Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pocock and Brown Back for Barnstormer

vCash

Pocock and Brown Back for Barnstormer

Wallaby backrowers David Pocock and Richard Brown will return to action for the first time since week one of the 2010 season when the Emirates Western Force host the Stormers at ME Bank Stadium on Good Friday.

Pocock has overcome a serious finger tendon injury, and will slot into the starting XV in his customary openside flanker role while Brown will start on the bench in his first action since dislocating his shoulder against the Brumbies.

“I’m really happy and looking forward to playing,” Pocock said.

“It has felt like a long time sitting on the sidelines and it was frustrating not being able to help the team.

“I’ve been doing a lot of work in the gym alongside Richard Brown and we’re very keen to get back into the action and both of us are excited about being in the team.

“Obviously it hasn’t been the season any of us had hoped for to date and I can’t wait to get back and contribute.”

In other changes in the pack, Pek Cowan moves to loosehead prop, with Nic Henderson rested, while Matt Hodgson, who is having a stellar season, moves to No.8. Tim Fairbrother, Nathan Sharpe, Tom Hocking and impressive rookie Ben McCalman retain their positions while Wallaby prop Matt Dunning returns as a reserve after missing two matches with concussion.

“The way that we’ve seen Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman and Richard Stanford step up has been terrific and the pressure is definitely on me now to perform well coming back into the team,” Pocock said.

“The Stormers will be a huge challenge, they have a great side with plenty of Springboks but it’s one that we’re all very excited about and we’re looking forward to a big game.”

In the backline, Ryan Cross has been named at inside centre and Mitch Inman outside him, with James O’Connor shifting to fullback. Nick Cummins has not been named, but could return should his appeal against a two-match ban be overturned at his hearing, which will be held today (Wednesday) at 3pm AWST. In Cummins absence, Mark Bartholomeusz will start on the left wing, with Haig Sare on the bench.

Chris O’Young and David Hill will continue their halves partnership, with Brett Sheehan yet to overcome a hamstring complaint. Veteran winger Scott Staniforth maintains his spot on the right wing after confirmation of an extension to his short-term contract for the remainder of the 2010 season.

Two potential debutants come onto the bench, with scrumhalf Justin Turner and hooker Nathan Charles named for the first time. Charles, an Australian U20’s representative, has signed a four week deal with the club to cover for the injured Ryan Tyrrell who will take no further part in this year’s campaign. Turner has been a member of the Force Academy for two seasons and will get his chance to impress on Friday.

“We’ve stepped up in the past few weeks, you can see that even from sitting on the sidelines, and as long as that intent is there on Friday night and we come out ready to play it will be a good game,” Pocock said.

“It has been great to see the way the crowd have got behind us at ME Bank Stadium, hopefully we can really use that this Friday night and turn it into something special.”

The match is also the Emirates Western Force ‘Family Day’ with activities for the entire family at the special precinct area inside Gate 1.

2010 INVESTEC BANK SUPER 14 WEEK EIGHT
    EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE V STORMERS
    Friday, 2 April, 2010
    ME Bank Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off: 6.05pm AWST, Gates open: 4.05pm AWST
    Great seats still available, grab your ticket at www.westernforce.com

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Ben McCalman
    7. David Pocock
    8. Matt Hodgson
    9. Chris O’Young
    10. David Hill
    11. Mark Bartholomeusz
    12. Ryan Cross
    13. Mitch Inman
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. James O’Connor

Reserves

16. Nathan Charles
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Richard Stanford
    19. Richard Brown
    20. Justin Turner
    21. Sam Harris
    22. Haig Sare

Unavailable: Cameron Shepherd (thigh), Andre Pretorius (hamstring), Brett Sheehan (hamstring), Ryan Tyrrell (neck), Sam Wykes (thigh), Dane Haylett-Petty (ankle), Joelin Rapana (hand), Jono Jenkins (ankle), Nick Cummins (suspended 2 weeks).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Bloody hell, that's ringing the changes then!

vCash
    16. Nathan Charles

Brumbies academy hooker? When did we get him? Suppose it frees up Pek to return to LH. Long term the coaches are probably comfortable with Whittaker and Tyrell anyway.

No spot for Swanepoel. Thought he handled himself pretty OK last week. Maybe the coaches are wanting to give both rookies a run while Sheehan is out.

Bam back in & Browny on the bench.

Roll on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I absolutely knew there was a GOD..I promise to be extra specially good now..

vCash
    thank goodness we have those two back (no disrespect to the team for the previous few weeks). but things can only go onwards and upwards from here.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Cross at 12? Wow. Big call. Booyah at Bam's return! Him and Hodgo will be total menaces. Look out stormers.

Force by 12

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Senior Player
    vCash
    You little beautie!! Great to see Bam Bam and Browny back, and good reward for McCalman and Hodgo with their selection - esp Hodgo at 8.

Would have liked to see Barts retain fullback and JOC at 12 with Crossy at 13 and Inman on the wing. But perhaps they will exchange positions during the game.

13 is a tough defensive position - a big tsk for Inman.

If Barts is on Habana he won't have the speed.

Swanepoel really deserved another go.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    16. Nathan Charles

Brumbies academy hooker? When did we get him? Suppose it frees up Pek to return to LH. Long term the coaches are probably comfortable with Whittaker and Tyrell anyway.

No spot for Swanepoel. Thought he handled himself pretty OK last week. Maybe the coaches are wanting to give both rookies a run while Sheehan is out.

Bam back in & Browny on the bench.

Roll on.
    Yeah I don't really understand that much either but great stuff. Charles and Whittaker are really promising players.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash

INTERESTING CHANGERS TO THE LINE UP...

JM doesnt rate mark batho under the high ball??? bit tough. I guess JOC will come in a floating 1st 5/8, as Crossy cant kick. Why keep Crossy inthe line up beats me.

In other changes to the side that lost 28-15 to the Bulls last Saturday, Pek Cowan moves to loosehead prop after starting the season at hooker while Matt Dunning has been named on the bench after recovering from a bout of concussion.

Halfback Chris O'Young retains his spot in the run-on side after Brett Sheehan failed to shake off his hamstring complaint and rookie scrumhalf Justin Turner could make his debut after being named on the bench.

James O'Connor has been switched to fullback, Ryan Cross shifts to inside centre and Mitch Inman has been handed the No.13 jersey.

Scott Staniforth, whose short-term contract with the Force expired after last week's game, retains his position on the right wing after signing a new deal with the club that will see him play out the season in Perth

Player
    vCash
    Nathan Charles is an exellent player. Not too excited at the prospect of a Hill-Cross inside combo though. Here's hoping JOC comes in PLENTY!

vCash
    I will be fascinated to watch the Hill-Cross-Inman tank charge - it may well be the spark that Crossy needs. Worth a try and nothing to lose - still got Spanner JOC and Bart to swing into attacking plays.

Really looking forward to some even more intense forward mongrel.

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We don't really have the pace to play the wide game. The Stormers would probably tear us to pieces if we did. Keep it tight and keep it under control and exploit their ill discipline.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Perhaps they could play in the backline?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Assuming a run for both on that is going to be 18 Force debuts and 11 Super Rugby debuts this year!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    A Hill-Cross 10-12 combo gives a pretty heavy inside defense, and as Crossy doesn't kick we should some running rugby on attack (that, or Hill kicking at every opportunity!)

I'm surprised at Henderson getting rested, unless the coaches are keen to get both Pek and Dunning back at prop prior to the New Zealand trip. I'd have left Henderson in the line-up and dropped Dunning myself, but he went OK against the Reds (but only OK).

I wonder if Hodgo and McCalman will swap positions on Stormer's scrums? That way the Stormers have a choice of where the ball goes: the side of the incumbent Wallaby 7 or the Australian form 7. Tough call.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast