Thread: Force upset Crusaders

vCash

Force upset Crusaders

Article from superrugby.co.nz: Official Site of New Zealand Super Rugby

Sportal.co.nz - (24/04/2010)
    David Hill - Getty Images

The Western Force pulled off an amazing upset when they fought back from 13-nil down at half-time to beat the top-of-the-table Crusaders for the first time ever 24-16 at ME Bank Stadium on Friday night.

The Crusaders came into the game on top of the Super 14 table with the seven-time champions on a seven-game undefeated run.

The Force were not only well out of semi-final contention, but had never beaten the Crusaders in four attempts.

The two draws in those had shown that the Force could take it to the Canterbury-side, but on Friday they put in an incredible second-half display in front of a sold out home crowd in the final game of the season in Perth.

The Crusaders were on top at half-time thanks to a try to halfback Kahn Fotuali'i, drop goal to him also and penalty and conversion to the returning Dan Carter, but the Force were dominant in the second half.

The Crusaders barely went into their attacking half as the Force scored three tries thanks to hooker Ben Whittaker, prop Pek Cowan and flanker Matt Hodgson before David Hill iced the game with his first of four penalty kicks in the dying stages.

The Force have now beaten every team in the competition after claiming the scalp of the Crusaders, who remain on top of the Rebel Sport Super 14 after the Stormers lost to the Reds on Friday.

The Crusaders made an ominous start in the opening few minutes when Fotuali'i cruised in for an easy try. From the ruck, the halfback picked the ball up and strolled past an absence Force defence to put the ball under the post.

Carter converted on his return and the Crusaders were already up 7-0.

To the Force's credit they looked good in possession for the next 15 minutes, but couldn't capitalise on it with Brett Sheehan and Hill missing penalty attempts.

The Crusaders finally got some ball and capitalised by taking a rushed drop goal just after regaining possession. Halfback Fotuali'i didn't strike it at all well, but got just enough on it to get it over the post to put the visitors' up 10-0.

It was now the Crusaders back in control of possession and they earned another penalty. Carter made no mistake to put his side up 13-0 and that's where it remained at half-time.

The Force again pressed hard to start the second half, but lost a penalty deep in attack before hooker Whittaker got on the end of a number of phases shortly after that broke down the Crusaders' defence.

He was awarded the try after the close watch of the TMO and then it was only six minutes later when the Force had their second try through Cowan.

From a lineout, the Force were able to turn the rolling maul around and Cowan snuck through to score the try. When Hill converted off the upright, the home side was surprisingly in front 14-13.

The Crusaders' best chance of the half to date came in the 68th minute, but replacement halfback Andy Ellis dropped the ball as he was heading towards the try line. They got possession back and Carter took the chance to nail a drop goal to put the visitors back in front by one.

The Force weren't done with yet, though, and an incredible run by replacement hooker Nathan Charles, who ran 60 metres after collecting a loose ball from a ruck. Once tackled, he got the ball to Cameron Shepherd who got it to Hodgson who scored the try.

Hill converted the Force led 21-16 with 10 minutes to go. With just over three to go, the Force earned another penalty and Hill nailed this one to seal the win.

Both teams now head to South Africa with the Force finishing their season away to the Lions, Cheetahs and Sharks while the Crusaders take on the Stormers and Bulls before finishing the season at home to the Brumbies.

Western Force 24
    Tries: Ben Whittaker, Pek Cowan, Matt Hodgson
    Conversions: David Hill 3
    Penalties: David Hill 1

Crusaders 16
    Tries: Kahn Fotuali'i
    Conversions: Daniel Carter
    Penalties: Daniel Carter
    Drop Goals: Kahn Fotuali'i 1, Daniel Carter 1
    HT: 0-13

Nice to see no negatives.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Brilliant game and fantastic result!

The only negative I have is that Charles didn't make it a 95m try to a hooker!!! Bloody fatties giving up 20m before the line and thinking they can just stroll over!

vCash
    I thought it was Inman at first that was making the dash for the line becasue of his pace, and was wondering why he ran out of steam 20m before the line. Bloody impressive pace from the big fella!

vCash
    Our three tries were all to/by forwards weren't they - is that unusual?

vCash
    To win was great but to win with a SELL OUT was even better! I heard so many people say they couldn't get their mates in at the gate because it was sold out!

This is a great endof the season that was over before it started! would love to get three from three in SA.

So we have now won 3 from the last 4 right? if so that is bloody awsome, so what having a very close to full strength team does!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    There should be another 3, or a definite 2 more wins for us as well. With this sort of form, and hopefully JO'C and Spanner to come back, the Lions and Cheetahs should be definite wins, and the Sharks have been looking pretty average as well this year.

That would put us somewhere mid table, which would be a damn good effort with the injuries we've had this season. Looking forward to it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post

That would put us somewhere mid table, which would be a damn good effort with the injuries we've had this season. Looking forward to it!
    I was still predicting that after the first few matches. But deep down I suppose I had doubts. The Reds and Blues matches have been the only two matches I'd say the boys have been off their game. Four in a row to finish off is a real possibility now.

I gotta admit I love the underdog - sometimes even if they are the opposition - and I always look back fondly on the team's efforts in 2006. But 2010 has been their finest hour. Nathan Sharp has become legendary and is leading this team to maturity. John Mitchell is OK too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It was apparently a sell-out well before the start. My father was a little late in arriving and there were a large number of folk walking back to the train station telling everyone going towards the game not to bother. I hope there was some estimate possible for the number of people turned away. Imagine the atmosphere if we had a stand to put them all in!

Awesome game. Great to see what is possible now they finally seem to have broken out of the kicking mindset and are having a crack (anyone else notice how it is now the Brumbies backs that keep trying those wanky little toe throughs? Wonder where that came from...). Pek's try from a rolling maul was a beautiful thing, but both the first two tries came from penalty kicks not taken at the posts. You build and sustain pressure, anything is possible. That was a great scalp and roll on the African tour.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Was that the first try we've ever scored off the back of a rolling maul? I can't remember any others.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It was a battle of the back rows -and hey, the best back row won!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ob1MIREigck

Highlights from S14 Extra Time.[YOUTUBE]ob1MIREigck[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 27-04-10 at 07:05.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ob1MIREigck

Highlights from S14 Extra Time.[YOUTUBE]ob1MIREigck[/YOUTUBE]
    Jombi luv u utune moments mate keep it up... filed away mate in the Force moments file for those boring days i need a pick me up