad, expected to consist of Friday night's team with the addition of backs James O'Connor and Scott Staniforth and prop Nic Henderson, heads to South Africa for games against the Lions and Cheetahs, both below the Force on the table, and the Sharks, who are two spots higher.

Mitchell, who will not return after next season, has endorsed his assistant and Wallabies skills coach Richard Graham as his successor.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...tour-de-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Im pretty sure Hodgo was involved in the tackle with sharpie that forced the turnover ball that charles picked up on, and to to follow that up by running the length of the field and backing charles and sheps up to complete the try is the sorta stuff you see mccaw and george smith do.....if hodgo doesnt figure prominently in the wallabies squad this year it would be a crime i tell you! Phenomonal year.

Also Im gonna make the call that Sharpie should be installed as captain of the wallabies with genia as vice captain. Rocky has never inspired me as a leader but sharpie has proved himself ever since the inception of the western force.

vCash
    Wallabies v Fiji 5/6/2010

5) Sharpe (C)
    6) Hodgsen
    7) Pocock
    8) Higginbotham

19) Brown

You heard it here first

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I don't want Sharpe as the wallabies captain. It's hard enough supporting the allblacks and anyone playing the wallabies, and semi-supporting the boys from the force when they pull on the gold.

vCash
    see - thats where you're outnumbered mate

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You are fortunate that we are good natured folk and you didn't get 500 smotings Jombi

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Genia will be the Wallaby captain in the long term. Or Pocock. But I think they will stick with Elsom for this year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For mine it would be Pocock (C) & Genia (VC) post World Cup.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    For mine it would be Pocock (C) & Genia (VC) post World Cup.

The only reason it may be the other way round is that Pococks head will be buried deep in the ruck, and so wont know what is going on around him as much as Genia who will be sitting back and surveying all the options.

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see Ben Mac is getting some credit for his work..... u know he may get Wallabie honours (initial games anyway...) who else is a good mobile lock!! Chisholm done nothing this year,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    The only reason it may be the other way round is that Pococks head will be buried deep in the ruck, and so wont know what is going on around him as much as Genia who will be sitting back and surveying all the options.
    I agree you get a great perspective of the game from No 9, but McCaw's done an ok job at No 7 for the ABs and Saders

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, agreed there may be a slight advantage in phase management however, at this level I think it is more about man management and diplomacy.
    The majority of S14 Captains at the start of the season (if not now too) were Forwards.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Both Genia and Pocock are genuine blokes that lead by example. Either one would be a great captain but Rocky will be there until after the world cup. Unless something disastrous happens!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Sharpie definately should be Wallabies captain, he has been inspirational.

Player
    vCash
    I can't see Elsom even being picked in the run on 15 on his form this year. T I'd pick Hodgson or Higginbotham ahead of him. The captain has to be a sure starter and for mine, now is the time to install either Pocock or Genia- both sure to hold their spots til 2015.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast