Thread: Sea of Blue keeps the faith

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sea of Blue keeps the faith

Sea of Blue keeps the faith

IN the space of a few hours yesterday, when James O'Connor was ruled out for the Western Force and Dan Carter ruled in for the Crusaders, what had shaped as a mismatch in Perth tomorrow night suddenly took on the appearance of a foregone conclusion.

Not, however, in the eyes of passionate Force supporters -- the so-called Sea of Blue -- who are expected to flood Members Equity Stadium in such numbers that Rugby WA chief executive Vern Reid is predicting a king tide, the first sell-out at the club's new 20,500-capacity home ground.
    If so, this could become the highest-drawing round in the history of Super rugby in Australia, with tomorrow's other match, the Reds-Stormers tipped to attract more than 30,000 and Saturday's Waratahs-Brumbies derby on target for a 35,000-plus crowd.
    It is more than blind optimism driving the Perth ticket sales. In the same way that the Brumbies have the wood on Queensland and the Reds keep sneaking wins at the expense of the Bulls, so the Force usually punches well above its weight against seven-time champions the Crusaders, scoring a win and two unlucky draws against them in four meetings.

But if the Force is to claim a second major scalp this season to add to the Stormers, it will need to summon up more than history.
    The Crusaders, stopping over in Perth on their way to a difficult tour of South Africa, will be arrayed in all their might, with not only Carter returning but also fellow All Blacks Brad Thorn, Kieran Read, Zac Guildford and Owen Franks. Losing O'Connor to a shoulder injury was a blow the luckless Force did not deserve but overall their team looks stronger for the inclusion of halfback Brett Sheehan, fellow Wallaby Pek Cowan, hooker Ben Whittaker, winger Nick Cummins and lock Ben McCalman.
    At the height of Perth's injury crisis two months ago, McCalman provided valuable service as a flanker but he now returns to the starting side intriguingly as Nathan Sharpe's second-row partner.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225856612686

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    ... so the Force usually punches well above its weight against seven-time champions the Crusaders, scoring a win and two unlucky draws against them in four meetings.
    I don't recall us ever beating the Crusaders. To my knowledge, 2 draws (both 23-all) and 2 wins to Crusaders.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    they are the one team we are yet to defeat

vCash
    Shock headline - Wayne Smith spouts rubbish

vCash
    Much as it's a nice thought that there will suddenly be extra Force fans coming out of the woodwork, I think the sell out will be due to the Sea of Blue being mixed somewhat with red and black

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Rugby WA chief executive Vern Reid is predicting a king tide, the first sell-out at the club's new 20,500-capacity home ground.
    If so, this could become the highest-drawing round in the history of Super rugby in Australia, with tomorrow's other match, the Reds-Stormers tipped to attract more than 30,000 and Saturday's Waratahs-Brumbies derby on target for a 35,000-plus crowd.
    Gotta be chuffed with that

vCash
    I agree with WF1964. The Crusdaers and the rest of the Kiwi sides have quite a large following here in Australia.
    I know many Kiwi's who haven't been to a game all year who are going this week.

Of course the Reds are going to draw a crowd, everyone loves a good bandwagon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Of course the Reds are going to draw a crowd, everyone loves a good bandwagon.
    There'll be some frustration among the bandwagoners when the Force are in a similar situation - our wagon is chock-a-block.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Idiot. Don't let facts get in the way of a crap article...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    hopefully all the corporates will turn up..... The main stand always looks half empty...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    hopefully all the corporates will turn up..... The main stand always looks half empty...
    Maybe they could issue "stand by" tickets for the people who are gonna be turned away at the gates.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    reckon Deans has told JM to go easy on JOC as the international season warms up, unless JM reckons we have more chance of beating the three SA teams than the Crusaders We will win 2/3 of these games I feel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    unless JM reckons we have more chance of beating the three SA teams than the Crusaders We will win 2/3 of these games I feel
    I'd say we have a more then even money chance against the Cheetahs and the Lions who have been disgraceful all year. I would rate our chances well against the Sharks as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'd say we have a more then even money chance against the Cheetahs and the Lions who have been disgraceful all year. I would rate our chances well against the Sharks as well
    So........four wins on the trot then?