Melbourne Rebels jumping the gun, says NSW's off-contract Freier

GREG GROWDEN

March 16, 2010
The Melbourne Rebels' plan to shortly unveil Adam Freier as their first high-profile Australian signing has hit a snag with the former Waratahs captain yesterday saying he was nowhere near deciding where he will play next year.
Freier admitted to being surprised that his name was revealed as being top of a list of players set to be announced as joining the Rebels in the coming days.
The other Australian players linked to the Rebels are prop Laurie Weeks, second-rower Adam Byrne and halfback Richard Kingi from the Queensland Reds, NSW Academy winger Peter Betham, former Waratahs forward Tim Davidson, former Wallaby halfback Sam Cordingley and former Waratahs utility back Lachlan Mitchell.
While admitting he had talked to Rebels officials, Freier yesterday stressed he was a long way from deciding whether to move to Melbourne, stay with the Waratahs or head overseas. While the Waratahs yesterday said they wanted to keep Freier, the Western Force, who are struggling to field competent front-rowers this season, is another option for the 29-year-old Wallaby hooker.
''Like every person who is coming off contract, I have spoken to the Rebels,'' Freier told the Herald yesterday. ''And I have definitely entertained the thought [of going to Melbourne]. But as far as signing with the Rebels, well I've had nothing given to me in writing. I've yet to talk to the ARU, I've yet to talk to NSW, who have stood by me for nine years, and especially over the past 12 months, when they have been unbelievable.
''As far as I'm concerned there is a reasonable amount of faith there that I need to repay. Everyone knows how much I love the Waratahs and being that sort of person, there's no way I'd do a car-park deal off the cuff without going to NSW and at least consulting with them.''
Freier, who is scheduled to return to the field in several weeks following back surgery, said he was appreciative of the Waratahs' support while he has been sidelined.
''It is disappointing that there has been a lot of colour involved with this story. But at the end of the day, every person who is coming off contract is going to be a possibility of joining the Rebels,'' Freier said.
''I'm negotiating with no one at the moment … and I will have a conversation with the ARU this week. I still do think I have a lot to offer rugby, on and off the field. There is also the temptation to go overseas, but at the moment I just don't know.''
NSW Rugby Union chief executive Jim L'Estrange was as intrigued by the Rebels' list.
''From our understanding, a few of those names aren't as close as the Rebels would like you to believe,'' he said. ''You would expect Adam to be pretty transparent, as he is a Waratah through and through, and our understanding is that no decision has been reached one way or another.
''And we are very keen for Adam to stay … [hooker] is a position that you need depth and experience in … with an expanded Super competition, you will need a lot of cool heads. So we'd like Adam to be with us.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0315-q9rg.html