Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The flat backline

vCash

The flat backline

Ok first let me qualify this post, I am slightly drink and getting more drunk as the night goes on, so my opinion is worth just as much as you paid for it, now that is out of the way;

While I was sitting there at MES, fiddling with my pink bra I had a flashback, like a bolt of lightning hit me in the bra - the flat backline of 2003.

It just hit me why we couldn't win this game in about the 60th. We had brilliant defence, every player was giving it their all and showing passion - but we had the flat backline on attack.

Now rather than putting this as a 'should Mitchell go' post, I'd rather put it like this;

Can Mitchell change the backline to suit the opposition?

Much like the other post on here I was mighty impressed with the force tonight, I shook Sharpes hand with a smile on my face even though we lost. But the fact remains, if we employ the flat backline against South Afrikaan teams like the bulls & stormers, we will get gobbled up.

I'm sure Rex will come in and say Hill sucks, but I think it's more than that, we made ground at nearly every run around the ruck, but when we went to the backline they were flat footed, and as my coach told me when I was 11 years old "You want to be running onto the ball" !

PS> I lost my bra tonight, my mate bought me one of those pink bras and David Hill signed it, so if any of you found one with his signature it's mine! AND I AM PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT'S RETURN!

PSS> Afrikaans should not be allowed to referee games.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The backline could do with some tweaks, i can't see why JOC should be doing so many hit ups with Cross outside him.

Also, Hill's passing game was impressive, a lot of positives tonight. All he needs now is some better service from the 9.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    The backline could do with some tweaks, i can't see why JOC should be doing so many hit ups with Cross outside him.

Also, Hill's passing game was impressive, a lot of positives tonight. All he needs now is some better service from the 9.

Did we watch the same game?

Hill was farking aweful.

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    He set up so many chances for cummins. You have probably not played rugby for years, you probably can't pass a ball yourself let alone know what a good pass is.

editied for swearssss

Last edited by jazza93; 20-03-10 at 22:57.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    Did we watch the same game?

Hill was farking aweful.
    I think you watched him playing for the Waikato U19s.

He had a good game playing the traditional pivot roll, which he is there for and had some good runs.

He is basically a casualty of the flat backline, as he takes it close to the ruck.

Now I know you're going to say 'well he should go back into the pocket!!!', but everyone would be infront of him then and he'd have to kick it with no option of running it.

We have one of the best forward packs in the comp, if we can run a traditional sloped backline down to the wing, we can put 50 on the bulls next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    I think you watched him playing for the Waikato U19s.

He had a good game playing the traditional pivot roll, which he is there for and had some good runs.

He is basically a casualty of the flat backline, as he takes it close to the ruck.

Now I know you're going to say 'well he should go back into the pocket!!!', but everyone would be infront of him then and he'd have to kick it with no option of running it.

We have one of the best forward packs in the comp, if we can run a traditional sloped backline down to the wing, we can put 50 on the bulls next week.
    JOC to 10 ftw!

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    JOC to 10 ftw!
    *facepalm*

If you put O'Connor at 10 with that flat backline, you basically negate him. He can not make a inebreak against 5 forwards defending the ruck. The force do not play with the flyhalf sitting back, they do it with him sitting just outside the first forward runner (usually Sharpe).

Saying J'OC to flyahlf is like saying JESUS RODE A DINOSAUR. It's all nice and good, and you're allowed to beleive and have faith in what you want, but in reality it won't help anyone.

vCash
    I want to see JOC at 15 next week. With Inman or Staniforth at 12. It seems all the 12 and 13 did tonight was hit it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    I want to see JOC at 15 next week. With Inman or Staniforth at 12. It seems all the 12 and 13 did tonight was hit it up.
    Which is the role of the 13.

Cross had an OK game but made no linebreaks, which is what he's really there for.

Spanners at 12 is a good call, since he can offload the ball in the tackle and then have O'Connor run onto the play, rather than start it himself;.

I just don't know about Bart, he was _OK_ at fullback, but O'Connor would've been better there. Without a *sparky* flyhalf O'Connor is a bit of a waste at 12. So maybe he at 15 is better with Bart on the bench to cover the inside backs.

DHP could've been used tonight aswell.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    DHP was injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    DHP was injured.
    Stannard wasn't, we just let him go.

We miss a *spark* in the backline now for O'Connor to run onto/feed off.

vCash
    Hill was FINE... he made one error and it it actually turned out in our favour when he tried a box kick 5m out from our line.. luckily one of the Tah half charged it and it still went out.. other than that he defended well, passed well and kicked very well.
    Dont understand what game Bronski wanted him to play... He is NOT Matt Giteau he is NOT Cooper... He is a Big guy and he cant step like they do so dont expect him to break the line as often as they do.. What does well is sometimes what Giteau was criticised for not being able to do and that is distribute, run straight and kick the ball OUT...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Hill was FINE... he made one error and it it actually turned out in our favour when he tried a box kick 5m out from our line.. luckily one of the Tah half charged it and it still went out.. other than that he defended well, passed well and kicked very well.
    Dont understand what game Bronski wanted him to play... He is NOT Matt Giteau he is NOT Cooper... He is a Big guy and he cant step like they do so dont expect him to break the line as often as they do.. What does well is sometimes what Giteau was criticised for not being able to do and that is distribute, run straight and kick the ball OUT...
    more than one error! his terrible kick from inside our 22, lead to the line out that mitchells try was scored from.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    more than one error! his terrible kick from inside our 22, lead to the line out that mitchells try was scored from.....
    minor in the scheme of things.. a hooked kick happens to Carter at least once every game.. cmon if thats what youre basing your assesment of his whole game on well i think your expectations are just a little too high!

vCash
    I was more than impressed with our backline - in particular Mr Bartomeus - for a debut at 15 at that level he was in the correct place and made our defence look like a defensive line rather than the leaky sieve we've had for the last couple of weeks.

JOC at 12 WORKED - the backline was cohesive ( not prefect prehaps a little flat at times ) - but they actually had the courage to attack and the necessary skills and technique to actually execute attack.

Spanners - why did we let him go - his heart is nearly as big as Sharpe's for some reason last night our back line worked together - even Crossy got a couple of good runs with the necessary support.

BRILLIANT to watch

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast