Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force will play for itself in South Africa after serving other Australian tea

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force will play for itself in South Africa after serving other Australian tea

Western Force will play for itself in South Africa after serving other Australian teams

HAVING performed its last useful service to Australia's three remaining Super 14 finals contenders by beating the Crusaders, the Western Force will leave tomorrow for its season-ending tour to South Africa content just to play for itself.

"That was our parting gift to everyone," said Force captain Nathan Sharpe, referring to his side's extraordinary come-from-behind 24-16 victory over the seven-times champions in front of a sellout crowd of 19,279 on Friday night.

"But our last three matches (against the Lions, Cheetahs and Sharks) are all against teams that, like us, are out of the running for the playoffs so our results from here aren't going to influence anything.

"At the moment there is talk about everyone on tour getting some game time, but we're also looking to win all three matches."

The Force certainly showed against the Crusaders that it has the personnel and weapons to complete the tour unbeaten, with winger Cameron Shepherd and number eight Richard Brown both producing their most powerful games yet since returning from long injury lay-offs.

But what would have had their three South African opponents sitting up and paying attention was that the Force actually scored a rolling maul try against the Crusaders. The Sharks especially would have been miffed, no doubt suspecting that if anyone wielded that particular weapon it would be them. It was the way they came from 21-9 down to defeat the Reds.

Had the Crusaders won in Perth, they would have moved to the top of the Super 14 ladder, albeit only until the Bulls disposed of the Lions, but the shock defeat has left them level on points (34) with the Reds and Stormers and only one ahead of the Waratahs.

But while the Perth match has complicated life for the Crusaders, it would seem to have simplified things for the Force.

Previously, Sharpe said, the club had intended to headhunt an international hooker to fill its marquee player vacancy next season. But after the outstanding efforts of youngsters Ben Whittaker, who scored a try against the Crusaders, and Nathan Charles, whose 60m breakout set up the match-winner for Matt Hodgson, hooker no longer is a problem position.

Instead, the Force now will start searching for a marquee five-eighth to replace former All Black David Hill who unfortunately remains under contract to a Japanese club and will have to return there at the end of the Super 14 campaign.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225858115425

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    wonder how much it would cost to buy out hill's contract

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    By no means a marquee suggestion, but watched the Shute Shield first half yesterday, Randwick v Easts, and Ben Ward was in pretty handy form for the time I watched. He now captains Easts.
    Also good performances from Richard Stanford, Will Brock (Easts), Gene Fairbanks and Dane Inman (Randwick).
    There where others playing well for both sides but didn't catch all the names.
    Not sure why Antonio? Halangahu hasn't made a S14 Squad yet.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Previously, Sharpe said, the club had intended to headhunt an international hooker to fill its marquee player vacancy next season. But after the outstanding efforts of youngsters Ben Whittaker, who scored a try against the Crusaders, and Nathan Charles
    I understood Nathan Charles was only "on loan" after the injury to Ryan Tyrell? After what Ryan's Dad passed on to James, we may unfortunately still be short in the engineroom.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    this makes me think of what happened to jono jenkins. i know he broke his ankle, and i assume his short term contract was stuffed there. i'm just curious to know how his rehab is going

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think Nathan Charles will be pretty keen to stay- he was only on an academy contract at the Brumbies and he commands a bench spot at the very least at the Force. I am pretty sure he said he'd be keen to stay on for next year in some article or other. Charles and Whittaker would make a great pair with an academy player to cover any injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    By no means a marquee suggestion, but watched the Shute Shield first half yesterday, Randwick v Easts, and Ben Ward was in pretty handy form for the time I watched. He now captains Easts.
    Also good performances from Richard Stanford, Will Brock (Easts), Gene Fairbanks and Dane Inman (Randwick).
    There where others playing well for both sides but didn't catch all the names.
    Not sure why Antonio? Halangahu hasn't made a S14 Squad yet.
    Apparently the Force have offered Fairbanks a contract. I can't say I'm the biggest fan but he did play well in that game. I think Ben Ward was in the Force academy in 2006. Looks like the Force aren't too confident on getting Cooper. Hopefully something good will come up between now and the end of the year. I reckon we'd have done a whole lot better this year if we'd had Hill from day one and the team were used to playing with each other.

With Luke Jones gone and Hill/Pretorius gone we are looking at a lock and another fly-half. Maybe another winger too if Spanner wasn't going to stay.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Correct on Ben Ward re Academy, that's why I mentioned it, bit of a "Where are they now" type

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Fairbanks is a big improvement on sam harris.
    good call in sticking with whittaker and charles(hopefully he wants to stay here...weathers much better here then in canberra).
    as far as flyhalf goes i dont think we need anyone too flashy as Hill has already shown.
    Just throwing some names around michalak, norton knight, isa nacewa, tusi pisi, nicky little, derick hougaard, butch james(would more then likely go back to sharks), loki crichton, hernandez, lavea........not much to really get excited about hey. hahahha
    im amazed toomua or lealifano didnt see the force as an oppurtunity. same goes with ben lucas.
    id take jimmy hilgendorf and james stanard back.

Champion
    vCash
    I think too mucch is made of marque players..... Braid is about the omly one that has shown his worth (Alesi (Tahs) benched! Carlos Spensor (so so)..... lets keep the money and buy a good solid young 1st 5/8 in Audstrlia at lweast they may stay for more than a year!

vCash
    Is 'Dorf out of the picture now?

And Bdavey, we have Hunt as our future first five, but he is still atleast another year off starting for the force. A marquee signing is a good idea because it frees uo the spot for him when he's ready, and someone to learn off.

I reckon we should go after James Hook, make a deal with the WRU with the premise of their best player playing in the toughest provincial championship prior to the world cup rather than prancing around Europe!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Maybe another winger too if Spanner wasn't going to stay.
    i believe that spanner has been offered a contract for at least next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    i believe that spanner has been offered a contract for at least next year.
    Fantastic news (if correct).

I recall Charles saying he wants to stay out here, too. Think it was an article in the West 2-3 weeks ago.

And I agree that we don't need a superstar 10 to replace Hill. All we need is a player who keeps his head. Experience, and a willingness to educate Hunt, are what we should be looking for.

Actually, I reckon that (bizarrely) not having our best back on the pitch helped us beat the Crusaders. When Rabbit is around, there's a tendency for all play to go through him and others sit back a bit and wait for him to weave his magic. Against the Crusaders they'd have targetted Rabbit and shut him down. However, not having that outlet forced the others to raise their game a bit. Hopefully they don't forget that when Rabbit comes back, so he doesn't have to do it all on his own. (That tactic worked so well with Giteau!)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Fairbanks is a big improvement on sam harris.
    good call in sticking with whittaker and charles(hopefully he wants to stay here...weathers much better here then in canberra).
    as far as flyhalf goes i dont think we need anyone too flashy as Hill has already shown.
    Just throwing some names around michalak, norton knight, isa nacewa, tusi pisi, nicky little, derick hougaard, butch james(would more then likely go back to sharks), loki crichton, hernandez, lavea........not much to really get excited about hey. hahahha
    im amazed toomua or lealifano didnt see the force as an oppurtunity. same goes with ben lucas.
    id take jimmy hilgendorf and james stanard back.
    Yeah there are definitely some options out there. Of those ones:

Definitely interested: Nacewa, Hernandez

Maybe: Michalak, Pisi, Little, Lavea

Hell no: Norton Knight, Hougaard, James, Crichton

I'd be keen to know what Nick Evans is up to.

The best bet I reckon is to try and use the 'development' marquee slot to pick up one of the 21 year old NZ fly-halves. They can't all play for the All Blacks and between Trent Renata, Daniel Kirkpatrick, Robbie Robinson, Colin Slade, Aaron Cruden, Michael Hobbs and Willie Ripia there are 7 fly-halves with a bit of experience a lot of talent and someone willing to come to WA.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    What sort of message does that send to Hunt though James?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Of them, Michael Hobbs for me thanks. Already been to play in Australia (Melbourne Rebels ARC), very level headed and as the son of an NZ Rugby legend would really piss the Kiwis off

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast