Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell eyes Chiefs job

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell eyes Chiefs job

EXCLUSIVE: JOHN Mitchell is eyeing a return to New Zealand to coach the Chiefs again.

The former All Blacks coach is leaving the Western Force at the end of next season and sources in Waikato have told Sunday News he's looking at making a stunning return to Hamilton.

Mitchell told media last week while in New Zealand that he is open to coaching the All Blacks again.

"I've got to earn that right," he said before the Force's clash with the Blues last weekend.

"First and foremost is my job here with the Western Force and I'm committed right through to the end of my contract. After that, New Zealand will be taken into consideration.

"Let's face it, I was disappointed with the World Cup result. I took it personally. But that's just natural. I think I'm a better character and person for that experience."

Sunday News can reveal the wheels are already in motion for all of this to happen.

During Mitchell's stay in Auckland he made a to Hamilton for a meeting with Chiefs CEO Gary Dawson.

"He was looking to see what they've got but one eye is on getting the Chiefs job again," a source said.

Dawson confirmed he met with Mitchell last week.

"I always catch up with Mitch, as I do with Warren Gatland. We always catch up and have a coffee.

"There was nothing in it, and it's the same when Warren is in town and any other Chiefs coach – it's just a courtesy we extend to them.

"There have been a number of people who have expressed an interest in the position.

"It's very early days yet – we've got a lot of work to do. We've got to get through this season first and Fozzie [Ian Foster] is here, of course, next year.

"So we'll work with the NZRU just on the timing of everything but it is early days yet."

Mitchell coached the Chiefs in 2001, where the team finished sixth, and went on to coach the All Blacks later in the year.

While he has mixed results with the Western Force, in the past few weeks has masterminded big wins over the Highlanders and Crusaders. And with the team now over their early season injury crisis, they look a well drilled team with explosive capabilities.

But Mitchell may not be the only big-name coach interested in the Chiefs.

Wales coach Warren Gatland will also be looking for a new job after next years' World Cup and has made no secret of the fact he'd love to coach the Chiefs in the future.

Dawson said it was important to get the timing right on when they appoint a successor for Foster.

"You don't want to leave it too late but you don't want to go too early either. We'll sit with the NZRU and map out the process but we're not anticipating doing that until the end of Super rugby this year."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/s...yes-Chiefs-job

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    all this is doing is confirming my opinion that now mitch has announced he wont re-sign, he should go. so that all off contract players can play next season under the new head coach and see if they like it and want to continue their careers here...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see any connection between announcement and needing to go but each to their own.
    Footage last week showed him in civvies at the Chiefs match.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I don't see any connection between announcement and needing to go but each to their own.
    Footage last week showed him in civvies at the Chiefs match.

i think that his announcement that he will see out his contract is the worst possible thing he could have said.
    dont get me wrong i'd have preferred he stay on as head coach. but with a lot of players off contract next year, i think an opportunity to have a season under a the new coach, and play his game and all that jazz is the best option
    that way they can decide if they like the way he steers the team, and they can decide if they want to remain under this head coach. the uncertainty of whats going to happen with the new coach and said player being locked into a contract for X amount of years might not appeal to some players.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So what was the alternative, wait until Round 14 next year?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ask for an early release?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Why, he wants to complete his contract?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    without a doubt. i can understand him wanting to do that. he came here with a set of goals he wanted to accomplish. he would want to have every possible opportunity to reach them.

i'm just worried it might create insecurties...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So by extension, what you are proposing is that in the future Coaches should have contracts of X years (less any remaining season you aren't going to renew on from). As in, you are contracted through to 2015 but if in 2013 you state you aren't going to renew then you are really only contracted until 2014.
    That would be crazy. Talk about players not knowing where they stand.
    In the end you would end up with no Coach publicly stating when he was going to retire until days before it happened.
    The position you are representing just makes absolutely no sense.
    Different story if there was a vote of no confidence by the Board, Management or Players but that couldn't be further from the situation in this instance.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    without turning this into a petty argument. i think i had a pretty valid point about giving the players comming off contract next year time to get used to the way the new head coach runs things, and seeing how they enjoy that and if they want to remain part of the new set up.
    i think it gives them more security, and definatley surety when they are concidering their futures; if they enjoy the way things are being run under the new coach. other than having to think about it like this: well we've got ... and he did this, this and this with this club. i dunno if i like the way their game changed when he was there. i wonder what kind of changes he will make here...

if they dont like it, they gave it a go, and they can choose not to renew their contract.

it was just a thought i had

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You do have a valid point Jono and I 95% agree with you.

Another consideration though is that it's possible some of the players may still not be on great terms with Mitch. Maybe him going will augur well for retaining off contract players. It might also be beneficial for the players to feel like they are getting input on who the next coach will be. Nothing worse than being lumped with a coach you don't like/respect (John Connolly) and nothing better than to be consulted on the big issues.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You're both nuts...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In this mornings West Mitchell was endorsing Force assistant coach and Wallabies Skills Coach Richard Graham as his successor.

Link to be put up later.

vCash
    in house promotion could actually be the way to go

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Link can stay at the Reds thanks

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast