Thread: Mitchell has no regrets about quitting Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell has no regrets about quitting Force

Former Western Force winger Drew Mitchell left for the Waratahs because he was concerned about the potential strength of the Perth-based Super 14 club this season.

The flyer, one of 14 players to leave the Force last year, came west in 2007 on the promise of big dollars from then Force sponsor, the Firepower company. He left when the business collapsed and wanted to ensure any new contract was rock solid.

He has no regrets about the move - but knows he is likely to cop a sledging when the Tahs clash with the Force in tomorrow's Australian Super 14 derby.

Mitchell, who scored four of the Tahs' 11 tries in their 73-12 romp over the Lions in Sydney last weekend, said: "There were a few things I took into account when I made the decision. After my previous contract I wanted facts rather than intent, I wanted to make sure things being offered were factual.

"When I was making my decision the focus of the club was on retention rather than luring, but a lot of the other guys were leaving.

"So many guys had left, not so many signed up. I wasn't going to forecast the future. I didn't know who I was going to be playing with.

"That weighed into it. Obviously I took footy into account but I also wanted to get closer to family and friends. I was isolated from those who were close to me."

Mitchell, who will be hoping for an early birthday present - he is 26 next Friday - expects an earbashing from the ME Bank Stadium crowd.

"I expect there will be a bit of niggle but I guess it will probably come from the crowd," he said.

He is also sporting a new shaven headed look.

"I've taken away the easy target, the long blond hair, but I think I might stay infield and not out on the wing," he joked.

Despite the move, Mitchell said he had kept an eye on the fortunes of his former club.

"They did recruit well, especially in the front row and in getting Andre (fly-half Pretorius). It's just unfortunate that they were hit by so many injuries," he said. "That amount of injuries would test any team. I hope they can bounce back."

Force head coach John Mitchell has shown faith in the starting side that was demolished by the Queensland Reds on Sunday.

He has made only three forced changes to the reserves.

Hooker Pek Cowan, who has shoulder and neck problems, is replaced by Ben Whittaker, prop Kieran Longbottom steps up to replace Matt Dunning, who has concussion, and teenager Luke Jones goes on to the bench for flanker Jono Jenkins, who broke an ankle just seconds into his Super rugby debut in Brisbane.

"You'd think some players are going to respond because they weren't happy with the last performance," Mitchell said.

"You don't go and throw a whole lot of things out the door or react emotionally. We've put accountability back on the same team. It's important to settle on selection and get some continuity within the same players."

Exciting young Queensland prop Laurie Weeks has become the second player, and the first Australian-based, to sign with the new Melbourne Rebels rugby franchise.
    The signing of Weeks, who joins former England fly-half Danny Cipriani, was announced yesterday.

Friday
    Blues v Brumbies at Auckland
    Saturday
    Bulls v Hurricanes at Pretoria
    Crusaders v Lions; Christchurch
    Highlanders v Sharks at Dunedin
    Western Force v Waratahs at Perth
    Stormers v Cheetahs at Cape Town

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...uitting-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What a lying sod. He knew he was going by Round 3? last year. The Brumbies game.

vCash

vCash
    Fair enough.. He came... got ripped off... served this time and departed... he played better rugby than the current wingers... cut him some respect... he served your club well...

vCash
    He was indifferent to be honest...

as for the rest of your reasoning... sorry cant read it from all the bullsh1t flying

vCash
    You should take him gifts... why is Spanner on the wing? should he be at 12 or 13?

vCash
    Now there's a surprise. Mudguts taking the high moral ground, preaching to the masses. Again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I can understand his point of view. He's got a rugby career that he has to look after. The Western Force, initially, was looking like a great place to develop and grow as a player. Then a number of things happened all at once.
    1) Firepower fiasco
    2) Lots of key players leaving
    3) No visibility for new recruitment
    4) The coaching fiasco (when John Mitchell was banned from all contact with players)

So he had a choice of either staying with the team and put his future with the wallabies at risk, or move on to a team that had the potential to continue to grow his career.

I can see the same thing happening again very soon. And more pressure on the Force to retain players with a 15th team being created...

Will this stop me sledging him this weekend? Probably not

vCash
    Of those four:
    1) OK - but the Force have found alternatives.
    2) He was the first of the 'key' players to sign away so he can't use that as an excuse.
    3) See 2) - he wasn't to know that there was no recruitment when he signed for the Tahs.
    4) Wasn't he one of the instigators of the coaching fiasco?

I'd say that 4) (and maybe a bit of 1)) is the main reasn for him to leave, with maybe a bit of the Digby "I want to be back near the family" excuse. If he wanted away, fine. See ya. We thought he had plenty of depth, but Shep's injury has hit the backs hard.

vCash
    I hope he ends up regretting it tomorrow.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    They seem like pretty stock answers to the media, and i don't think he said anything about regrets. But if it gives another excuse to shout at him, what a lying idiot!

Champion
    vCash
    a mix of all of the above........ but Drew Mitchell is a follower (shallow type of guy and is influenced by others around him) and he new Gits was leaving early on and thought good for him good for me........Valantine the same to a degree.
    Good on u JOC and Bam bam sticking with the Force. 2011 the year all Aussie teams will be be savaged by the rebels so we will all be on a more level playing field... I hope. Rebels wont wont toi pick up too mant Force players (Sheps Pek. Hoskings, and Browny will go prob.) but we will have the nucleus of a good team

vCash
    Pek wont go, and i dont think Sheps will either.. but thats just a hunch

vCash
    Of course he's got no regrets; Even if he did it's not like he's going to announce it to the media.
    He came, he honoured his contract, he left.
    I try to not get too sentimental about these things because after all it is now the professional era. Players are workers and can choose whom they wish to work for. The turnstyle merely chose another employer.
    "Thanks for the memories, make sure your locker is clean before you leave".
    It just makes loyalty such a special commodity.

Last edited by normie; 20-03-10 at 07:41.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who the hell is Hoskings?