Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force's new coach must have Aussie experience

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force's new coach must have Aussie experience

Force's new coach must have Aussie experience

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian April 22, 2010, 7:28 am

Getty Images / Paul Kane © Enlarge photo

The Western Force want a new coach with a strong grounding in Australian rugby.
    The Super 14 club is not ruling out another overseas appointment but will demand that the successful candidate has "knowledge of the Australian playing and coaching environment".
    The club launches its search on Saturday for a replacement for former All Black coach John Mitchell, who leaves at the end of next season.
    Someone with experience as a head or team coach in elite rugby will be targeted. That could include experience of Super rugby or an overseas competition.
    Force chief executive Vern Reid has had 10 expressions of interest.
    "There have been a number of name coaches," he said.
    One name that surfaced yesterday was former Wallaby defence coach John Muggleton, who is leaving Welsh club Llanelli next month.
    Muggleton told _The West Australian _: "I would certainly be interested in a job. If something came up there that would be great, even an assistant role. It would be great to come home and get back among Australian players again. There are a few of us over here that would be interested."
    Others who would fit the Australian and elite criteria are Richard Graham, Mitchell's assistant at the Force and also Wallabies skills coach, former Wallaby and Queensland Reds coach John Connolly, Todd Louden, who is coaching Japanese club Meiji, and former Force assistant coach John Mulvihill, in charge of Japan's Mitsubishi Dynaboars.
    The Force have a last chance to beat the Crusaders tomorrow night and complete their Super 14 victory list before Super 15 starts next season. The closest they have come is two 23-23 draws.
    "If we're serious about setting a winning culture, it is important that this scalp is taken as soon as possible," Mitchell said.
    The Crusaders have named a strong side, including All Black stars Dan Carter and Richie McCaw, for the clash at ME Bank Stadium.
    "The front row is a little bit different to what we expected and we didn't expect the experienced locks (Brad Thorn and Chris Jack)," Mitchell said.
    Mitchell has made nine changes, including the withdrawal of James O'Connor with a shoulder injury.
    Mark Bartholomeusz moves from wing to full-back with Nick Cummins starting at No.14. Scrum-half Brett Sheehan returns, ousting Chris O'Young, who announced his retirement this week. Prop Pek Cowan, hooker Ben Whittaker and second-rower Ben McCalman return to the starting side.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ie-experience/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    One name that surfaced yesterday was former Wallaby defence coach John Muggleton, who is leaving Welsh club Llanelli next month.
    Oh no!! Not another Mungo!!

The sky is falling! the sky is falling!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, we've nearly Unionised him now Shasta

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hope they arent looking at Eddie or Connolly.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    David Nuciflora...... stand out creditials Wallaby ass coach super 14 exp. front row mentality,

vCash
    and also Wallabies skills coach, former Wallaby and Queensland Reds coach John Connolly

oh please no. we want to go forward, not backwards!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Mully for Coach!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A person or an activity?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    We'll probably get Henry when Gatland tanks over in NZ.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It'd like to see John Muggleton coach a Super 15 team but I don't know about the Force. During the horrendous Eddie Jones/John Connolly era of 2005-2007 the Wallabies defence was about the only thing that was working well (and he was the only assistant coach not to get sacked). I'd prefer and attack based coach like Louden or Scott Johnson.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Todd's the man for the job.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It'd like to see John Muggleton coach a Super 15 team but I don't know about the Force. During the horrendous Eddie Jones/John Connolly era of 2005-2007 the Wallabies defence was about the only thing that was working well (and he was the only assistant coach not to get sacked). I'd prefer and attack based coach like Louden or Scott Johnson.
    we could get the best of both worlds in the article Muggleton said he would be even interested in a assistant role!!!

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Do you really rate Johnson as an 'attack based coach' though? He hasn't been doing too well in Swansea, their attack was what cost them against Biarritz!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Todd's the man for the job.
    With Louden you get two for the price of one. A first class coach in terms of achieving competitive results plus the best development coach in the business.

And that's exactly what you blokes in WA need. You have a lot of young talent plus the need to really start growing your own.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    the need to really start growing your own.
    We are up to 4 home grown Force players now - Longbottom, Tyrell, Haylett Petty and Turner. Which is a decent start considering where WA started from. There is a little bit of green germinating in our rugby desert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast