Thread: Baby steps as Shep plots blazing return

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Baby steps as Shep plots blazing return

Baby steps as Shep plots blazing return
    By Justin Chadwick
    17:26 AEST Tue Apr 13 2010

Cameron Shepherd is concentrating on regaining form for the Western Force as he mulls his future.

A fit again Cameron Shepherd has put any thoughts of a Wallabies return on ice for the time being as he concentrates on regaining peak form for the Western Force.
    And the talented 26-year-old has given the biggest indication yet he wants to remain with the Force beyond this Super 14 season, stating "it will take a lot to get me out of Perth".
    Shepherd missed the first eight rounds of 2010 after tearing his quad during the warm-up of the Force's season-opening clash with the Brumbies.
    But the utility back made up for lost time in last week's 41-27 win over the Highlanders, scoring a brace of tries in his comeback game.
    And while Shepherd is desperate to return to the national set-up with the 2011 World Cup fast approaching, he said regaining form and fitness with the Force was his first priority.
    "I think for anyone playing Australian rugby their goal is to play for the Wallabies but it's not what I'm focusing on at the moment," Shepherd told AAP.
    "When I get back to my best and I feel like I'm playing good rugby hopefully that all falls into place and I get picked.
    "But I won't be using that as the major motivation.
    "I just want to play well at the moment.
    "There's no secret I want to play fullback for the Wallabies ... that is what I want to do, that's why I'm playing Australian rugby.
    "But I'm not making that the be all and end all at the moment.
    "The process of getting there is where I have to put in the hard work and that's what I'll concentrate on."
    Shepherd has endured one setback after another since breaking his leg and fracturing his ankle in the dying minutes of a win against France in July, 2008.
    "The last two years for me has been pretty tough," Shepherd said.
    "I've had to go through a lot of things personally. Just mentally it rocked me a lot.
    "I'm a professional footballer and I've played nine games in two years - it's not a stat that anyone would be very happy with.
    "I think I've just been unlucky.
    "My broken leg and dislocated ankle was a lot worse than we originally thought.
    "We made a couple of mistakes in rehab that forced me to have another couple of surgeries but that's life, sometimes these things happen.
    "Tearing the quad was just a total freak accident.
    "So to be back playing and doing what I love is the main thing and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders."
    Shepherd, who is reportedly in the sights of the Melbourne Rebels, said he was yet to decide on his future.
    "It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately," he said ahead of Saturday's clash with the Blues in Auckland.
    "I'll get this New Zealand trip over and done with, get back to Perth, sit down with my management and have a proper chat about it.
    "There's definitely some options there for me as far as career outside football goes but it will take a lot to get me out of Perth."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1039212

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    "There's definitely some options there for me as far as career outside football goes but it will take a lot to get me out of Perth."
    It's hard not to like Shep.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's hard not to like Shep.
    Now - just so I have it clear in my mind James - are you expressing a fondness for Shep or Perth? As in "It's hard not to like (that great bloke) Shep" or "It(Perth)'s hard not to like, Shep" - or is it indeed one of those really clever double entendre type comments?

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    While both statements are equally true, I mean that it's hard not to like that great bloke Shep the person.

Otherwise it would be: It's hard not to like, Shep.

vCash
    Cameron does seem the loyal type.. and i guess he might have to given his injury issues as many clubs would start questioning his effectiveness and value if he only plays 9 games in 3 years...

That being said he has been valuable when he has played and he is one of my three favorite Force players alongside Spanner and Cullet.. I hope he gets a call up but he has an uphill battle given the depth in playing stocks this year.

vCash
    Echoing James comments - he is up front about the fact that he would be a complete idiot not to look at his options and he is far from being an idiot.

Hope he stays, hasn't had the easiest of runs but when he has been able to play he certainly has had a very positive impact - suspect that his calm nature has also helped us of the field as well - a fantastic Rugby ambassador for us here in Perth.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I get the impression that the only thing that could keep him from staying here is if the Force offer him a lousy contract for next year (on the basis of injuries). There aren't too many outside backs with the allround class of Shepherd going about and injured or not he is well worth every cent you pay him.

vCash
    Yeah I reckon Shep is the Classiest outside back in Oz at the moment, if he can keep fit, he's a shoo in for the 15.

The door has been left open for Melbourne to offer a lot, but I think it'll be easy for RugbyWA to make a matching offer. It's really up to whether RugbyWA think the injury toll is telling. Their medical staff will be the best people in the country to answer that question, so I'm happy to let them make the offer. They'd be insane to cut him loose if they're comfortable that he can remain fit!

C'mon the

vCash
    Melbourne has also signed Cipriani to play fullback if I recall correctly, and since Shep is gunning for the Wallabies fullback position, the Force is probably his best option in Oz

vCash
    Well, I see the 15 at the Reds as pretty open. Hynes is doing a fair job, but is a much better winger than fullback. Even the Tahs are pretty thin, with Beale getting the nod more often than not.....surely there's some plan for Beale to be worked back to the inside in the future. Brumbies seem to be settled there, but you never know who they're planning to buy and warehouse!

I would expect all other teams to be second in Shep's thinking though, he's attained cult status over here, is building a profitable life after rugby and has plenty of room to showcase his talents.....why would you leave.........unless the Force offer an insulting contract and the Brumbies spend big again......Oh waint, no danger of that, they already have the incumbent Wallaby fullback, maybe they should go out and buy Genia and Cooper instead!

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Shep is a legend and appears to be an all round nice guy. I personally think he is better on the wing - he is a genuine finisher who seems to be free a lot of the time

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash

He has a girlfriend..can we set up a meeting with her, to ensure Shep does stay?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post

He has a girlfriend..can we set up a meeting with her, to ensure Shep does stay?
    ... it's not Bianca Franklin's sister is it?