Godman has been with Edinburgh since 2004

Scotland fly-half Phil Godman has agreed a new two-year contract extension with Edinburgh.

The 27-year-old has amassed 355 points in 130 appearances since joining Edinburgh from Newcastle six years ago.

"I'm delighted to be staying and I'm really excited about what we can achieve," he said.

"I'm proud to play for Edinburgh - it means a lot to me. But the main reason I wanted to stay is because I'm ambitious and I want to win trophies."

Godman, who lost his place in the Scotland side to Dan Parks during the Six Nations, added: "The last couple of seasons have been good - both for me personally and for Edinburgh - and one of our goals this season is to win the Magners League.

"That is something we still have a very good chance of achieving with three games in the regular season remaining and the play-offs coming up.

"I believe over the next two seasons we can continue to progress and make an impact in Europe and the Magners League.

"It has been good to have played such a big role for Edinburgh and that has led to me getting the opportunity to represent Scotland.

"I believe there is still a lot more to come from me and from the team. My best years are ahead of me and I'm looking forward to be able to show that in the future."

Godman is the ninth player to extend his stay at Edinburgh since the turn of the year.