Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World Cup winning coach Eddie Jones open to interest from Western Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    where do i start?

eddie jones might be a decent coach technically, however his manmangament was absolutely terrible, he actually got worse as the years progressed as well, manmanagment represent about 50% of what the coaching role is about.

Eddie Jones did not build the brumbies into who they are today, that honour unquestionably goes to Rod Maqueen, he introduced a style of rugby based on the talent which he had at his disposal that Eddie copied when he took over. Rod founded the brumbies and was involved heavily in everything from there colour and logo design up to hand picking players for recruitment.

Moving onto the Reds, yeah he inherited a distinctly average squad, however he did himself no favours when he turned around to Julian Huxley and told him he was not good enough. Berrick Barnes was a favoured son because during one of Eddies belittling of some of the younger players Berrick stood in and told Eddie where to shove it.

Eddie was signed mid 2006 for the Reds 2007 season, so there was no shortage in time allowed for planning, he came up with a game plan designed on tight play, yet the players in the squade werent up to the task. His persistance in a tight play game with players who were not physically capable was one of the inherent problems in the Reds massive injury toll in 2007. Which culminated in the infamous 92-3 drubbing against the Bulls in the last game of the season, Eddie's game plan for this match as to "just throw it around"... which isnt a bad philosphy but he was using a team which had trained for 10man rugby all year and lacked the necessary skills or mindset.

As for the Wallabies, whilst he did lose many great players at the start he did take over a team with a winning culture. Also a quick glance over the super12 tables from 1999-2005 is a pretty consistent theme of Australian teams in the finals, yet this was not replicated at the test level. At the end of the day he finished with 7 losses on the trot and the lowest win/loss ratio in wallaby history.
    Ooooooooook TOCC here are some key points;

1) His man management skills were fine, the problem was that his gameplans were too technical. A perfect example was that set piece from the scrum, where every back was in a line behind one another, directly behind the scrum. As the ball came out of the scrum each player went their own way and the defence had no bloody idea what was going on!

When it came off it resulted in a try, but too many times they'd either forget or just plain old not understand the plan because they were getting too complicated.

2) MacQueen only coached the ponies for 2 years, it was 4 years later that the ponies won the S12. Now by that logic does it mean if aus win the RWC next year it's because of Connolly?!???

The style of play from MacQueen to Jones was in no way similar. MacQueen always played with the tight five, Jones played with the breakdown and inside backs. So to say MacQueen had anything to do with those ponies titles is just delusional!

3) Huxley wasn't at that point in his career. And I think you're taking that the wrong way aswell. Look at Dingo Deans, dropped Sharpe and said he wasn't good enough in the tight and now he's one of the best locks in the comp because he has moved in.

Barnes should sort out his own game before he starts telling people where to go!

4) 2007 with the reds, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a title in the first year when you're coming off what the reds had. They would've had 50+ put on them in Afrikaa no matter who the coach was. It's all in the context mate.

5) *pepsimax facepalm*

Why on Earth would you say S12 performance should dictate how a national coach does at test level? Waugh never really performed at the international level, he just wasn't quick enough even though he has the skills. Baxter was rubbish until last year. Dunning was rubbish at international level. There are so many Blackadder's in the aus S12 teams that it's not even worth talking about!

The wallabies under Eddie Jones primarily sucked because of the scrum, when Darwin snapped his spine, that was the last good scrummager aus had for about 3 years. You had Dunning/Baxter sucking it up on one side and Young on the other trying to descretely bring it down without conceding a penalty.

Australia still doesn't have a scrum school, or a provincial championship and they are the main reasons it took so long after all the players left in 01 & 03. What's worse is that people actually expected what happened in 99/01 even though the ARU was sucking money away from grassroots and buying leaguies. Jones even publicly stated he didn't want Rogers in the squad but he was pressured by the HPU.

6) I believe the honour of worst percentage goes to Connolly, I also think Eddie Jones has a higher winning home % than Dingo Deans!

edit> I don't know why you'd smite a bloke just for telling the truth!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jombi; 04-04-10 at 20:23. Reason: smoted!!!

vCash
    We want players who want to come to the Force, not run away.
    Eddie isn't going to draw players to us, he's going to frighten then off.

vCash
    Why is Eddie Jones hawking himself around for a job if he's so good jombi?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Why is Eddie Jones hawking himself around for a job if he's so good jombi?

Because he wants more Super titles I assume, he's already got a world cup!

I think people just don't get how bad the wallabies were post 01. It was a miracle that he got the wallabies to the RWC final and NEARLY pulled off another miracle.

The ironic thing is that at world cups, Eddie Jones is more successful than Mitchell, Deans (assistant under Mitchell), Connolly & Henry. Pretty sure Deans would only be the more successful one than him at Super Rugby level.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    No, no, no - anyone but Eddie. We all know where he talks from......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    Ooooooooook TOCC here are some key points;

1) His man management skills were fine, the problem was that his gameplans were too technical. A perfect example was that set piece from the scrum, where every back was in a line behind one another, directly behind the scrum. As the ball came out of the scrum each player went their own way and the defence had no bloody idea what was going on!

When it came off it resulted in a try, but too many times they'd either forget or just plain old not understand the plan because they were getting too complicated.

2) MacQueen only coached the ponies for 2 years, it was 4 years later that the ponies won the S12. Now by that logic does it mean if aus win the RWC next year it's because of Connolly?!???

The style of play from MacQueen to Jones was in no way similar. MacQueen always played with the tight five, Jones played with the breakdown and inside backs. So to say MacQueen had anything to do with those ponies titles is just delusional!

3) Huxley wasn't at that point in his career. And I think you're taking that the wrong way aswell. Look at Dingo Deans, dropped Sharpe and said he wasn't good enough in the tight and now he's one of the best locks in the comp because he has moved in.

Barnes should sort out his own game before he starts telling people where to go!

4) 2007 with the reds, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a title in the first year when you're coming off what the reds had. They would've had 50+ put on them in Afrikaa no matter who the coach was. It's all in the context mate.

5) *pepsimax facepalm*

Why on Earth would you say S12 performance should dictate how a national coach does at test level? Waugh never really performed at the international level, he just wasn't quick enough even though he has the skills. Baxter was rubbish until last year. Dunning was rubbish at international level. There are so many Blackadder's in the aus S12 teams that it's not even worth talking about!

The wallabies under Eddie Jones primarily sucked because of the scrum, when Darwin snapped his spine, that was the last good scrummager aus had for about 3 years. You had Dunning/Baxter sucking it up on one side and Young on the other trying to descretely bring it down without conceding a penalty.

Australia still doesn't have a scrum school, or a provincial championship and they are the main reasons it took so long after all the players left in 01 & 03. What's worse is that people actually expected what happened in 99/01 even though the ARU was sucking money away from grassroots and buying leaguies. Jones even publicly stated he didn't want Rogers in the squad but he was pressured by the HPU.

6) I believe the honour of worst percentage goes to Connolly, I also think Eddie Jones has a higher winning home % than Dingo Deans!

edit> I don't know why you'd smite a bloke just for telling the truth!
    well i did have a nice big reply done up, but the laptop ran out of charge, otherwise i would have gone through and pointed out your errors.

So all im going to say is that result are the only thing which matters in coaching. He might be a good coach techincally but he is absolutely shithouse in the man management side of the house.

vCash
    you guys might as well stop the argument

If Jones becomes coach we will be doomed for another 4 years

vCash
    Players will sign under Eddie Jones. He just had issues with the useless QLDRU and Reds admin. Most of those Rugby dilettantes have now moved on... Eddie would be good for the Force. You get Eddie and you'll get some of Jake White anyway, their good colleges and mates...

He has done better at 2 RWC than Mitchell..

vCash
    Todd Louden!!?? as M15 dog said, eddie is gnna freak everyone out

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Because he wants more Super titles I assume,
    or possibly because he's being shown up even in Japan as an inflexible coach with a gameplan which doesn't cut it in the modern age.
    The ironic thing is that at world cups, Eddie Jones is more successful than Mitchell, Deans (assistant under Mitchell), Connolly & Henry. Pretty sure Deans would only be the more successful one than him at Super Rugby level.
    Yep, that's pretty good, pointing at a bunch of coaches who haven't won a World Cup and saying Jones has been more succesful than them.......the simple fact is that you could have selected almost every coach of the AllBlacks and he's been more succesful than them....it doesn't mean hes a suitable coach for a modern S14 team.

Is he paying you money?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    or possibly because he's being shown up even in Japan as an inflexible coach with a gameplan which doesn't cut it in the modern age.
    In Japan? We could both probably coach a Japanese side and my cat could be the forwards coach!

Yep, that's pretty good, pointing at a bunch of coaches who haven't won a World Cup and saying Jones has been more succesful than them.......the simple fact is that you could have selected almost every coach of the AllBlacks and he's been more succesful than them....
    That is exactly my point mate, Eddie Jones got a rag-tag bunch of players who weren't good enough (specifically the frontrow) and had 50 put on them by the allblacks to the RWC final. Eddie Jones outsmarted Mitchell/Deans pure and simple.

John Mitchell should have lead the allblacks to the 03 RWC final, but he did exactly what you are accusing Eddie Jones of doing - became too inflexible and had ZERO backup plans when the first one failed.

it doesn't mean hes a suitable coach for a modern S14 team.
    Actually I think it does, since at Super Rugby level is where Eddie Jones has been most successful. He took a team in the ponies which was basically where the force are now. A good platform of core players and new ones coming through, and he led them to a title and put in place the core leadership group structure, as Larkham said many times.

Is he paying you money?

He bloody well should be!

vCash
    If Eddie is considered the "powers that be" have very short memories, after him shouting to anyone who would listen, very loud, and very long, what a HUGE mistake it was gving Perth the nod over Melbourne....I am sure we can find someone more worthy of coaching our boys.....

No thanks Mr Jones..take your ball and play somewhere else..!!!

vCash

He took a team in the ponies which was basically where the force are now

ah no champ, the Brumbies were a grand finalist team when Eddie Jones took over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ah no champ, the Brumbies were a grand finalist team when Eddie Jones took over
    As are we!

You've also got to remember the emergence of Canterbury, joining Auckland at the top of the Super8/10.

Now don't get me wrong, as I've said before in this thread I don't want Eddie Jones by himself as head coach, but we would be _very_ stupid if we didn't try to grab him as an assistant or attack coach.

vCash
    As are we!

You've also got to remember the emergence of Canterbury, joining Auckland at the top of the Super8/10.

Now don't get me wrong, as I've said before in this thread I don't want Eddie Jones by himself as head coach, but we would be _very_ stupid if we didn't try to grab him as an assistant or attack coach.
    Sorry mate, I don't want to continue the argument beyond the point where it's completely obvious that we'll never agree but to have the last word, we would be _very_ stupid if we considered Eddie Jones above your cat!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast