Thread: Freier joins Rebels

Champion
    vCash

Freier joins Rebels

The Melbourne Rebels have added former Wallabies hooker Adam Freier to their playing roster for next year's entry to the expanded Super 15 rugby competition.

The Rebels announced Freier's signing on Tuesday, with the 30-year-old deciding to move on after nine seasons with the NSW Waratahs.

"The Rebels have demonstrated great faith in my ability, on and off the field, and that was a massive factor in my decision," Freier said after also recommitting to Australian Rugby Union for another two years.

"I will be repaying that faith by regaining my Wallaby jumper in their colours, something I have a burning passion for.

"I will continue to give my all to the Waratahs, who have supported me well over the last nine years, especially the last 12 months."

Freier, who began his Super career at the Brumbies, said Rebels coach Rod Macqueen was a big factor in determining his future.

"It was no accident that Rod formed a great culture at the Brumbies," he said.

"I was one of the young players that benefited from that culture. To now have the opportunity to help build one, with Rod - well that's something any player would love to be a part of.

"It's important to get it right off the field before you can advance on it.

"I am genuinely excited by the roster the Rebels are putting together and I look forward to exciting times in 2011."

Freier, who has played 99 games for NSW - many as captain of the Waratahs - plus 25 Tests for Australia, joins former Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock as one of the Rebels' major signings.

"Adam is one of the most respected players in Australian rugby," Macqueen said.

"He is very highly regarded by his peers. During our discussions with him, we were particularly impressed by his commitment to ensuring the Melbourne Rebels are successful."
    Freier, who has yet to play a game this year due to off-season back surgery, is also the current president of the Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...hooker-freier/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 06-04-10 at 17:27.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Freier: I approached Melbourne

SMH April 18, 2010

Mutual respect, a coach he admires, the challenge of new team … a move to the Rebels makes sense, the veteran hooker tells Josh Rakic.

Q
    Why did you choose Melbourne over the Waratahs?

A
    While I love the Waratahs and would have loved to have finished my career there, they're pretty well stocked for hookers with Tatafu Polota-Nau and Damien Fitzpatrick. I genuinely want the Waratahs to be successful this year and beyond. Making this decision early has intensified my passion for my teammates, (WTF!) and desire for success in 2010. But at a point in your career you have a lifestyle road, a financial road and a rugby road. There were better financial offers. But there was the rare challenge of being part of a new franchise. It ticked all those three previous boxes.

Q
    You had a horrible run of injuries last season culminating in off-season back surgery. What role did that play in your decision?

A
    It was a big part, too. Melbourne were still showing faith in me while I was still injured and that meant a lot. Other states were keen to see me play prior to signing me, which is fine. But I really appreciated the support from Melbourne. I felt like a priority.

Q
    Melbourne have signed only 12 players so far. Can you see the side being at all competitive given the ageing roster and relative no-names that make up the rest?

A
    I am confident we will get a good side together. And I know that. When meeting with Rod Macqueen I never even asked him who he planned on signing. Everyone looks at the situation the Rebels are in and compares it to the Western Force a few years ago. The Force put a rock-star team together, no dramas, and did it with Monopoly money. Everyone's comparing the squad that they put together and saying Melbourne is going to struggle. It won't.

Q
    Can Rod Macqueen cut it as a Super 15 coach after a decade out of the game? There have been plenty of rumours suggesting he's struggling with the workload and adaptation to the modern game.

A
    Who wouldn't? I have trouble running a scrum meeting, so I imagine putting together a new team would be very stressful. His genuine self-belief in what he is creating - he sold me in one phone call. It's coming together a lot better than people think. They've thrown me a lifeline - so they're taking a risk. I think they also see the value in older players.

Q
    Can rugby union be successful in AFL-dominated Melbourne?

A
    They genuinely love their sport down there. The acceptance in Sydney for sport and expectance of success is a lot higher than that of Melbourne - where Sydney might stop watching when the Waratahs are struggling, Melbourne will back us.

Q
    When did Melbourne first approach you?

A
    As soon as Melbourne came through, I wrote them a letter. I always was going to give NSW every chance and I did and we parted on great terms. I don't think Rod had even been announced as coach. I spoke to the Force, too, and I said I'd be keen because I think success is so close for them. I genuinely wanted to be coached by John Mitchell. I think he's inspirational and I didn't want to go to an unknown at this stage of my career.
    Q
    Why do you believe a team of players who even the chief executive admits are past their best and relative unknowns can be a success?

A
    You go through the Melbourne Storm's first team and Robbie Kearns was just under 30, Glenn Lazarus was 32, Paul Marquet was in his 30s, Tawera Nikau was around the 30-mark and Stephen Kearney was there, too. And that would have been their core leadership group and look what happened to them - finals first year and won it the second year.

Q
    Were you worried your ARU contract might not be renewed considering your age, injury history and the emergence of Polota-Nau?

A
    I do think there is a massive youth push in Australian rugby and it's working. The youth will boom and come back to the field.

Q
    How is the body?

A
    The back's fixed and it sorted out the leg problems, too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    If you want to save the reading

"I could see I wasn't going to get a game with the Tahs and there was good money on offer in Melbourne"

and "The coach is somebody I respect and he might give me a run"

C'mon the