Thread: Justin Turner inspires Western Force to win over Highlanders

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Justin Turner inspires Western Force to win over Highlanders

ACADEMY graduate Justin Turner was living his Super 14 dream last night after a supersub cameo that inspired the Emirates Western Force to a 41-27 victory over the Highlanders in Queenstown, their best win of the season.

On a perfect day for rugby. the Force had several excuses to celebrate with try-scoring ace Cameron Shepherd returning from a 10-week injury to score the opening try of the game, then icing the cake with his second and the Force's sixth try sealing a comfortable win over the Kiwis late in the game.

Besides banking the maximum five points for only its second win of the season, and in the process registering its first away win, the Force almost doubled its season's try tally.

But for Turner, who only turned 20 a fortnight ago and made his Super 14 debut as a substitute in last Friday's win over the Stormers, this was a Cinderella script.

In tandem with Stefano Hunt, 19, who replaced Mitch Inman at outside centre, the scrumhalf came on with 15 minutes to play while the Highlanders were leading 19-15 and the game hanging in the balance.

Turner's crisp passing immediately struck a chord in the Force backline until he teed up the pirouetting Ryan Cross on a powerful trajectory for the centre to score his second try and give the Force a two-point lead after James O'Connor had converted.

This was the cue for the Perth side to unleash their best rugby of the season.Hunt then sliced through the Highlander's backs with the irresistible David Pocock in tow. The flying flanker looked for the right option and launched Turner over for his first Super 14 try.

There was no stopping the Force, who sealed sweet success when David Hill broke the line and Shepherd came in on the angle to score his second try.

Still pinching himself to make sure he wasn't about to fall out of bed, the South-African-born Turner said of the Super 14 experience: "Unreal. This is so good and exciting. I couldn't have screamed louder for David Pocock to pop the ball to me."
    He said that while sitting on the bench Harris, who has played a few more games, had advised him to play to his strengths.

"I just wanted to give good service to David Hill at 10 and work my way into the game. Sam said just stick to the game plan and the rest would come from there. In the end we ran away with the game," said Turner.

Yet to experience defeat in a Super 14 game, he added: "I hope we keep riding this wave and get as many win as we can from here."

Earlier, the Force had Pocock to thank for a sensational tackle on powerhouse wing Fetuu Vainikolo that forced the ball out of the winger's hands and denied the Highlanders a certain try.

Highlanders' first five-eighth Matthew Berquists boot kept home side's nose in front as O'Connor kicked hot and cold.

The Force scrummed magnificently, but twice allowed the Highlanders back into the game by not controlling the ball at the kick-off after scoring and then gifting points to the New Zealand side.

In a game punctuated by ill-discipline, props Clint Newland and Pek Cowan were both yellow carded for throwing punches and then sat one metre apart in the sin bin.

Highlanders halfback Jimmy Cowan was also given 10 minutes in the dog box for a series of professional fouls

"It's good to be back playing attacking football and everyone contributing," Force coach John Mitchell said. "Getting some of our experienced players back is certainly making a big difference

"It's probably the second week in a row we've been able to use the bench effectively, whereas previously we've had kids on the bench."

The Force has now won two games on the trot since opening its season with six straight losses and faces the Blues in Auckland next Saturday.

"We've got confidence in our defence and we've got confidence in the shape of our attack, it's just a matter of us keeping ball for larger periods," Mitchell said.

"There's still a little bit left in this team in terms of getting better."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/jus...-1225852211639

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What a game Turner had, hopefully this has no silenced the non believers from last week. Well done JT

vCash
    man i am hanging out to watch the game on thursday when i get home!
    the pubs here dont have foxtel...

vCash
    you won't be disappointed

C'mon the

vCash
    hi

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

his good

Champion
    vCash
    So aganist the Crasaders Sheehan will be fit what halves do the Force go with....... I would say Sheehan and O Young but it may be Turner and Sheehan Sheehan will be great sub at the 60 minute mark to take some load off Hodsie and co. We need to keep Turner here in the West
    Comments?

vCash
    Yea it will be hard to decision to make I will go with O Young and Turner and bring Sheehan back after that for the next round

vCash
    If Sheehan's fit, I reckon he should start every game.....Turner at 60 would be such a different proposition that it'd work any time!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    The team to SA will be interesting.... there will be a few good players left here for club rugby I think..... Stanford... tough on him, also OY or Turner as well

This week I think Mark Bath. will make way for Cummins Bath to the bench in place of Harris - tough call

vCash
    Tough call indeed, BD , but I 'd rather have Harry cooling his heels on the bench, coming on with 20 to go and going on his merry way crashing and bashing his way through...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Tough call indeed, BD , but I 'd rather have Harry cooling his heels on the bench, coming on with 20 to go and going on his merry way crashing and bashing his way through...
    I'd flick Sare from the bench and keep both Barty and Harry. They're both more versatile, more aggressive and faster!

C'mon the