Thread: Force aim to conquer South Africa

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force aim to conquer South Africa

The Western Force are confident of completing a clean sweep of their upcoming three-match tour to South Africa after upsetting the Crusaders in Perth.

A gut-busting 75m run from reserve hooker Nathan Charles helped lift the Force to the 24-16 victory, the Perth club's first ever win over the Crusaders.

The Force have won three of their past four games and round out the season with matches against the Lions, Cheetahs and Sharks.

Coach John Mitchell said it was important to finish off the season strongly after starting the campaign with six straight losses.

"I think the next three weeks are extremely important for us in terms of taking momentum into next year," Mitchell said.

"With this being a new group. some 12 players have been introduced into the program this year and we've used 38 players, so grabbing belief about the way we like playing and using this template to go forward will augur well.

"It's a very special moment to beat the Crusaders because you don't get them all the time.

"It's an important step for us.

"We want to create a winning culture.

"We've always been after this scalp and we've always had fantastic fixtures against the Crusaders.

"It's important for our young guys ... they need to reflect on and gain belief from what we've done tonight."

Skipper Nathan Sharpe said the team had the belief they could win their remaining three games of the season.

"We are going over with high hopes," Sharpe said.

"They're not finals hopes but they're hopes to win all three games."

The Force trailed the Crusaders 13-0 at half-time but shot to the lead courtesy of tries to Ben Whittaker and Pek Cowan.

A Dan Carter drop goal edged the Crusaders ahead 16-14 with 12 minutes to go but Charles' run, which started deep inside his own 22m and ended just 10m from the try line, allowed Matt Hodgson to cross for the winning points.

"It was a special run by a hooker ... but it's very hard to pick out individuals, that was a terrific team effort," Mitchell said.

The Crusaders started the round on top of the table.

But the loss leaves their finals hopes precariously placed with tough fixtures against the Stormers (away), Bulls (away) and Brumbies (home) to round out the season.

"We've still got an opportunity," Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder said.

"There are some great teams ahead of us and we are excited about that, we've just got to tidy up a couple of key areas in our game and then we'll be back.

"In this competition if you're not quite on your game you get beaten.

"Everyone gets beaten, it happens to all the sides.

"Tonight we didn't play well enough to win.

"But the Stormers and the Bulls, they are two good sides but we are capable of beating those sides.

"It's a really exciting challenge for us, it's not a daunting one by any means."

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/force-a...africa-3487358

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I love coaches who don't acknowledge the opposition, or maybe I DON'T!!!

I am sorry Blackadder but your team may not have played well but I am biased and would like to think the Force took advantage of that point!!

Eat some humble pie ...... I sometimes get the feeling the Saders always expect to win, and if they don't it is their actions and not the other teams hard work that made it all happen!

ADD: admittedly this may have been selective journalism but I am not apologising!

Last edited by unipirate; 24-04-10 at 10:12. Reason: had my rant
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post

Eat some humble pie ...... I sometimes get the feeling the Saders always expect to win, and if they don't it is their actions and not the other teams hard work that made it all happen!
    !
    They have probably earned the right to be confident. But their supporters can be a bit overly so. I overheard a good bit of sledging last night while waiting to congratulate Sharpie.

Some punter to a group of about 8 fast departing blokes in red and black.......

"Hey, where are you lot going in such a hurry?"

"We're going to the finals mate - you wouldn't know about that"

"Not yet, you're not. Your going to Africa."

No come back.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yeah I got the same comment from a gobby Kiwi, and I told him your only as good as your last game, same result, no come back, and another kiwi didnt like it when I spilt me bundy rum on his silly shoes after the second try, oh well, great game great night and the right result, go boys !

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    All the Crusaders fans I bumped into (up in the shed) were in pretty good form - friendly and enjoying the rugby for what it was. I gave TWF stick pins to a few to commemorate the event - one immediately put it on his 'saders cap and said there it'd stay.

vCash
    The Crusaders fan standing next to me was good value. He kept yelling that Kaplan only had one arm to which I pointed out the Crusaders had the arm in the first half and it was our turn

There were plenty around who were not good value though to whom I just put on a really bad Kiwi accent and yelled "Oh Noe Bro" as they were filing out before full time