Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A blueprint for the post-Mitchell era

vCash
    a big NO to knuckles & eddie jones

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that Mitchell is going to leave at the end of next season, for players looking to move to WA or even retaining players within WA, the coach and succession planning is a major issue.

Would RugbyWA be better off looking for a new coach at the end of this season so the players at least know who they are signing on for?
    TOCC has raised a very important issue that we cannot simply ignore.

And this is not an issue as to whether you think Mitchell is a good coach or not.

The Force will need to sign some good quality players for next year (a couple of backs and a couple of forwards I would think.)

The Force will expect new players to sign for at least 2 years. I think it will have a big bearing on the decision making process for players at the elite level as to what the coaching set-up is in their prospective new club.

Do we really expect a quality player to move to Perth knowing that the current coach is on the way out and we can't tell him who will be coaching him in the second year of his contract?

I have no problems with Mitchell as a coach and I think he has done a good job to date but the Force need to look forward to a fresh start next year and not have the 'Mitchell Saga' drag through next season as well.

I think before the end of the season we will hear of a new head coach being signed for next year and John Mitchell will find himself a new coaching job for next season in either S.A. or Europe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    I think before the end of the season we will hear of a new head coach being signed for next year and John Mitchell will find himself a new coaching job for next season in either S.A. or Europe.
    A lot of public comment last week seemed to me to be about posturing for contract termination negotiations.

Verne Read implied at the end of last week that the Force are already drawing up a list of potential candidates and that they are expecting interested parties to express their interest sooner rather than later.

I'll put money on there being a new coach in place not long after this season is over - which unfortunately will be early May for the Force.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Blackswan;251310]A lot of public comment last week seemed to me to be about posturing for contract termination negotiations.

I agree, thats the impression I got as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    I'll put money on there being a new coach in place not long after this season is over - which unfortunately will be early May for the Force.
    I would too. Whether the 2012 coach is in place as head coach in 2011, will be interesting. Vern Reid mentioned in his press statement, discussions about "an on-going role for JM after his formal agreement" with the Force has ended. Did not indicate, to me anyway, that they are after paying his contract out and appointing a new coach any time soon.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    While the Force will obviously be sounding out prospective coaches, the reality is that the player/coach merry-go-round really cranks up post RWC. If there is a prospect out there at the moment without a gig for next year, one would have to be wondering why...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2