Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New home puts Force on firmer footing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    why did you spend all that money on a rectangular stadium for a sports team that didn't necessarily exist yet?
    That's an incredibly rugby-centric comment!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I just get really annoyed that the WA economy has been fuelling that of Australia for the last 10 odd years and we have two stadiums that wouldn't look out of place in a third world country. I'm probably not the only one.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    why did you spend all that money on a rectangular stadium for a sports team that didn't necessarily exist yet?
    Melbourne Storm or Mebourne Victory ring any bells?

I just get really annoyed that the WA economy has been fuelling that of Australia for the last 10 odd years and we have two stadiums that wouldn't look out of place in a third world country. I'm probably not the only one.
    Maybe you should look at the incompetant State Government as well

Hopefully with any new stadium they actually plan for the future unlike the last Subi upgrade. But that was the fault of the WAFC

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    let's face it WA people aren't particularly forgiving of a team that isn't winning
    *Cough*

Dockers...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    jargan got it...

vCash

Stadia

Maybe you should look at the incompetant State Government as well

Hopefully with any new stadium they actually plan for the future unlike the last Subi upgrade. But that was the fault of the WAFC
    I am not sure this state needs more stadia. We have the infrastructure and space around this infrastructure to upgrade.

I have always been in favour of upgrading the current grounds. It would have to be a much cheaper option, even if the crowd numbers are lower for a couple of years due to seating restrictions.

Just my opinion but I stand by it.

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    The stand on the western side of the ground is heritage listed
    I know. No idea why, though. The stand's cr*p and hardly architecturally outstanding!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I know. No idea why, though. The stand's cr*p and hardly architecturally outstanding!
    Buggered if I know either to be honest

vCash
    That stand is the biggest problem with the development of MES. If the government insist on keeping it heritage listed the best option would be to turn the pitch 90 degrees and have it as a end stand. The trouble is that would result in an east-west pitch which leaves one team playing into the sun for evening games.

If the heritage listing gets removed, then alternative players facilities should be built, the stand torn down and a proper, full-sized stand built in it's place. If built big enough the stand can then hold a fair chunk of the current capacity whilst the 'temporary' East and South stands get re-built. Lastly the Shed end can be done, although I'd like the elements of the Shed kept - it's unique in S14/15 rugby. The re-build of MES will have to be piece-meal anyway, as it gets used most of the year for us and the Glory.

vCash
    The heritage value of the stand has had me baffled ever since TWF became involved in pushing for an upgrade/new build. I think it's actually an eyesore when compared to stands like those at the SCG & North Sydney Oval. I'm not opposed to protecting architectural heritage. But the gates at the northern end are the only part of Perth Oval worth preserving. IMO.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Last time I looked, I got the impression that while the TOV considered the entirety of ME bank stadium listed (including the grandstand), the State and national listing only included the tennis pavilion and perhaps the gates. Those I could understand, although I would also include the fig trees on the eastern side.

Looked at purely as a functional structure, the grandstand is a colossal waste of space in terms of how many seats it provides relative to how much sideline area it consumes. It seems the first development will be an eastern stand - the second should certainly be a (less expensive) western analogue. It is also worth noting that, if the government plan to reportedly emulate Skilled Stadium is correct, the grandstand would have to go.

Champion
    vCash

You are living in WA .....Wait Awhile........... Geoff Kennett started in the West last week that the WA govt should be building a new stad. quick to entice foreign sport visitors to the state at the mo visitors are lucky to get a ticket.... Where is our social dividend. Sharpie for PM

vCash
    Yeah, but the West are also pushing for a third AFL team. I'm not sure I follow their logic, though, as they said that people who don't follow the Eagles and Dockers would follow the new team. Why? If you follow AFL you'd support a local team.

There was also an article from an AFL bigwig saying that WA is losing out on tourism dollars because interstate fans can't get tickets at Subi - all the tickets are taken by members. Isn't it that the revenue from member's tickets goes to the club, but the revenue from other tickets goes to the AFL? Not particularly subtle, are they?

Anyway, back on topic...

vCash
    Why? If you follow AFL you'd support a local team.
    Not neccesarily, I have several mates who despite being born here in Perth/WA continue to support interstate teams. Even 3 who go for Collingwood

Champion
    vCash
    Yeah, but the West are also pushing for a third AFL team. I'm not sure I follow their logic, though, as they said that people who don't follow the Eagles and Dockers would follow the new team. Why? If you follow AFL you'd support a local team.

There was also an article from an AFL bigwig saying that WA is losing out on tourism dollars because interstate fans can't get tickets at Subi - all the tickets are taken by members. Isn't it that the revenue from member's tickets goes to the club, but the revenue from other tickets goes to the AFL? Not particularly subtle, are they?

Anyway, back on topic...
    Election coming up Sheikh.......... vote for the party that wants to see WA move forward. Barnett couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast