Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force's new coach must have Aussie experience

vCash
    One name that surfaced yesterday was former Wallaby defence coach John Muggleton, who is leaving Welsh club Llanelli next month.

They'll be glad to see the back of him, they are on the bottom of the ladder now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Todd's the man for the job.

Gee, thanks tdevil.......I really don't know what to say......

Champion
    vCash
    Lets offer the Melbourne storm coach's a deal and their players...... they maybe looking for a change of scenery

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    Do you really rate Johnson as an 'attack based coach' though? He hasn't been doing too well in Swansea, their attack was what cost them against Biarritz!
    One game a coach maketh not. Does last weekends thumping against the Blues make John Mitchell the worst coach ever?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    One name that surfaced yesterday was former Wallaby defence coach John Muggleton, who is leaving Welsh club Llanelli next month.

They'll be glad to see the back of him, they are on the bottom of the ladder now.
    lets not forget that Stade Francais also sacked Ewen McKenzie for his teams performances..

I think a lot of coaches suffer a 'lost in translation' issue, some coaches which go well in Australia suffer in Europe, likewise some coaches who performed well for Europe teams dont perform so well in Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    One game a coach maketh not.
    That one game (HC match I'm talking about) actually did show you how their full season has been doing in Magners. As an avid Ospreys fan (not as much as the force obviously) I've been watching them and they are lacking in attack. They've got one of the best backrows in the Celtic league and a pretty decent tight five, but much like us they don't have a backline that is working in top gear.

When you consider the players they have in the backs (Phillips, Hook, Williams, Davies, Byrne) it doesn't look very good when they can't mount a decent offense. Most of their wins (besides the one against the Italian side) have been from grinding out tries in the forwards. Have a look at their results; http://www.ospreysrugby.com/rugby/re...d_fixtures.php

I've got nothing against the bloke but I don't think he's an attacking style coach. What we really need is a decent backs coach!

Does last weekends thumping against the Blues make John Mitchell the worst coach ever?
    No, 2003 made him the worst coach ever.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    About 50 minutes of that HC game is all I've seen so I can't really comment on the rest of the season.

You see a lot of teams where the attack just isn't functioning even when there are a lot of star players and I don't think the coach is entirely to blame. Scott Johnson for example did a great job in helping to turn Wales into Grand Slam winners in 2005. Using pretty much the same players as he has at his disposal now. I tend to notice that when you get a lot of star players together in one team they tend to get a bit pedestrian and expect someone else to do the work. I can't remember who it was- probably Wayne- who said maybe one of the things that is working for Queensland is that they don't have Berrick Barnes. The other guys don't expect him to do everything any everyone in the backline from 10-15 puts in more effort. Compare this to the Brumbies and Waratahs have have had a 'star' player come back to join them and their attack is blunt as a basketball. The Waratahs claim they are some kind of great attacking side but they've only racked up big scores against the Lions and the Cheetahs whoop-dee-doo. Against a committed defense (Force/Crusaders) they were pretty poor.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I would like to see the future head coach come in as an assistant coach for the next 12 months and then start taking over as head coach on match days towards the end of the season. This would allow the coach to get to know the players... assess their capabilities, work out what he wants in terms of recruitment for when he starts his tenure and because the players have been working with him for a while they know what to expect when he takes over so the transitional period won't be as hard as some would think.

Let the force go in 2009

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would like to see the future head coach be able to refocus a bunch of players who had been pantsed by the Blues the previous week and dismissed by the rest of their nation so as to come out and beat the competition leaders the following week...

Mitch, you rock

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That might take five years or so Burgs!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2