Thread: Blackadder changes nine in Crusaders lineup

Champion
    vCash

Blackadder changes nine in Crusaders lineup

Blackadder changes nine in Crusaders lineup MARC HINTON
    April 21, 2010 - 9:13AM

Fit again . . . Dan Carter about to get tackled by George Whitelock. Photo: Ian McGregor/ThePress
    Todd Blackadder has predictably rung the changes in his Crusaders team to face the Western Force in Perth on Friday night, but it's perhaps one he didn't make that is the most significant as the seven-time champions prepare for their playoff push.

Blackadder has left the All Blacks captain Richie McCaw on his preferred openside flank for a second straight match, after the world's best No 7 had spent the bulk of the campaign previously at No 6 operating in a sort of dual-fetcher role with George Whitelock.

McCaw admitted he may have been "sub-consciously" boosted by his return there in last week's 45-6 romp over the Cheetahs, though is adamant that he doesn't mind which flank he plays on.

But Blackadder's selection this week is surely a pointer that McCaw is set for an extended run in the position not only where he operates best, but where he is most comfortable.

The other features of a lineup featuring nine changes all told sees Dan Carter return from injury and Kahn Fotuali'i retain the halfback jersey ahead of Andy Ellis as Blackadder continues to use the depth in his squad on the first leg of their three-game road swing.

There are four changes in the pack and another five in the backline, with Blackadder clearly conscious of keeping one or two bodies fresh for the next fortnight when they will visit the Stormers and Bulls in fixtures that will have a major bearing on the makeup of the top four.

Blackadder has remade his back three with Sean Maitland moving to fullback, Adam Whitelock coming in on the right wing and Zac Guildford returning to his customary No 11 jersey. Colin Slade drops to the bench to provide cover.

Robbie Fruean also returns at centre, Daniel Carter is back after hip problems ruled him out against the Cheetahs and in the most notable selection of all, Fotuali'i retains the No 9 jersey despite Ellis being fit again after concussion problems.

Blackadder said that came down to a decision based purely and simply on form after the Tasman halfback made the most of his chances in Ellis' absence.

"He's been on fire," Blackadder told The Press.

"We reward those guys that do play well and you see them coming into the starting lineup when they do play well, and Kahn is one of them. That is taking nothing away from Andy whatsoever but we have got a guy in red-hot form and we are going to reward him for that." Up front Blackadder has given Thomas Waldrom another chance at No 8 after a strong outing against the Cheetahs, meaning George Whitelock drops to the bench to allow Kieran Read to slot back in on the blindside flank.

The All Blacks captain gets another start at openside after admitting he may have been "sub-consciously" boosted by his return there against the Cheetahs after playing most of the season at No 6. McCaw is adamant that he doesn't mind which flank he plays on, but Blackadder's selection this week is a pointer that the best No 7 in the world is set for an extended run where he operates best.

Veteran Brad Thorn also returns to the second row where he'll partner Chris Jack, with Sam Whitelock dropping to the bench, while it's another Franks brothers affair in the front row, with Owen back on the tighthead side and Ben moving across to take Wyatt Crockett's No 1 jersey.

McCaw told Radio Sport today that the big focus this week was on better ball-security.

"Last week we turned over a bit of ball, and if you do that against teams like the Bulls and Stormers, and even the Force, they've got the ability to capitalise on it. That's one area we need to tidy up.

"But there are things that are going well," he added. "The scrum's been ticking along not too bad and we've been creating some turnovers and using the ball.

"Parts of our game are pretty good and if we can perhaps hold on to the ball a bit more and build a bit more pressure…"

McCaw admitted the Crusaders had yet to put together the "complete" performance this year but hinted that the team was steeled for a definitive next three rounds.

"The next three weeks away will determine whether we're there at the end. The reality is this is the part of the season when you've got to be performing if you want to have a shot at the end of May. We're pretty happy to be where we are, and we're soon going to be playing two other teams at the top as well. It makes for some fairly interesting footy."

It does that. But first things first. There is the Force to take care of before thoughts can turn to the South African heavyweights. The match kicks off at 9.45pm (AEST) on Friday night.

CRUSADERS: 15 Sean Maitland, 14 Adam Whitelock, 13 Robert Fruean, 12 Ryan Criotty, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i; 8 Thomas Waldrom, 7 Richie McCaw (captain), 6 Kieran Read, 5 Chris Jack, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Ti'i Paulo, 1 Ben Franks. Reserves: 16 Daniel Perrin, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Sam Whitelock, 19 George Whitelock, 20 Andy Ellis, 21 Daniel Bowden, 22 Colin Slade.

www. rugbyheaven.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's a strong team, especially the pack!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's basically a test pack. Short of Ti'i Paulo and Thomas Waldrom and those two certainly don't let the side down.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Paulo's been on fire lately and Waldrom is arguably NZ's most underrated player (definitely in the forwards)

The piggies will have their work cut out this week.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, was going to say the same James. The Backline is Super 14 standard though so that is where we probably should be looking.
    This is going to be the test of the year for the boys, make no mistake.
    I believe that we can still cause the upset though will need us at 100% and the Saders thinking to the Republic.
    The one thing that we do have on our side is a knowledge of the close calls in the past and no fear of the perennial ladder leaders.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I have a feeling since we lost quite badly to the Blues we'll perform a lot better against the Crusaders. Likewise had we beat the Blues we'd have been demolished by the Crusaders. Sports psychology.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Front row is where we need to be strong in this time..... whos the ref.........

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    JK I think?

Yes John Kaplan it is.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Cross better keep onside and stop being lazy out of tackles or he will be punished!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Cross better keep onside and stop being lazy out of tackles or he will be punished!
    Exactly..... watch him he tackles and lays around meanders back there is no urgency in his game......... DROP HIM send him to the rebels I say......

vCash
    "Waldrom is arguably NZ's most underrated player (definitely in the forwards)"

Always been a fan of Thomas the tank engine. Gets through a hell of a lot of work and has been greatly ignored.
    Damn strong Crusaders team that. Lookout!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post

Always been a fan of Thomas the tank engine. Gets through a hell of a lot of work and has been greatly ignored.
    Ditto. He must be fed up. Off to Leicester for some Bucks. The 'Saders (and Hawkes Bay) will miss him.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    "Waldrom is arguably NZ's most underrated player (definitely in the forwards)"

Damn strong Crusaders team that. Lookout!
    always a great pick up for fantasy rugby teams.......cheap points!

C'mon the