Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New home puts Force on firmer footing

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

New home puts Force on firmer footing

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian April 5, 2010, 7:41 am

The Western Force lost almost $730,000 last year - but that was $2 million less than the horror loss forecast in the budget.

And with this season's move from Subiaco Oval to ME Bank Stadium, the club expects to return an operating profit for the first time since its foundation.

Geoff Stooke, chairman of RugbyWA, the Force umbrella body, said he expected a $100,000 profit this year but warned that unless there were improvements to the stadium, profits were unlikely to increase.

A season's rent for ME Bank Stadium is about half the $1.4m the Force handed over every year at Subiaco Oval.

The Force, which has almost 17,000 season ticket holders, does not make as much on the considerably reduced corporate facilities at ME Bank, but Stooke said: "ME Bank is not ideal but outweighs Subiaco financially."

The State Government has plans to upgrade the stadium to a 25,000-seat facility but still has to agree to a lease fee with the Town of Vincent. The club's income was down almost $3m last year to just under $17.5m and the cash reserve at the end of 2009 was just under $6m.

Force chief executive Vern Reid said: "This time last year we had budgeted for a $2.7 million loss. That was unacceptable."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Hallelujah!

There's also a little extra satisfaction in knowing that the WAFC can no longer gloat about spending a proportion of our membership fees on junior AFL development.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I just the love the loyalty of our fans....How good has the crowd been for every match...imagine if we were winning more often..they wouldn't get everyone in!!!!

vCash
    I understand why Vern is talking about the requirements for upgrade, but I reckon winning rugby matches will increase the profit margin!

Don't get me wrong, MES is still a bit of a sow's ear, but the proximity and the view are what will bring bodies in.

I personally don't think much will be done until it's chock-a-block every match. We've done our job in getting the move to a proper rectangular stadium, it's now up to the Force and Rugby WA to use it to buid a business case for the expansion.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    When will the govt learn sometimes u have spend money to make money..... where is our 25 mill...!!!! Barnett u r out next time......GIGS20 or PB what are u up to for the 4 years.... job opportunity there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I understand why Vern is talking about the requirements for upgrade, but I reckon winning rugby matches will increase the profit margin!

Don't get me wrong, MES is still a bit of a sow's ear, but the proximity and the view are what will bring bodies in.

I personally don't think much will be done until it's chock-a-block every match. We've done our job in getting the move to a proper rectangular stadium, it's now up to the Force and Rugby WA to use it to buid a business case for the expansion.
    i think what he may be speaking about specifically is the corporate facilities, from what ive heard MES is lacking quite drastically in the corporate facilities department, and these are actually the high yield part part of patronage for matches.

Like you said, near capacity grounds will also increase the profit margin but the serious money is made in the corporate facilities.

MES has looked great on TV the last few home matches, i dont know what the crowds have been but it has looked near capacity for most of the games. Sounds like a crap load more atmosphere then what Subiaco provided as well.

vCash
    The Crusaders match will be the litmus test. If we get 18k in a trial against the 'Saders imagine how many are going to want to get in for our last home game of the season. (OK so a lot of them will be in 'Saders colours but...)

It's going to be a great atmosphere!

vCash

Wish I was still living in East Perth

I used to live 5 minutes walk away from MES.

It would be awesome for me

Let the force go in 2009

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramoth View Post

A bit further away now, aren't you mate! How's life in the Lakes?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    A bit further away now, aren't you mate! How's life in the Lakes?
    bloody cold,i would expect

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramoth View Post

Living in Mount Lawley is fantastic Wifey knows if I will be in good mood as she can hear the roar of the crowd.... and have dinner and a stubbie on the table after a 14 min walk home

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    When will the govt learn sometimes u have spend money to make money..... where is our 25 mill...!!!! Barnett u r out next time......GIGS20 or PB what are u up to for the 4 years.... job opportunity there
    Sorry mate, I restrict shit-speeck solely for online use, couldn't survive in the high paced world of political arse-covering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i think what he may be speaking about specifically is the corporate facilities, from what ive heard MES is lacking quite drastically in the corporate facilities department, and these are actually the high yield part part of patronage for matches.
    Yeah, that's exactly what he's talking about TOCC, but TBH he's talking to a govenment who only has eyes on one thing, and that's votes.....there are far more votes available in 25,000 season tickets than there are in 2000 corporate seats.....it won't help RugbyWA's bottom line at all, but they have no political capital until a whole bunch of voters are left pawing at the gates to get in.

The other avenue is to push the business community in WA to fund the upgrade themselves (Private equity rears it's head again) to do this, you have to show there's a buck in it.......that will still require a sold out stadium, either way, the ball is firmly in Vern's court, I think Rugby WA have been doing OK, let's face it WA people aren't particularly forgiving of a team that isn't winning and there are still good crowds coming along, If we begin to perform at home, the crowds will swell as usual and we'll be in the happy position of having a waiting list for memberships.....once that happens, the political and business model will make people take notice.

C'mon the

vCash
    The crowds can't really swell any more. The shed is usually close to full and the grandstands are members areas, so the spaces are those who can't make it to the game.

The crowd figures of 18,000 will lead politicians to say that the 20,700 capacity is just right, but the 18,000 figure is a complete guess and I doubt they count the number of people who get turned away on the night.

The seating capacity on the west side is woefully poor. An extra 5,000 at least could easily be fitted into the area if the stand is demolished and seating like the east and south sides is put up. Leave the changing rooms and that area as they are until better facilities have been built.

vCash
    The stand on the western side of the ground is heritage listed

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    At the rate WA is growing it would be crazy not to be building future proof stadiums anyway (at least 25,000 with excellent corporate facilities) but will that happen? I don't bloody think so.

It was amusing watching Vic premier John Brumby saying that they needed the 1.2 billion dollars from the government to support their health system. If you needed 1.2 billion John, why did you spend all that money on a rectangular stadium for a sports team that didn't necessarily exist yet?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast