Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The flat backline

Player
    vCash
    I hate to say it but Cross is looking pretty average to my eyes this year... Can't see him getting a Wallabies call up ahead of Tyrone Smith and Horne. I'd like to see Inman given a good shot at 13- or even Cummins- that's where I think he'll end up for the Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah agreed Tommy, certainly not up to his standard of previous seasons at this stage. Perhaps he needs another run at 12 as he did for Aus A a couple of years ago, may be the answer to helping him straighten up some more.
    In his defence though, last night Marto got stuck into him for the Mitchell tackle/bulldogging 9m into touch and basically saying he was owned by a smaller player. After the first step it was only going to end one way as Drew hit him while he was off balanced. He did havea couple of other clangers you wouldn't expect of a senior player though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I will agree that the backline does need some tweaking!

Now I will also admit that Joc does play well pretty much where ever he is slotted, and always gives his all!

This said, as far as I can see he is definately the best kick out of defence, and also a damn good runner when returning a kick. He would always be my pick as fullback.

As for having spanners back, he needs to be playing in inside. Even though Joc did play well, it is much better having a more experienced and larger inside centre. Again my opinion!

Cross would also be my pick at outside, but he hasn't had the best season so far. But this season hasn't gone to plan!

As for the wing I have no idea!

The forwards are sorted, even when we don't have our full strength forward pack the piggies still seem to go hard!

Our half back situation is good. Seems to be a nice combination, two halves, that is working well. I would hope we can keep it for a few years.

The play maker roll is of course a issue, but I think Mitchell is doing his best with that situation!

Over all the team is a good group, just hard to create chemistry in a team when they haven't played much rugby together. Yes they are professionals but team chemistry does help!

Any how I hope things keep getting better for the team. Guess it really can only get better!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Backline I would like to see

15 Batho
    14 Cummins
    13 Inman
    12 joc
    11 spanner
    10 hill
    9 Sheeh's

worth a try (sorry pun there) I reckon Spanner at 13 would be worth a go

vCash
    I was chatting with Tinky on Saturday morning and it was clear that the modify their game plan based on their opposition. For those who know him, obviously Tinky was focussed on forwards play, but I'd assume there's a backs plan as well. It's got me fcked what it was with that flat back line, but there you go.

Oh, and I've said it somewhere else in here - I'm sorry, but I don't think DHP is ready yet,

vCash
    The title of this thread got me thinking... My dad talks a lot about how back in the days of Mark Ella, David Campese, and the like, the backline was MUCH flatter in attack than it is now days. I remember these games, but was too young to really analyse it... So I looked into it a little...

Here is some footage of Mark Ella scoring 4 tries in 4 games in the grand slam tour of '84..

I noticed that their backline is not flat at all, same as it is now days...

So what's the point of this post? Well I'm not sure... But those old games are still great to watch...

Champion
    vCash
    something to do with that the defending team has to be a certain distance back now...not too sure. I am sure there is a good reason but great memories there... alot more gaps in the general play then.

vCash
    Having watched the game again would not be surprised to hear that Crossy has a virus or carrying an injury - he really used to be much faster

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Re "Flat Backline", I think the missing word is "relatively".
    Prior to that Backlines were extremely deep (staggered), almost at 45 degree as it is written up on classic team sheets.
    The emphasis use to be on bursting onto the ball at full speed and having enough space to step or pass back to the next player in the tackle. "Quick hands" weren't that common and most importantly, virtually every position was a good yard slower too, which created it's own gaps.
    In virtually every modern scrum you will see the two Backlines spread across almost the entire width of the field as they now have the speed (and speed in the Backrow) to cover far greater area of the paddock.
    To see Rugby as of the old days I would suggest we would need to widen the pitch by 15 to 20 yards to counter the increase in player speed and endurance.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    That was a pretty good performance by the Force on Saturday night. They played with alot of passion which was good to see but a few refereeing decisions went against them.
    Hopefully this week will be even better even though the Force are playing the Bulls, with the returning Dunning, Cowan and maybe Pocock.
    How do we think JOC is going at 12, for mine he is the best player in the team and I don't think we are fully utilising him playing him as a 12, for mine I'd move him back to 15. I was surprised Sam Harris wasn't used the other night, bring him on with 20 minutes and substituting Bart and moving JOC to 15. With a solid 10 and JOC at 15 I think Harris playing in his more accustomed postion of 12 he will go well.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Having watched the game again would not be surprised to hear that Crossy has a virus or carrying an injury - he really used to be much faster
    That was what I was wondering, as I actually thought he didn't look well. Whatever it is, he has certainly appeared tentative in attack and seems to be decelerating into contact.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe it's the haircut...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    When he broke away on Saturday, there was a time with the start he had, no-one would catch him...he seemed to be lacking confidence and was looking right and left to ditch the ball, instead of just foot to the floor and making for the try line..very surprised he was brought down...

vCash
    People are ragging Cross quite a lot lately. He's played just OK for mine and we need him in the starting side. I suspect he may be still carrying the injury.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    People are ragging Cross quite a lot lately. He's played just OK for mine and we need him in the starting side. I suspect he may be still carrying the injury.
    I reckon you're right....He's always been a favourite of mine...JM will sort it I am sure..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast