Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Set for Final Foray!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Set for Final Foray!

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has reshaped his run-on side for a clash against the top of the table Crusaders at ME Bank Stadium on Friday night with Wallaby experienced front rower Pek Cowan and scrumhalf Brett Sheehan returning, however the home side will be without the services of young back James O’Connor who has been ruled out with a shoulder injury.

O’Connor picked up the knock in last Saturday’s loss to the Blues in Auckland and is expected to return within a fortnight. He has been replaced at fullback by experienced utility Mark Bartholomeusz, while Ben Whittaker, Ben McCalman and Nick Cummins are the other changes to the starting XV.

“James has a shoulder injury and it’s about a week (recovery time) but we may manage it for two weeks to give him the right opportunity of repairing it,” Mitchell said.

“He has a long season ahead (with Wallabies duties) and it is important that we manage him properly.”

Clashes between the Force and Crusaders have generally been tight affairs with two of their four matches ending in draws and Mitchell said his side was looking forward to taking up the challenge of the competition leaders and to register a win against the only club they’ve yet to beat in Super 14.

“The Crusaders have been the benchmark of this competition for a long time and we’ve always had pretty exciting contests against them in our history,” Mitchell said.

“We look up to them to a point but like to play well against them.

“If we’re serious about setting a winning culture it is important that this scalp is taken as soon as possible.”

McCalman, in his first season of Super Rugby, has made a significant impact predominantly as a flanker however he has been given an opportunity to play at lock from the reserves bench in the past few weeks and against the Crusaders will partner Captain Nathan Sharpe from the opening whistle.

“His physical style, agility and carry are critical factors,” Mitchell said of McCalman.

“I think he has been huge for us this season especially considering the injuries we’ve had in the back row. He has received an enormous amount of minutes in his first year of Super 14 and has coped mentally and physically really well and progressed his lineout work.

“We’re more than confident that he can handle the second row and bring some huge advantages for us in the area where the game needs to be physical.”

2010 Investec Bank Super 14 – Round 11

Emirates Western Force v Crusaders

Friday, 23 April 2010 at ME Bank Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off: 7.45pm AWST
    Referee: Jonathan Kaplan

Emirates Western Force Squad
    1.Pek Cowan
    2.Ben Whittaker
    3.Tim Fairbrother
    4.Ben McCalman
    5.Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6.Matt Hodgson
    7.David Pocock
    8.Richard Brown

9.Brett Sheehan
    10.David Hill
    11.Cameron Shepherd
    12.Ryan Cross
    13.Mitch Inman
    14.Nick Cummins
    15.Mark Bartholomeusz

Reserves
    16.Nathan Charles (FR)
    17.Matt Dunning (FR)
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Sam Wykes
    20.Justin Turner
    21.Sam Harris
    22.Dane Haylett-Petty

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Could be a strategy of running the heavier Crusader pack off their feet a bit like Reds v Bulls and then bring in the bigger reserve Forwards if we are still in the hunt.
    May be unfortunate to have Kaplan as I feel it will need ultimate discipline to basically eliminate shots on goal to keep us in this.
    Very timely to have the physical Sheehan back on deck but we are going to need a huge match from our three long term Backline favourites this week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Looks like COY made his announcment a little early?

vCash
    Ouch! on form i think its a good option though.

Apprentice
    vCash
    COY showed his professionism, honesty and loyalty to WF in informing them of his retirement, pity the coaches don't possess the same virtues. Noticed they dropped his from the starting 22 this week.His game was solid last week, as usual, and did not warrant him to be dropped. I didn't recall him missing a tackle, distributed the ball well and made a few snipes. Compare this performance to the number of missed tackles by some of the other players in that game. This Fridays game is the last game in front of his home crowd. A little weak, not to have him on the bench I think! Where is the loyalty shown? Guess that gives an possible indication of why the upheavel by the Force players in the past. Maybe some food for thought????

Last edited by faiwah; 21-04-10 at 14:38.

vCash
    to be fair he may have had an OK game but Sheehan is far more Dynamic in attack and a real terror around the sides where the Saders are most dangerous. Added to that Turner has proved in the three games hes played that he can lift the tempo 100%.. Chriso has rarely shown that game changing attitude.

I do feel for him, but im guessing someone had a chat to him before the weekend and showed him the writing was on the wall which is why he opted to end his service with us...
    to come out and say that the Coach & selectors are not professional, loyal or honest by not given him the swansong opportunity, is a bit shortsighted and shallow thinking.. theres more to it than you know.

vCash
    If the coaching staff had chosen COY then this site would have 20 million posts and JM would have been accused of being a sentimental fool - btw COY will look better for the photos in his suit

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah exactly TQ1, all week (or longer) we have been hearing that Turner had earnt a start, or be on the bench for Sheehan if he was back from injury. Just because (and probably the reason for) CO'Y suddenly announces his retirement doesn't change the selection process. Unfortunately such luxuries went the way of the amateur game.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    As much as I am a fan of COY as a clubman and as a very serviceable half, Sheehan was rating top four in player rankings from this forum until his injury - so if fit he had to get a game. And Burgs is exactly right - there has been similar support for the impact Turner has had every time he runs onto the pitch. That spark from Turner has pushed COY to current 3rd placegetter.

I am sure the crowd will give COY the ovation he deserves when he wanders around during our post-match celebrations!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by faiwah View Post
    COY showed his professionism, honesty and loyalty to WF in informing them of his retirement, pity the coaches don't possess the same virtues. Noticed they dropped his from the starting 22 this week.
    That's a pretty rough call!
    His game was solid last week, as usual,
    Yes, solid, but not as menacing as Turner's and not as good as Sheehan has given when fit.
    Compare this performance to the number of missed tackles by some of the other players in that game.
    You can compare him to the entire team if you like, but he's only fighting for a spot with two other players, Sheehan, who has outplayed him at every turn so far and Turner who has shown a supreme talent and deserves to be dropped less than Chrisso
    This Fridays game is the last game in front of his home crowd. A little weak, not to have him on the bench I think! Where is the loyalty shown?
    This is porfessional sport, There's no room for loyalty when the hardest home game of the season is coming up.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks big time that we can't give Crisso the send off he deserves for his efforts, but if he's not the best man for the job, a clubman (as he's widely touted by all sensible members of this site to be) would be devastated to unfairly replace a deserving teammate.

I'm sure he will be farewelled adequately even without wearing the strip!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    There's no room for loyalty when the hardest home game of the season is coming up.
    There's always room for loyalty, but not so much for sentimentality...

vCash
    Yeah, OK you said it better than me......big deal!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Settle down lads. Faiwah has made a few good points - its his/her right to have the opinions, and I reckon that it reflects the thoughts of many a force supporter.

I happen to think that Sheehan and Turner are our best performing halves this season and deserve their place in the 22. But this forum seems more and more about supporting the decisions of the coaching and selection heirarchy, with little room for dissenting voices. We may not all be "legends", "immortal" or "senior players" but isn't this a forum where views can be aired which may be counter establishment?

I guess this also means Spanner is not fit - real shame, given that, though solid, Inman hasn't really shone.

Shep would have been better at 15, with Bart on the wing IMHO.

Hard to see how we can get up without the wizardry of JOC. Still, I live in hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    But this forum seems more and more about supporting the decisions of the coaching and selection heirarchy, with little room for dissenting voices. We may not all be "legends", "immortal" or "senior players" but isn't this a forum where views can be aired which may be counter establishment?
    I was simply expressing my opinion.....sorry if my many posts makes that invalid

To crystallize what I was saying

Chisso is an absolute legend of our club, but not the best scrum half for Friday, winning the game comes first.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am all for expressing diverging opinions which are substantiated by good knowledge of the game. But patronising stuff like

Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    is a bit shortsighted and shallow thinking.. theres more to it than you know.
    just puts me off.

If you know something we don't, tell us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast