Thread: Force out to be Super 14 party poopers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force out to be Super 14 party poopers

Force out to be Super 14 party poopers

By Justin Chadwick, AAP April 2, 2010, 8:09 pm
    AAP © Enlarge photo

The Western Force will attempt to become the wrecking ball of the Super 14 competition after breaking their 2010 duck in thrilling style against the Stormers in Perth on Friday night.
    Former All Blacks' five-eighth David Hill's drop goal after the siren sunk the Stormers 16-15 and lifted the Force to their first win of the season and off the bottom of the table.
    The Force tackle the Highlanders and Blues in New Zealand over the next two weeks, before returning home to tackle the high-flying Crusaders.
    Mitchell said his side feared no team and were eager to climb more rungs of the ladder.
    "We can get so much better, so there's the exciting thing," Mitchell said.
    "We've still got a half a comp to go, so we'll move forward from here.
    "We can enjoy tonight but it's important not to throw away what is working for us.
    "I think the boys have got a real sense of feeling that they can dominate and dominate for long periods of time.
    "Clearly they've got great trust in their 'D' at the moment."
    Hill only arrived in Perth from Japanese club Toshiba in late February after answering a SOS call from the Force, whose flyhalf stocks were devastated on the eve of the season when former Springbok Andre Pretorius tore his hamstring off the bone.
    Hill missed two long-range penalties in the second half against the Stormers but more than made up for it with his match-winning drop goal from 35m out, sparking wild celebrations among the players.
    "It's my first Super drop goal, my third ever," Hill said.
    "I don't kick a lot of them, so it makes it more surprising but a bit more worthwhile and special.
    "It (the plan to go for a drop goal) was made up with about a minute to go from the scrum and it was appropriately named Toshiba.
    "I think I showed there running around (after scoring) it was a lot of relief, a lot of emotion came out from the players.
    "We've put in so much hard work.
    "It was good to reward the boys in that way."
    Stormers' five-eighth Peter Grant booted five penalties for the visitors, while David Pocock notched the only try of the error-riddled match in the 14th minute, with the lead changing hands six times in the second half.
    But the Force's first victory of the season could come at a cost, with winger Scott Staniforth suffering a possible tear in his calf.
    Mitchell said the win was just reward for what has been a tough season.
    "I'm thrilled for the boys," he said.
    "The changing room is what rugby's all about ... happy faces, smiling.
    "There would be a few boys in there, including Hilly, that probably needed to grab a bit of paper to sing the Western Force song."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...party-poopers/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Yeh we have a good run in now with only the Crusaders and Blues to really worry about

Predict another 4 wins this year.... if they play like they did last nite

Player
    vCash
    If they can roll the Landers this weekend, I dont really see the Lions being an issue. The Cheetahs will be tough, but I think we can do that as well. That will be 4 wins. I wouldnt be surprised to see us roll either the Blues or Sadists, to give 5 wins. That would be a low to mid table finish and what I predicted at the start of the year, and certainly very good considering the start we had.

When is Shep back?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    According to commentary Shep said pre match he will be ready for next week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.