Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force aim to end home campaign with win

vCash

Force aim to end home campaign with win

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0418-sm8i.html

Force aim to end home campaign with win ADRIAN WARREN
    April 18, 2010 - 3:19PM

AAP

Struggling Western Force are looking forward to the challenge of toppling the Super 14 ladder-leading Crusaders and assisting the finals aspirations of their Australian rivals.

Next Friday's fixture will be the final home game of a disappointing, injury-riddled campaign for the Force, who will be looking for just their third win of the year and their first ever victory over the Crusaders.

Saturday's 38-17 loss to the Blues in Auckland ended a mini-revival by John Mitchell's side which had delivered successive wins over the Stormers and Highlanders.

And although the Force have never tasted victory over the seven-time champions, they have drawn twice with the New Zealanders and were only edged out 29-24 in 2008.

The Crusaders have a tough run home, which could yet see them overhauled by at least one of the three Australian teams vying for semi-final spots.

After taking on the Force, the Crusaders face daunting away games against the Stormers and Bulls, who are running third and second respectively, before finishing off at home to the Brumbies.

Fourth-placed Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs, who sit in fifth and the Brumbies in sixth, would all benefit if the Force could upset the Crusaders.

"We'll regroup and get excited, it's our last home game and we'll look forward to it," said Mitchell.

After finishing eighth the last two seasons and seventh the year before, the Force now seem certain to record their lowest ladder position since they came last in their inaugural season in 2006.

The Perth-based side enjoyed over 60 per cent of territory against the Blues, but didn't score their two tries until the last three minutes.

Compounding their lack of penetration in attack was some sloppy defence and a series of scrum penalties.

"If we want to be serious contenders at this level we've got to deal with situations like tonight and draw strength from situations when you don't convert early," Mitchell said.

Force captain and lock Nathan Sharpe said there was plenty of spirit in the team and it was capable of playing a lot better.

"We'll rally, we'll play the Crusaders next week at home and we're looking forward to that," Sharpe said.

Five-eighth David Hill was also adamant the Force have plenty of scope for improvement, particularly once their heavy injury toll declines.

"Once we get a settled team and a settled squad and guys are injury free, then the potential is definitely there," Hill said.

"I think we can see that, it's just a matter of a bit of patience and a bit of time."

Prop Matt Dunning (ankle) and centre Ryan Cross (diaphragm) were the only casualties to come out of Saturday's match.

Following the Crusaders game the Force finish their campaign in South Africa, where they will play the three lowest ranked teams from that country.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

I think the Force matchup a lot better against the crusaders then against the blues and chiefs, thus why im pretty optimistic of a win or at least make the saders work hard for a victory.

With most guys back from injury for the tour of south africa im pretty confident we can at least get 3/4 wins in the run to the season end.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Would like to see a few changers if they are to get a look in..... Cummmins has to start........ as does Turner (if Sheehan still out) Like to see Dunning start as he has something to prove....... Spaaner on the bench if fit... out Batho and Harris these two really are not up to S14 standard

It is a pity its going to be wet for Friday.

Last edited by BDAVEY; 18-04-10 at 21:05.

Senior Player
    vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Like to see Dunning start as he has something to prove........

You have got to be kidding. He's already proved there are stronger scrummagers in the squad than he.

vCash
    What BeeJay Said

Player
    vCash
    Cummins to start, Turner to start, Cowen to start AT PROP, Dunning can have the bench as he covers 1 and 3, Harris to carry drinks,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Dunning start as he has something to prove.......
    The only thing Dunning has proved is that his multiple comments on TV about how much he enjoys living 5 mins walk from the Subiaco Hotel were not meant as a joke.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bet he gets a taxi though...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd like Longbottom to make an appearance sometime this season...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Rookie
    vCash
    For the game against the Crusaders I'd pick Pek Cowan to start at loose head and Whittaker to start at hooker with Charles and Henderson on the bench.
    I'd pick Ben McCalman to start at lock and put Hockings on the bench. The reason I'm putting Hockings and Henderson on the bench is they don't move laterally very well and there are always gaps in the defence near them. I think unfortunately Dunning needs a week or two break.
    In the halves if Sheehan is fit I'd pick him to start and pick Turner to be on the bench but if they choose to start Turner and have Sheehan on the bench I'd be happy with that to.
    I'd pick Sam Harris at 12 and Ryan Cross at 13. Inman has had alot of opportunites this year and hasn't done much. He tries hard but he doesn't offer much. I think moving Cross back to 13 and giving Sam Harris a run at 12 would be a good option.
    On the wings I'd pick Cummins in place of Bart but I do have to mention how poor Shepherd was against the Blues. His failure to put his body on the line was very eye catching. Another performance like that from Shepherd and I'll be looking for Staniforth.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjk View Post
    For the game against the Crusaders I'd pick Pek Cowan to start at loose head and Whittaker to start at hooker with Charles and Henderson on the bench.
    I'd pick Ben McCalman to start at lock and put Hockings on the bench. The reason I'm putting Hockings and Henderson on the bench is they don't move laterally very well and there are always gaps in the defence near them. I think unfortunately Dunning needs a week or two break.
    In the halves if Sheehan is fit I'd pick him to start and pick Turner to be on the bench but if they choose to start Turner and have Sheehan on the bench I'd be happy with that to.
    I'd pick Sam Harris at 12 and Ryan Cross at 13. Inman has had alot of opportunites this year and hasn't done much. He tries hard but he doesn't offer much. I think moving Cross back to 13 and giving Sam Harris a run at 12 would be a good option.
    On the wings I'd pick Cummins in place of Bart but I do have to mention how poor Shepherd was against the Blues. His failure to put his body on the line was very eye catching. Another performance like that from Shepherd and I'll be looking for Staniforth.
    And we'll get beaten by more then we did in 2007

Which was to quote my mates Old Dad in Christchurch was "50 something to Nil, and you were damn lucky to get nil"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    This week I feel Sheps may go back to 15 and JOC into 12 to open some gaps for Inman to show his force Spanner and Cummins on the wings.... there is no room for Crossy in my 15

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I'd like Longbottom to make an appearance sometime this season...
    I reckon that'll be what Africa will be for. The last home game we've gotta put our best team in the paddock but as soon as thats done and dusted he should get a couple of starts- especially against the Cheetahs and Lions. I hope they give Stefano Hunt a run against those two also.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hope that Harris doesn't get on the plane.
    Sorry, I'm not normally that negative about our own but he has had enough second chances.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I hope that Harris doesn't get on the plane.
    Sorry, I'm not normally that negative about our own but he has had enough second chances.
    Gee i am glad I am not the only one...... i know of club players more skilful than this guy where did he come from ???

Mark Batho also sorry but its a NO for 2011

Inman: Yeh I would liek to see him with JOC inside a 12 that opens gaps....! Crossy is not a 12... or 13 or 14 or 11

Rookie
    vCash
    Apart from not knowing James O'Connor was injured and out of the match I picked most of the changes!!
    When commenting on changes it would be wise to make changes for the best of the team not just because they are your favourite players.
    You guys bag Sam Harris for some reason. Apart from his kicking in the Brumbies game I think he has done quite well. Everytime he has come on he has made an impact through his running or defence. Both Justin Turner and Sam Harris are making an impact when they get on.
    BDavey you said the exact same thing in 2 posts in this forum alone, its quite obvious Mitch Inman is a favourie player of yours and your backing of him is cool but unfortunately Inman doesn't offer that much, actually when the Super 14 season is over he will probably be playing reserve grade for Sydney Uni with Halangahu at 10, Barnes at 12 and Tom Carter at 13 and Alfi Mafi and Peter Betham on the wings.
    Another thing I don't understand is this thing with Stefano Hunt, noone has seen him play but alot of people are saying he should be in the team, should he play a season or 2 of grade footy before they consider him?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast