Thread: HUX: Back Courageous and Brilliant

vCash

Thumbs up HUX: Back Courageous and Brilliant

Huxley set for Super 14 comeback

Two years after he was diagnosed with a brain tumour, Brumbies full-back Julian Huxley could cap off his remarkable comeback with a return to the Super 14 as early as next week.

"As I've slowly ticked off each box along the way, that moment could be coming," he said.

"I've just got to keep focused and get another game in this week and that's all I can do and then it's up to [Andy Friend] and the coaches.

"It would be a special moment and a special day.

"I don't know how I'm going to contain myself, I'll just have to hold it all in if I ever make it back out there."

The 30-year-old played in his first game of rugby union on Sunday since he had successful surgery to remove the tumour, turning out for the Brumby Runners.

He played a full 80 minutes and set up three tries, helping guide the team to a 36-16 win.

"I was aware that there might be some second thoughts there, but after the ball was kicked off it was just business as usual and after that final whistle went it was like 'I've done it so it was great fun'," he said.

Huxley had gain medical clearance from doctors, the Australian Rugby Union and the Brumbies before returning to the field.

He now has one solid game of rugby under his belt and says he does not want people to worry about him.

"I'm looking forward to people relaxing a bit more and enjoying the journey with me, rather than worrying about me," he said.

"I got winded on the weekend and everyone's hands went on their heads but I was OK."

Huxley says he could not be where he is today without the support of his family and his "rugby family".

"I actually signed another two year's worth of contract a month before they found my tumour," he said.

"Andrew Fagan, the Brumbies CEO, came in and said 'Hux that's guaranteed, you go do what you have to do' and he said 'if you ever come back, we're here for you'.

"That was a massive load off my mind.

"I wouldn't be in the same spirits or same place without that support so this is a special place here at the Brumbies.

"I'm very lucky to be a part of it and that's a big reason why I wanted to get back and be around it again."

His ambition does not end there.

Huxley now wants to prove himself to Brumbies head coach Andy Friend by earning a place back in the Brumbies 22 and it could happen sooner rather than later.

Friend says he wants to give Huxley another week playing for the Runners but he has hinted he might be ready to go as early as March 26 for the Brumbies' home game against the Chiefs at Canberra Stadium.

"He was pretty special out there, it looked like he hadn't spent a day off the park," Friend said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...rt&section=all

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Feelgood!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!